2004 Democratic Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 Democratic Primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 59
Author Topic: 2004 Democratic Primary  (Read 439825 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: March 21, 2004, 05:38:23 AM »

Frank McKenna, former Liberal Premier of New Brunswick, has announced he won't seek a federal seat in the upcoming federal election.  That's bad news for Martin's Liberals, as they're scrambling to catch star candidates.  Their task has been pretty difficult since the outbreak of the Sponsorship Scandal.

Any news on Romanow? Both the Liberals and the NDP were trying to get him to run last I heard.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1001 on: March 21, 2004, 05:45:10 AM »

Stephen Harper has finally won the CPC leadership contest in the first ballot.

Here's the results aired on CPAC.

Stephen Harper: 15,614.7 points
Belinda Stronach: 9,922.2 points
Tony Clement: 2,663.1 points

Finally some good news for Martin...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1002 on: March 21, 2004, 08:05:07 AM »

www.electionprediction.com has finally started doing the Federal election.
Smiley
They seem to have bandwidth problems.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1003 on: March 21, 2004, 08:09:05 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2004, 11:36:29 AM by Al »

That happend to them in the Ontario election as well...

Most likely seat to change hands: Regina-Lumsden-Lake Centre, Sk=NDP gain from Con
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1004 on: March 22, 2004, 09:53:46 AM »

Spring election now. Harper's going to have a power base in the party by the Fall. Martin has to strike quickly. Time is on the side of the opposition, the Liberals will move quickly. If Clement won they'd of moved a little slower, I think he already could of had the party behind him. If Stronach won she'd take a hell of a long time to unite the CCP. But Harper will take some time, not a lot, possibly by Autumn. A quick election will hurt Harper cause then he has to draft the platform cause there won't be time for a party convention, the Red Tories will see this as the Alliance agenda being shoved down their throats. They'll vote Liberal.

Siege40
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #1005 on: March 22, 2004, 04:38:52 PM »

Any news on Romanow? Both the Liberals and the NDP were trying to get him to run last I heard.

I got no news on Romanow.  However if he decides to run with the NDP, that would be an upset for the Liberals in Saskatchewan.

I may not be right but it seems Liberals may not get a great pool of star candidates this year.
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #1006 on: March 22, 2004, 04:43:02 PM »

What good news for Martin? Taking all the 8 Conservative remaining seats in the Atlantic while losing around 40 in the rest of the country? (i.e., minimum of 10 seats to the BQ in Quebec, 20 to the CPC in Ontario, and 10 to the CPC in the West)
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1007 on: March 22, 2004, 05:15:27 PM »

Do you think that Harper can be a national canidate. Everytime I hear from this guy it, "I'm the one that will break into Ontario..." Sure! What about the other third of our nation? Harper is a confusing man, he'll do extremely well, or moderately ok. Vote NDP, I've heard their numbers jumped in Quebec. Quebec!!! NDP can do it!

Siege40
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1008 on: March 22, 2004, 05:57:56 PM »

Harper will do pretty badly.  Stronach would have been the better candidate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1009 on: March 23, 2004, 04:09:58 AM »

What good news for Martin? Taking all the 8 Conservative remaining seats in the Atlantic while losing around 40 in the rest of the country? (i.e., minimum of 10 seats to the BQ in Quebec, 20 to the CPC in Ontario, and 10 to the CPC in the West)

Well... not as bad news for Martin. Harper won't win a majority government...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1010 on: March 23, 2004, 04:17:01 AM »

Vote NDP, I've heard their numbers jumped in Quebec. Quebec!!! NDP can do it!

They have gone from 1% to around 10%. Which in Quebec means no seats unless you get REALLY lucky...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1011 on: March 23, 2004, 04:23:28 AM »

How are the Liberals going to lose ten seats in Western Canada? They've pretty much lost everything there was to lose in the West already.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1012 on: March 23, 2004, 04:28:03 AM »

I got no news on Romanow.  However if he decides to run with the NDP, that would be an upset for the Liberals in Saskatchewan.

I may not be right but it seems Liberals may not get a great pool of star candidates this year.

Romanow is a friend of Chretien... so I guess he won't run for the LPC...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1013 on: March 23, 2004, 05:30:53 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2004, 05:32:29 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

Another Ipsos-Reid poll has been published, the Liberals' recovery seems to be taking a long time.  This poll has the largest sample size among the '04 Ipsos polls to date (n=2111 individuals, MoE 2.1%)

From Ipsos-Reid

Federal voting intention in Canada
LPC Sad 38%
CPC Sad 26%
NDP Sad 17%
BQ Sad 12%

Regional breakdown

Atlantic

LPC Sad 49%
CPC Sad 31%
NDP Sad 17%

Quebec

Bloc Québécois Sad 49%
LPC Sad 31%
NDP Sad 8%
CPC Sad 6%

Ontario

LPC Sad 47%
CPC Sad 31%
NDP Sad 16%

Manitoba & Saskatchewan

LPC Sad 36%
NDP Sad 31%
CPC Sad 24%

Alberta

CPC Sad 57%
LPC Sad 24%
NDP Sad 16%

British Columbia

LPC Sad 33%
NDP Sad 29%
CPC Sad 27%
Green Party Sad 10%

That translates into gains and losses as follows:
Atlantic Lib +9, Con -10, NDP flat
Quebec Bloc +9, Lib -13, NDP +6, Con -6
Ontario Lib -4, Con -7, NDP +8
Man/Sask Lib +9, NDP +8, Con -25
Alta Con -15, Lib +3, NDP +10
B.C. Lib +5, NDP +18, Con -30
On these figures, the Liberals would almost certainly keep their absolute majority of seats.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1014 on: March 23, 2004, 06:34:51 AM »

On the simplistic assumption that the swing will be uniform across these regions, expect the following results:
Liberals 158
Conservatives 72
BQ 57
NDP 20
ind 1

Atlantic: Lib 23 - Con 8 - NDP 1 (bad news for the NDP...)
Quebec: BQ 57 - Lib 18 (routed outside Montreal and the Outaouais)
Ontario: Lib 84 - Con 20 - NDP 1 - i 1 (yes, I know that independent "win" should be pretty much disregarded; and I know the "equal swing" presumption is pretty absurd here, and the NDP actually has a very good chance of picking a few Toronto seats)
Man/Sask: NDP 10 - Lib 9 - Con 9 (for once, it's the NDP who's voters would be better distributed)
Alberta: Con 24 - Lib 4 (all of them in Edmonton)
BC: Lib 18 - Con 11 - NDP 7 (the Conservatives to hang on in most of the Interior, but pretty much routed in the Vancouver Area, and Vancouver Island splitting 3-3 between Liberals and NDP)
I assumed that the NDP would probably take Yukon and the other two territories seats are safe Liberal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1015 on: March 23, 2004, 07:24:39 AM »

Won't happen. The NDP will win at least 3 for sure in NS, and Godin seems safe in NB.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't see the BQ winning that many seats...

I don't see the Liberals gaining in Saskatchwan... and re-distribution has caused some serious problems for them in Winnepeg.

The Liberals win 4 seats in Alberta?! They will be lucky to hang on to the 2 they have now...

The Greenies won't win 10%... I'd assume most of that will go over to the NDP. Uniform swing is a VERY bad idea in BC (the political climate has changed completely...)

Dunno about that...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1016 on: March 23, 2004, 07:31:40 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2004, 07:34:29 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

Won't happen. The NDP will win at least 3 for sure in NS, and Godin seems safe in NB.
That's actually more like the maximum for the NDP over there, but I agree it's quite possible.

I don't see the BQ winning that many seats...
[/quote]They've done it before...

I don't see the Liberals gaining in Saskatchwan... and re-distribution has caused some serious problems for them in Winnepeg.[/quote]This breaks up provincewise as: Manitoba Lib 7, NDP 4, Con 3; Saskatchewan NDP 6, Con 6, Lib 2. So I don't see them gaining in Saskatchewan either...

The Liberals win 4 seats in Alberta?! They will be lucky to hang on to the 2 they have now... [/quote]I'll have to disagree here. This is one province where the technical result is exactly what I'd have predicted anyways.

The Greenies won't win 10%... I'd assume most of that will go over to the NDP. Uniform swing is a VERY bad idea in BC (the political climate has changed completely...)[/quote]It's only a rough guideline, obviously...Yeah, I guess the NDP will probably take a few more than seven seats here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1017 on: March 23, 2004, 07:51:42 AM »

That's actually more like the maximum for the NDP over there, but I agree it's quite possible.

NDP won't lose Halifax or Sackville-Eastern Shore, and would be unlucky to lose Dartmouth-Cole Harbour. They also have a good shot at picking up Sydney-Victoria and the possibility of upsets elsewhere in the province.

It's possible but unlikely.

The Liberals are in trouble in Churchill River (though Goodale is safe in Wascana)... and the Liberals had a bad re-distribution (re-districting) in Winnepeg.

Which ones?

BC looks very interesting this year Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1018 on: March 23, 2004, 08:00:50 AM »

Beaumont, Centre, East and Strathcona.
But as the NDP is not polling higher in the Maritimes than at the last elections, while the Liberals are, I don't see much scope for upset NDP victories here. Toronto is more interesting in that respect.
On Quebec: I don't think the BQ will win by the kind of margin they have in the polls right now, but if they do, they will knock off all those seats.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1019 on: March 23, 2004, 08:21:27 AM »

Beaumont, Centre, East and Strathcona.
But as the NDP is not polling higher in the Maritimes than at the last elections, while the Liberals are, I don't see much scope for upset NDP victories here. Toronto is more interesting in that respect.
On Quebec: I don't think the BQ will win by the kind of margin they have in the polls right now, but if they do, they will knock off all those seats.

The NDP usually gain a few % in Nova Scotia in the last few days of campaigning... (ie: 2003 Provincial election), but they probably won't pick up any seats in NS, other than possibly Sydney-Victoria (which has really strange voting patterns).

I don't see the Liberals winning in Edmonton-Strathcona (as weird as this may seem, the NDP actually have a good chance there...), Edmonton-Beaumont looks safe enough, Edmonton-Centre will be very close (again...) and Edmonton-East is a possible upset.

BTW www.electionprediction.com is working again
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1020 on: March 23, 2004, 08:25:09 AM »

Yeah, I know, I used that just right now for all these swings.
Having been to Edmonton, I actually can't understand how the Alliance could ever win in Strathcona. It's sure got an extremely liberal (American sense) feel. The Southeast of the city, meanwhile, (ie, Beaumont riding) is strongly South Asian. The Southwest though, where I was staying, is terrible. Very affluent suburban nightmare.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1021 on: March 23, 2004, 08:43:25 AM »

Yeah, I know, I used that just right now for all these swings.
Having been to Edmonton, I actually can't understand how the Alliance could ever win in Strathcona. It's sure got an extremely liberal (American sense) feel. The Southeast of the city, meanwhile, (ie, Beaumont riding) is strongly South Asian. The Southwest though, where I was staying, is terrible. Very affluent suburban nightmare.

The CA won in Strathcona because of vote-splitting. They would win around 40%, the Liberals 30% and the NDP 15%

At least the suburban nightmare only covers part of Edmonton... ALL of Calgary is like that...
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #1022 on: March 23, 2004, 11:18:08 AM »

A week ago, during another divisive Liberal nomination contest in Richmond, BC; where 50-year old ladies were hammering each other with their purse.  A Liberal organizer told to a CBC journalist that the party might be lucky to hold 2 seats in the province.

At present Liberals' fortunes don't look good in the West.  The unpopularity of the BC provincial Liberals may influence the support given to the LPC in that province.  In Alberta, the Conservatives are at 60%, while the Libs are under 30%, base on a recent Environic polls of 1,000 Albertans.  In an area of less than 30 ridings using a first-pass-the-post electoral system, a party that gets less than 30% usually gets no seats.  In Winnipeg and the Prairies, the NDP seems to get back its natural support at the Liberals' expense.  In Winnipeg, the popular former Liberal minister Lloyd Axworthy hadn't left any successor.  I think the NDP may get more seats than the Liberals among the ridings won by a party other than the Conservative party.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1023 on: March 23, 2004, 11:27:11 AM »

Remember, everyone, that the existing constituencies will be used for the coming federal election if Martin drops the writ before August 25.  So if the Martin feels his party will have a better chance under the existing district lines, which is fairly likely since new districts would likely decrease the impact of incumbency (although I know it may not mean much in Canada where people are effectively voting for the parties and their leaders) and allow the scandal to have more impact, then he can call an election at an earlier date.  If he feels, contrary to what some here say, that the passage of time will help his party but the new district lines will not, look for him to call the election very shortly before August 25.  Such a move would likely irritate many people, though, since it would be seen as self-serving and would delay a more equitable distribution of seats.  People in provinces (Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia) and parts of provinces that would gain more representation under the new district lines would likely be especially unhappy, while some people who would not gain representation or would even lose some might be grateful to the Liberals (the party might have an easier time holding the Cardigan rindings in P.E.I. and some Quebec ridings, for example).

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1024 on: March 23, 2004, 11:38:03 AM »

In BC, Campbell is dropping like a stone (yay!) and is dragging anyone with the word "liberal" next to their name on the ballot paper with him.
The LPC should hang on to a couple of Vancouver seats... and maybe win a few in the Lower Mainland IF they are lucky...
Meanwhile support for the CA/CPC has almost halved in BC since 2000...
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 59  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies