2004 Democratic Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:37:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 Democratic Primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59
Author Topic: 2004 Democratic Primary  (Read 439296 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: June 02, 2004, 10:12:46 AM »

New SES/CPAC tracking poll:
Lib 36, Con 25, NDP 22

What about the Bloc and Green? 15% Block 2% Green? Do you guys think that the Greens will win any seats at all this election, if so will they get the required seats for party status (3 I think) in your opinion?

Siege

BQ 13, Green 5
---
12 seats are needed for party status... no way in hell the greenies get close to that... they *do* have a chance to win Saanich-Gulf Islands in BC though. But only because it's a *four way* race...
---
I think that 22% for the Dipper's may be their highest number in a respected poll for over 10 years.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1301 on: June 02, 2004, 10:52:37 AM »

New SES/CPAC tracking poll:
Lib 36, Con 25, NDP 22

What does party status mean?  I remember a couple years ago the NDP had like 5 seats, and the PC had 2, and they were called "parties" and included in the debates and such.

What about the Bloc and Green? 15% Block 2% Green? Do you guys think that the Greens will win any seats at all this election, if so will they get the required seats for party status (3 I think) in your opinion?

Siege

BQ 13, Green 5
---
12 seats are needed for party status... no way in hell the greenies get close to that... they *do* have a chance to win Saanich-Gulf Islands in BC though. But only because it's a *four way* race...
---
I think that 22% for the Dipper's may be their highest number in a respected poll for over 10 years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1302 on: June 02, 2004, 11:22:58 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's to do with research money and stuff
Trilobyte

« Reply #1303 on: June 02, 2004, 04:39:16 PM »

Official party status means:

- federal funding for research
- right to ask questions during Question Period
- your MPs are referred to by party name rather than as an Independent
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1304 on: June 02, 2004, 06:00:05 PM »

A cool little graphic I got from pollingreport.
leftofcentre

« Reply #1305 on: June 02, 2004, 08:44:58 PM »

Hey all,

I don't know how many people here are actually from Canada, but I am.  One of the things that I find most frustrating about our electoral system is that, when voting, I often clash between whether to vote locally and take my MP into consideration, or whether to vote federally and take the party leader into consideration.  For example, last election I hated my Liberal Candidate for MP but loved Chretien.  This election, I love my Liberal Candidate and hate Martin.

Then I started thinking about how I'd vote if our country was like the US and we elected our PM like a President.  Personally, I'd vote for a Liberal MP but Jack Layton (NDP) for Prime Minister.

Anyone else care to voice their opinions?  Or, for those outside of canada, any thoughts on which leader you'd prefer?
Trilobyte

« Reply #1306 on: June 02, 2004, 09:19:39 PM »

Hey all,

I don't know how many people here are actually from Canada, but I am.  One of the things that I find most frustrating about our electoral system is that, when voting, I often clash between whether to vote locally and take my MP into consideration, or whether to vote federally and take the party leader into consideration.  For example, last election I hated my Liberal Candidate for MP but loved Chretien.  This election, I love my Liberal Candidate and hate Martin.

Then I started thinking about how I'd vote if our country was like the US and we elected our PM like a President.  Personally, I'd vote for a Liberal MP but Jack Layton (NDP) for Prime Minister.

Anyone else care to voice their opinions?  Or, for those outside of canada, any thoughts on which leader you'd prefer?

Unless your MP is in the cabinet, he/she doesn't really have any power. So if that's the case your best bet is to vote for the party leader you want, and forget about the MP.

For that matter, even if your MP is in cabinet, he/she MUST vote along party lines in Parliament. So I always just consider the party.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1307 on: June 02, 2004, 09:53:20 PM »

A cool little graphic I got from pollingreport.

That first big dip in Feb 2004 is about Iraq.  That last dip is all about gas prices.  It won't affect consumer spending, but it still hurts Bush.

After OPEC agrees to increase production Thursday, Bush needs to wait a couple of days until OPEC has committed to deliveries for the next 4 weeks...then Bush needs to release 100 million barrels from the reserve along with lifting mixture restrictions.

Bush is not to blame for the rise in oil prices, but he is to blame for not doing something to bring the price back down to $30.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1308 on: June 03, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »

Montréal[/b]

Ahuntsic: LPC S
Alfred-Pellan: NCF
Bourassa: LPC S
Hochelaga: BQ RS
Honoré-Mercier: LPC S
Jeanne-Le Ber: LPC S
Lac-Saint-Louis: LPC RS
La Pointe-de-l'Île: BQ S
LaSalle-Émard: LPC RS
Laurier: BQ RS
Laval: NCF
Laval-Les Îles: LPC S
Marc-Aurèle-Fortin: BQ M
Mount Royal: LPC RS
Notre-Dame-de-Grâce-Lachine: LPC RS
Outremont: LPC RS
Papineau: LPC RS
Pierrefonds-Dollard: LPC RS
Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie: BQ S
Saint-Laurent-Cartierville: LPC RS
Saint-Léonard-Saint-Michel: LPC RS
Westmount-Ville-Marie: LPC RS
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1309 on: June 03, 2004, 09:52:26 AM »

What I would do?

Write-in: Belinda Stronach!  I think she's awesome!

Harper gives me the creeps... though perhaps he's not all that bad.  Martin would be a great leader for the Conservative Party... though I probably wouldn't be able to bear voting for a Liberal MP just to get him Smiley

Hey all,

Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1310 on: June 03, 2004, 02:18:01 PM »

I'm starting to write out a platform for massive Federal election reform in Canada. I don't much care for the US example for voting. The Caucus/Primary system gives me a headache, not to mention that whole elector system. When I finish working out the system reform I might post it here. To be perfectly honest I've never cared who the local canidate was, just the party. Not that it matters, in my riding I don't think the NDP have ever won, which is why reform is needed, so all voices are heard.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1311 on: June 05, 2004, 01:16:42 PM »

*WARNING*

Most polls are showing the Grits with a small lead over the Tories and with the NDP polling strong.

BUT...

Most polls at the moment are of little use (except for Environics) until the debates (June 14/15th)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1312 on: June 05, 2004, 02:12:42 PM »

Will the debates be on CSPAN or something?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1313 on: June 05, 2004, 03:49:15 PM »

www.cbc.ca will probably have it on their site.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1314 on: June 05, 2004, 05:41:14 PM »

www.cbc.ca will probably have it on their site.

Global, CTV, CBC CBC Newsworld, CPAC and BBC Canada should all be covering it.

Siege
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1315 on: June 06, 2004, 07:59:18 AM »

Thanks guys

Go LPC!
Trilobyte

« Reply #1316 on: June 06, 2004, 10:51:06 PM »

This one's funny:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1317 on: June 07, 2004, 02:12:25 AM »

Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1318 on: June 08, 2004, 04:01:46 AM »

SES Tracker has a statistical dead heat:

Con 34, Lib 32, NDP 20, BQ 10, Grn 4
DECIDED voters only  

Those debates *are* crucial it seems...
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1319 on: June 08, 2004, 01:28:20 PM »

Hey all,

I am in Canada. I am a Conservative and will vote Conservative, but I'm not crazy about Harper. I come from the Progressive Conservatives and wasn't too keen on Alliance. I am however glad that the parties merged. It actually gives us a chance!
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1320 on: June 08, 2004, 02:23:14 PM »

Hey all,

I am in Canada. I am a Conservative and will vote Conservative, but I'm not crazy about Harper. I come from the Progressive Conservatives and wasn't too keen on Alliance. I am however glad that the parties merged. It actually gives us a chance!

You poor misguided... Beaver, voting Conservative is a TERRIBLE idea, hopefully the fates will smile upon us and give us a Liberal Minority government, or if worse comes to worse, a Conservative minority.

Siege
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1321 on: June 08, 2004, 02:57:10 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2004, 02:59:07 PM by Beaver »

You poor misguided... Beaver, voting Conservative is a TERRIBLE idea, hopefully the fates will smile upon us and give us a Liberal Minority government, or if worse comes to worse, a Conservative minority.

Siege

I assume you are an NDP fan. My dad worked for and is good friends with Brian Mulroney so there is absolutely no chance I am switching parties.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1322 on: June 08, 2004, 02:59:48 PM »

Siege

I assume you are an NDP fan. My dad worked for and is good friends with Brian Mulroney so there is absolutely no chance I am switching parties.

Where are you from (Province) and where is your riding?

Siege
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1323 on: June 08, 2004, 03:12:30 PM »

Siege

Siege

I live in Ajax, Ontario. It's a safe Liberal seat
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1324 on: June 08, 2004, 03:27:53 PM »

Siege

Siege

I live in Ajax, Ontario. It's a safe Liberal seat

I'm not to far away in Brampton West. Which likely will be won by the Conservatives, Tony Clement is here. You're right, I'm a New Democrat, luckily for us, even if the Conservatives are elected they'll have to water down their agenda for the Bloc, NDP or Liberals to help them pass, and a new election would likely be called by Fall or Winter 2005.

Siege
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies