2004 Democratic Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:21:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 Democratic Primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59
Author Topic: 2004 Democratic Primary  (Read 438323 times)
Beaver
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: June 10, 2004, 01:52:29 PM »

New poll by Global National puts the Conservatives in the lead:

Conservatives: 117 seats
Liberals: 112 seats
Bloc Quebecois: 55 seats
NDP: 24 seats

The Liberals still lead in the national percentage with 33% over the Conservatives 30%.

http://www.canada.com/regina/leaderpost/news/story.html?id=12e18e07-05d8-4d95-8159-e8140e264100
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1326 on: June 10, 2004, 03:06:04 PM »

Tommy Douglas save us all if Harper gets elected. Conservatives have officially overcome Liberals in the Province of Ontario and the NDP keep their gradual growth in the province. In other news, my NDP lawn sign just arrived... to the grumbles of the Conservatives across the street.

Siege
Kevinstat

« Reply #1327 on: June 10, 2004, 04:53:17 PM »

How is it determined whether the minority government is a Liberal minority government, Conservative minority government, or other?  Could the Liberals form a government with the NDP or the BQ (or both) that could be described as a Liberal minority government even if the Conservatives won the most seats?  The way some people talk about it makes be think that which party wins a plurality of seats can make a difference beyond just that that party would need a smaller percentage of "third party" MPs in the coalition to form a government.

Also, does anyone think the Conservatives have a shot at winning a majority government?  If the NDP vote in key ridings shot up at the Liberals expense or the Conservatives broke through in Quebec and the Maritimes it could happen.  I'm surprised that neither they nor the NDP seem to have broken through in Quebec, where it seems many people are voting for the Bloc not because they want soveriegnty for Quebec but because they are disenchanted with the Liberals, especially Martin.  When the Liberals were kicking but in Quebec pre-sponsorgate, though, Martin led Duceppe in support for prime minister by a far larger margin then the Liberals led the BQ, so perhaps there was high support for soverieignty all along that was only held down by Martin's then-popularity.  Most likely it's a combination of that and the fact that the NDP and (in particular) the Harper Conservatives turn off Quebec voters.

If the Conservatives won a majority government and the government was popular and seemed strong heading into the next election, the New Democrats might make serious gains at the Liberal's expense in the polls and until eventually (it might take a few elections) they had more seats in Parliament (or were poised to win more) than the Liberals.  You then might see the Liberals decline to where the NDP has been in recent years, and the Canadian party system would more resemble that of the U.S. (apart from the presence of a strong separtist party in Quebec).

Have the Bloc Quebecqois lost ground in Quebec?  They seemed to be headed for more seats there recently.  So maybe the Conservatives are breaking through there.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1328 on: June 10, 2004, 04:57:30 PM »

I think that if the Liberals died off like the PC's just did, that would be a sad day for Canada.  I'm rooting for the CPC over the LPC... but I really want my Progressive Conservatives back!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1329 on: June 10, 2004, 06:07:09 PM »

If the LPC and the NDP semi-unite they can fend off the conservatives.
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1330 on: June 10, 2004, 06:08:05 PM »

That will never happen
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1331 on: June 10, 2004, 06:08:41 PM »

That will never happen

You're probably right Sad
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1332 on: June 10, 2004, 06:11:55 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2004, 02:17:51 PM by Beaver »

I think that if the Liberals died off like the PC's just did, that would be a sad day for Canada.  I'm rooting for the CPC over the LPC... but I really want my Progressive Conservatives back!

The Liberals won't go anywhere. People always talk about NDP becoming a major player which never seems to happen. They look good in polls, but fail to deliver on election day. They are just too far to the left. The Liberal Party will continue to be the main opposition if the Conservatives win.

Yes, sadly the Progressive Conservatives are no more. It is the party I was raised in, and my family has a long history with PC. But if we had not united with Alliance this election would not even be on the radar.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1333 on: June 11, 2004, 04:16:25 AM »

How is it determined whether the minority government is a Liberal minority government, Conservative minority government, or other?  Could the Liberals form a government with the NDP or the BQ (or both) that could be described as a Liberal minority government even if the Conservatives won the most seats?  The way some people talk about it makes be think that which party wins a plurality of seats can make a difference beyond just that that party would need a smaller percentage of "third party" MPs in the coalition to form a government.

Also, does anyone think the Conservatives have a shot at winning a majority government?  If the NDP vote in key ridings shot up at the Liberals expense or the Conservatives broke through in Quebec and the Maritimes it could happen.  I'm surprised that neither they nor the NDP seem to have broken through in Quebec, where it seems many people are voting for the Bloc not because they want soveriegnty for Quebec but because they are disenchanted with the Liberals, especially Martin.  When the Liberals were kicking but in Quebec pre-sponsorgate, though, Martin led Duceppe in support for prime minister by a far larger margin then the Liberals led the BQ, so perhaps there was high support for soverieignty all along that was only held down by Martin's then-popularity.  Most likely it's a combination of that and the fact that the NDP and (in particular) the Harper Conservatives turn off Quebec voters.

If the Conservatives won a majority government and the government was popular and seemed strong heading into the next election, the New Democrats might make serious gains at the Liberal's expense in the polls and until eventually (it might take a few elections) they had more seats in Parliament (or were poised to win more) than the Liberals.  You then might see the Liberals decline to where the NDP has been in recent years, and the Canadian party system would more resemble that of the U.S. (apart from the presence of a strong separtist party in Quebec).

Have the Bloc Quebecqois lost ground in Quebec?  They seemed to be headed for more seats there recently.  So maybe the Conservatives are breaking through there.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau

Well... the Dippers nearly overtook the Grits in '84 and '88... and it certainly is odd that an old style centrist party like the Liberals are still so big in Canada.
I think a lot of it has to be to do with regional polarisation... if the Dippers can poll well *everywhere* they could steal the Grits trump card of being the "only" national party...
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1334 on: June 11, 2004, 02:44:26 PM »

The Alliance wing of the Conservative party, which seems to be dominating has some scary right wing ideas. In time I hope to see Harper's numbers freeze and decline. I doubt that the NDP and LPC would work together, the NDP would likely lose all credibility.

Siege
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1335 on: June 11, 2004, 05:02:55 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2004, 05:04:38 PM by Beaver »

The Alliance wing of the Conservative party, which seems to be dominating has some scary right wing ideas. In time I hope to see Harper's numbers freeze and decline. I doubt that the NDP and LPC would work together, the NDP would likely lose all credibility.

Siege

Yes, the Alliance wing dominates because they were far larger than PC at the time of the merger. Thier ideas, while I disagree with many of them, are no scarier than the ones put out by the New Democrats, nor are they any more right wing than those put out by the American Republicans.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1336 on: June 11, 2004, 06:32:45 PM »

Siege

Yes, the Alliance wing dominates because they were far larger than PC at the time of the merger. Thier ideas, while I disagree with many of them, are no scarier than the ones put out by the New Democrats, nor are they any more right wing than those put out by the American Republicans.

I know, Republicans scare me too.

I just wanted to say to all those here who are registered voters of the Northeast to consider me for the Governorship, I'm specifically talking to Democrats, since their former canidate Handzus was dropped from the race, he's a good guy and endorsed me. So to Kevinstat and all other Democrats, please vote and consider Siege40 for Governor.

Siege
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1337 on: June 11, 2004, 06:36:58 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2004, 06:38:50 PM by Beaver »

I just wanted to say to all those here who are registered voters of the Northeast to consider me for the Governorship, I'm specifically talking to Democrats, since their former canidate Handzus was dropped from the race, he's a good guy and endorsed me. So to Kevinstat and all other Democrats, please vote and consider Siege40 for Governor.

Siege

Republicans don't scare me, but many of them make me very angry(especially Bush).

Can you run in Fantasy Elections as a Canadian, or do you have to pick a state?
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1338 on: June 11, 2004, 06:48:31 PM »

Siege

Republicans don't scare me, but many of them make me very angry(especially Bush).

Can you run in Fantasy Elections as a Canadian, or do you have to pick a state?

I can run since in all technicality I am "in" America.

Just pick a state to be registered in, but you don't have to pick it as an avatar, just makes life easier, go to the Fantasy election section, choose a state, I'd suggest Michigan, New York, Maine, or somewhere in the Northeast, I think Canadians fit in best there. And you don't need a party, just remain independent if you can't pick, but I think PCs in Canada are Democrats in America.

Siege
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1339 on: June 11, 2004, 11:00:32 PM »

As it is generally considered inappropriate to campaign outside the fantasy forums except in signatures, I have posted a response to Siege's post here in a post entitled "ATTN Beaver" in the Fantasy Elections Forum.

You could use one of the Canadian avatars but you would need to pick a state and put that in your signature in order to be properly registered.  Like I said, campaigning here is inappropriate, but I will say that there is a strong centrist alternative to choose Smiley

It should be noted that even up until their unfortunate dissolution, the PC Party was "linked" with the Republican Party via an organization called the International Democrat Union.  PC leaders were regular visitors to Republican conventions and vice versa.  
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #1340 on: June 11, 2004, 11:42:06 PM »

bump Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1341 on: June 12, 2004, 07:18:04 AM »

Interesting news from Brampton:
Following the appointment of a Liberal candidate over the sitting MP in Brampton-Springdale, the Liberal riding executive has endorsed the Dipper candidate!
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1342 on: June 12, 2004, 08:50:36 AM »

Sorry htmldon, I'm a little nervous about the election, and all those I want to gather support from have hidden their e-mails. The race is close, so I'm anxious, I know I shouldn't of posted here, but deperate times call for desperate measures.

And Al, if you remember, the Brampton canidate was "parachuted" in to the area. The riding association was imbittered by the disregard for their authority. So they've pulled support and endorsed the NDP. Good luck Kathy Pounder.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1343 on: June 12, 2004, 08:56:02 AM »

And Al, if you remember, the Brampton canidate was "parachuted" in to the area. The riding association was imbittered by the disregard for their authority. So they've pulled support and endorsed the NDP. Good luck Kathy Pounder.

Siege

Something similer has happend in Niagara Falls: the local MPP (a Grit) turned up at the NDP's nominating thing.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1344 on: June 12, 2004, 09:30:19 AM »

Siege

Something similer has happend in Niagara Falls: the local MPP (a Grit) turned up at the NDP's nominating thing.

Never heard about that one, but the NDP stock just keeps going up Cheesy!

So, I've heard that the Conservatives have over taken the Liberals. Looks like a Conservative Minority government. How stable do you think they'll be? I heard that the Bloc won't work with the Conservatives unless they pledge support for Quebec's air industry. So, if they don't get the Bloc, NDP or Liberals on their side, the Conservatives could be in trouble in goverment, but fine in the election.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1345 on: June 12, 2004, 12:18:29 PM »

Wait until the debates. Very soon now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1346 on: June 12, 2004, 12:42:49 PM »

Found a great photo on the CBC site:

Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1347 on: June 13, 2004, 09:56:17 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2004, 09:57:01 AM by Siege40 »

Found a great photo on the CBC site:

*tear* A truly great man... *sniffle* If I understood how, I'd put it in my signature, but I'm not very tech. savy.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1348 on: June 13, 2004, 02:04:56 PM »

Simple:

The code for the picture is: http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/images/cp/graveyard_ccf.jpg

Put that between too img tags in your sig
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #1349 on: June 13, 2004, 02:08:39 PM »

Simple:

The code for the picture is: http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/images/cp/graveyard_ccf.jpg

Put that between too img tags in your sig

How would I write that, I don't know how to use image tags... *blush*

Siege
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies