SENATE BILL: Productive Committees Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:51:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Productive Committees Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Productive Committees Resolution (Passed)  (Read 3599 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
« edited: April 03, 2013, 11:02:26 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The best way to format the final text would be to incorporate them into each of the Four Sections, thus elongating those and specifying the changes, whilst adding Nappy's as a sixth section.

Going to need these for that:
OSPR
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=151525.0

GOR
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=155053.msg3357176#msg3357176

You must be logged in to read this quote.

NSC
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=155660.msg3361021#msg3361021

JUD
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=156327.0

IA
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=160343.msg3442133#msg3442133

Get It Over With Resolution
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=162178.msg3489349#msg3489349
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »

IA
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=160343.msg3442133#msg3442133

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2013, 11:10:00 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

OSPR
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=151525.0

That is what each resolution would look like with this bill passing. I added in the inserted clauses from the Get It Over With Resolution. Then I added in Nix's amendment (in red), followed by all three of mine (in bold). Napoleon's is last because it is the easiest to do.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »

Frankly- I am not sure the committee system is necessary... I say that hoping to soon join one of them. The Senate has 10 members- 15 if the amendment passes- and dividing further seems unnecessary
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »

I think there is ample evidence that they are necessary, the problem is keeping them functional and getting peopel to actually use them for their respective purposes. A case in point, why has the SoIA done so little? That is a committee responsibility to look into that and find out why.

At the end of the day, the effectiveness of the committees is only as good as the commitment of its members. If they fail, it is because the members failed in their duties as committee members and not because the system itself was lacking or because they lacked a purpose. They are suppose to be a solution to a multitude of problems, but anything that requires time and effort around here, is asking too much. I never expected there would such a disruption of membership during the middle of a session, partially stemming from the selfish defeatism of a group that supposedly upheld competence as the highest virtue of the public sphere, or so we thought and the incompetence and laziness of a number of Senators, who frankly shouldn't have been here in the first place. One of the reasons we always have problems is that the system needs 12 members out of a ten member Senate, and since at least three to five members are inactive almost by default and atleast one is PPT, that means you are pulling a lot out of a narrow band of just five to six members who have to carry the weight of running and for the most part, staffing these committees with active members.

In terms of providing oversight and accountability to officials, there is a clear need and ample opportunity for the Committees to serve a positive role. On the matter of generating ideas and reviewing legsilation, the committees provide an opportunity for a certain degree of specialization and in turn can improve the quality of legislation and even generate large reforms stemming from the work of the committee. That is how the 15th Amendment got passed a few months ago (obligatory Nix shoutout Wink).

I will admit that I am not satisfied with the performance at all, and I have said so publically. I have even said that if things don't change for the better, the committees would potentially come under fire, only to then have things get worse. However, I am reluctant to abandon something that at least in my opinion we seem to need and can be a very effective tool for us.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »

I'll defend the NSC to the death.  We've worked hard on issues that people generally do not care about, and that is a positive thing.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »

I'm happy to withdraw my comments then... the last time I was in the Senate, committees were just getting started so I did not have the experience to judge their effectiveness
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »

I wasn't attacking you, Clarence.  I was extolling the virtues of the NSC Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »

I wasn't attacking you, Clarence.  I was extolling the virtues of the NSC Smiley
That was clear- and I agree fully with you :-)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »

Is there anything that I missed here, or that should be revised now that it is in the context of what is being changed. If by tomorrow, no one speaks, up I will compile this down into a single text and move toward a final vote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »

I actually wouldn't withdraw your comments, clarence, because I agree with you. In fact, I've been tempted to present a "Let's be Honest with Ourselves Resolution," disbanding all committees. I know it's kind of a touchy subject, but... I am so worn down by all the administration that has to go into these committees. And I don't even do the administering.

There's ample work to be done, sure. We can do busy work all we want. We can have the Judiciary debate bills before they come to the floor and then simply watch as its members quote their statements from the Judiciary thread once the bills comes to debate. Or we could stop doing the same work twice.

If there are special tasks that require a committee, by all means, let's pass a resolution to have these special committees set up shop temporarily. But I think all tasks related to a committtee should be delegated to whoever wants to lead the project... the "chairman." That way we keep committees out of senate business so they can maybe go on to tackle issues that the senate doesn't have the time to deal with. Right now, I really do think that the committees represent a lot of busy work. As time goes on, they get more and more enshrined in the senate's culture, even though, quite frankly, they aren't working. I think it's a little bit dangerous.

So if other people wanted to get rid of committees... straight-up, I'd be standing right beside them. In a heartbeat.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2013, 10:37:00 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted

3. Clause 3 of the Government Oversight and Reform Committee Resolution shall be amended as follows:

4. Clause 4 of the Government Oversight and Reform Committee Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 3. AMENDMENT TO THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL SECURITY CREATION RESOLUTION.

1. The clauses of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be numbered as 1-5.

2. Clause 2 of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

3. Clause 3 of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

4. Clause 4 of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 4. AMENDMENT TO THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY CREATION RESOLUTION.

1. Section (3) Subsection (1) of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

2. Section (3) Subsection (3) of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

3. Section (3) Subsection (4) of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 5. AMENDMENT TO THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON INTERNAL AFFAIRS CREATION RESOLUTION.

1. Section (3) Subsection (1) of the Senate Committee on Internal Affairs Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

2. Section (3) Subsection (3) of the Senate Committee on Internal Affairs Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

3. Section (3) Subsection (4) of the Senate Committee on Internal Affairs Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 6. AMENDMENT TO THE OSPR SECTION ON THE SENATE COMMITTEES OVERSIGHT POWERS

1. Article 7, Section 3, of the OSPR is amended as follows:

[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »

Reserved just in case for length purposes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »

And now it gets harder because those two idiots who wrote the first two committee resolutions didn't bother to number the clauses. The second two were both done by the same person and it shows. Scott, oh yes, whatever happened to old fuss and feathers? Damn you Frankie, Damn you to hell!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »

The original bill used an incorrect text for the GOR committee resolution portion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2013, 10:36:26 AM »

3. Clause 3 of the Government Oversight and Reform Committee Resolution shall be amended as follows:

4. Clause 4 of the Government Oversight and Reform Committee Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 3. AMENDMENT TO THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL SECURITY CREATION RESOLUTION.

1. The clauses of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be numbered as 1-5.

2. Clause 2 of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

3. Clause 3 of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

4. Clause 4 of the Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 4. AMENDMENT TO THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY CREATION RESOLUTION.

1. Section (3) Subsection (1) of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

2. Section (3) Subsection (3) of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

3. Section (3) Subsection (4) of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 5. AMENDMENT TO THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON INTERNAL AFFAIRS CREATION RESOLUTION.

1. Section (3) Subsection (1) of the Senate Committee on Internal Affairs Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

2. Section (3) Subsection (3) of the Senate Committee on Internal Affairs Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

3. Section (3) Subsection (4) of the Senate Committee on Internal Affairs Creation Resolution shall be amended as follows:

SECTION 6. AMENDMENT TO THE OSPR SECTION ON THE SENATE COMMITTEES OVERSIGHT POWERS

[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Unknown
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »

Friendly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »

[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 01:09:15 PM »

The amendment has been adopted.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »

Is there anything else people want to do with this? I guess my suggestion of slashing the committees altogether wasn't exactly well-recieved... Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »

Aside from the system itself Tongue, is there anything about it, the way it functions, or whatnot that is innefficient, causes delays or otherwise impairs its own functionality?

Before we abolished them all Hagrid, I would move to consolidate one of them. Possibly merging either the Judiciary or the IA into the GOR, before abolishing them all outright. I said at the time that we were creating them too quickly and should spend a Senator or two with just the two or three to work out the kinks, first. However Scott was determined to the create the IA, far from blaming him for the problem (its the inactives fault actually), it thus may have outstripped the ability of the Senate to sustain them with the addition of a forth. The IA appears to be functioning with Nappy, so the Judiciary is problem more at risk of being absorbed then the IA at this point.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »

Last call!

I hope we don't miss an opportunity to correct some lingering issues that have been forgotten.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »

Senators, this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »

Aye
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States