Romney Continues to Burnish His Conservative Credentials
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:52:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Romney Continues to Burnish His Conservative Credentials
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Romney Continues to Burnish His Conservative Credentials  (Read 12303 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »
« edited: March 02, 2013, 07:04:54 PM by Politico »

President Barack Obama and the U.S. Congress are squandering an “almost once-in-generational opportunity for America to solve its fiscal problems,” former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said.

That opportunity, Romney said in a “Fox News Sunday” interview, according to the transcript, was the combination of the expiration of Republican President George W. Bush’s income- tax cuts at the end of 2012 and the automatic spending cuts that went into effect yesterday.

“I see this as this huge opportunity, and it’s being squandered by politics, by people who are more interested in a political victory than they are in doing what’s right for the country,” Romney said in the Fox interview. “And it’s very frustrating.”

“The hardest thing about losing is watching this, this critical moment, this golden moment, just slip away with politics,” he said.

Romney is scheduled to give his first post-election policy address later this month at the American Conservative Union’s Conservative Political Action Conference in National Harbor, Maryland.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-02/romney-says-sequester-golden-moment-squandered-by-obama.html

I can see Rubio deferring to Bush, Ryan deferring to Romney, and Christie realizing that a pro-choice candidate with health concerns is not the ideal Republican presidential candidate (or he could throw his hat into the ring and easily become the next Giuliani once more Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina Republicans realize his liberal stances on various social issues). Throw in Bush and Palin, a combination which would instantly make another run by Romney seem welcomed, and who knows? Rand or Ron Paul could do their thing, deferring once again to Romney in subtle ways. Rick Santorum might decide not to run, or would certainly be overshadowed by Palin among the hardcore social conservatives if she ran. Huckabee is happy with life and does not appear interested. Gingrich is too old. Perry would not be able to gain support if Bush ran. Bob McDonnell may try to raise his national profile, but can anybody really see him winning? Jindal is DOA.

Considering all of the above, the notion of the 2016 Republican race boiling down to Bush Vs. Romney is not as ridiculous as it seems at first glance...
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:28:26 PM »

Stop. Just. Stop.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

I feel like if Romney is given a real excuse to run, he'll start gearing up in 2015. Perhaps he's trying to become Flavor of the Month Anti-Christie.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:06:00 PM by Politico »

Picture this: Things are worse in 2016 than they were in 2012 or, God forbid, 2008. In that case, what is more powerful than the lines "Don't blame me; I voted for Romney" and "Let's Get it RIGHT This Time"? Steal from the Nixon '68 Playbook with, "This time vote like your whole world depended on it."

Oh, and Romney listens to Hispanics by choosing Rubio this time while improving his standing with women by promising to have more women in his Cabinet than any previous president. Bolster the argument by highlighting Obama's male-dominated Cabinet choices after winning re-election (it will help not having debates about contraception and rape this time around, not to mention the Gingrich/Santorum/Cain trifecta).
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

In that case, what is more powerful than the lines "Don't blame me; I voted for Romney" and "Let's Get it RIGHT This Time"?

The line: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what...who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims..."
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:06:49 PM by Politico »

In that case, what is more powerful than the lines "Don't blame me; I voted for Romney" and "Let's Get it RIGHT This Time"?

The line: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what...who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims..."

Ancient news come 2016 especially since it is difficult to see Democrats having a minority at the top of the ticket next time. If anybody brings that line up during the Republican primaries, Romney will be cheered by conservative Republicans. If anybody brings that up during the fall campaign, it will be seen by everybody as irrelevant to 2016 especially if things are worse in 2016 than they were in 2012 or, God forbid, 2008. Lastly, Romney can finally nip that in the bud this year and the next if need be.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »

Ancient news come 2016 especially since it is difficult to see Democrats having a minority at the top of the ticket next time.
Hillary Clinton
Deval Patrick
You must be logged in to read this quote.
This is exactly the reason they lost in 2008, 2012, and probably will again in 2016.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:12:46 PM by Politico »

Ancient news come 2016 especially since it is difficult to see Democrats having a minority at the top of the ticket next time.
Hillary Clinton

Women make up 50% of the population. Hardly a minority, sir. She will likely not run once she is hit with the realization that focus group polls show that people perceive her as too old, which will certainly be the case come late 2014/early 2015.

NOTHING would be more perfect than running a black Michael Dukakis against Romney. We could not imagine a better record to run against given the fact Patrick and Romney held the exact same position, and clearly Romney did a better job of overseeing job creation while not raising taxes.

They lost in 2008/2012 because nobody delivers BS better than Obama, and nobody delivers the minority vote like Obama. Not even Bill Clinton can come close to competing on those fronts, so good luck finding somebody to replace Obama's successes in those realms...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 07:18:45 PM »

I don't know how many times the "Romney created jobs while not raising taxes" thing has been debunked, but I'll debunk it again. He raised fees all over Massachusetts. ITS THE SAME THING AS RAISING TAXES. It's just a wealth transfer from one form of revenue to another. That's called tricky harry accounting and I expected someone like you to fall for it. And I know how much you hate wealth redistribution.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:52:19 PM by Politico »

I don't know how many times the "Romney created jobs while not raising taxes" thing has been debunked, but I'll debunk it again. He raised fees all over Massachusetts. ITS THE SAME THING AS RAISING TAXES. It's just a wealth transfer from one form of revenue to another. That's called tricky harry accounting and I expected someone like you to fall for it. And I know how much you hate wealth redistribution.

Given the constraints imposed by being Governor of Massachusetts, arguably the most liberal state in the Union, Romney did a great job all things considered. Had he been Governor of Texas, for example, he would have done a much better job than Perry and Bush. He would be a great, conservative POTUS much like Eisenhower, for example.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »

Hillary Clinton

Women make up 50% of the population. Hardly a minority, sir. She will likely not run once she is hit with the realization that focus group polls show that people perceive her as too old, which will certainly be the case come late 2014/early 2015.

In Presidential Politics, they are a minority.

NOTHING would be more perfect than running a black Michael Dukakis against Romney. We could not imagine a better record to run against given the fact Patrick and Romney held the exact same position, and clearly Romney did a better job of overseeing job creation while not raising taxes.
He was 49th in job creation. The election and every fact checker has knocked down the "Romney cut taxes and created jobs" lie.

This is exactly the reason they lost in 2008, 2012, and probably will again in 2016.

They lost in 2008/2012 because nobody delivers BS better than Obama, and nobody delivers the minority vote like Obama. Not even Bill Clinton can come close to competing on those fronts, so good luck finding somebody to replace Obama's successes in those realms...
Or, they lost because people agreed with Obama and didn't like GOP BS.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »

Given the constraints imposed by being Governor of Massachusetts, arguably the most liberal state in the Union, Romney did a great job all things considered. Had he been Governor of Texas, for example, he would have done a much better job than Perry and Bush. He would be a great, conservative POTUS much like Eisenhower, for example.

Thanks for not refuting my point.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »

lol.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 07:58:15 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 08:03:42 PM by Politico »

Thanks for not refuting my point.

Increasing user-based fees is much more palatable than tax increases for all, especially when you consider the former creates far less deadweight loss. Romney would have preferred spending cuts, but he had to deal with a 90% Democratic legislature. You try being Governor of Massachusetts and working with that legislature and those constituents. The constraints would have crippled other Republicans.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 08:03:05 PM by Politico »

Hillary Clinton

He was 49th in job creation. The election and every fact checker has knocked down the "Romney cut taxes and created jobs" lie.

That was 2008, not 2012. In 2012, Obama lost 60% of the white vote. Let's face it: We all know why he won re-election. And repeating that is not going to happen in 2016 with some white guy at the top of the ticket.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

How is anything he said conservative?  He's just a sore loser lamenting the fact that he isn't in charge. 

On the other hand, isn't that what modern conservatism is about?  Lamenting how rich white men don't control 100% of the power in America. 
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

Hillary Clinton

That was 2008, not 2012. In 2012, Obama lost 60% of the white vote. Let's face it: We all know why he won re-election. And repeating that is not going to happen in 2016 with some white guy at the top of the ticket.
And he won 52% of the overall vote, 70% of Hispanics, 72% of Asians, and 95% of Blacks.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

Hillary Clinton

And he won 52% of the overall vote, 70% of Hispanics, 72% of Asians, and 95% of Blacks.

Exactly. Good luck replicating that with a white candidate in 2016.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 08:20:23 PM by Politico »

How is anything he said conservative?

Watch the interview. He's also chosen to make CPAC his first public speech since the election.

No, it's lamenting the economic and cultural decline of America. Rubio, Jindal, Cain, etc. are proof that race has nothing to do with it, but please continue to spew Democratic myths.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »

If Bush is his opponent, I guess I'll have to cast a third ballot for Romney.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 08:28:43 PM by Politico »

Romney continues to burnish his "ordinary guy" credentials with a trip to Costco (it looks like he even shops for his everyday clothes at Costco):

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »

Who?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:24 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 08:26:12 PM by Politico »

If Bush is his opponent, I guess I'll have to cast a third ballot for Romney.

See what I am talking about, folks?

Word out of Florida is that Bush is likely to run, and Rubio is likely to decide not to run as a result. Destroy Christie early on, and Romney has an "in" for "third time's the charm" since Ryan would choose not to run if Romney throws his hat into the ring.

Bush Vs. Romney. You heard it here first, folks.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

Watch the interview tomorrow. He's also chosen to make CPAC his first public speech since the election.

No, it's lamenting the economic and cultural decline of America. Rubio, Jindal, Cain, etc. are proof that race has nothing to do with it, but please continue to spew Democratic myths.

The Republican Party caused this manufactured crisis.  They are agents of economic decline.  And, you can't push Sarah Palin onto the national stage and lament the decline of our culture.  Sorry.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »

Watch the interview tomorrow. He's also chosen to make CPAC his first public speech since the election.

The Republican Party caused this manufactured crisis.  They are agents of economic decline.  \

Yeah, this nonsense was ALMOST a worn out joke by 2012, but it will be deader than dead in 2016 after eight years of decline under Obama *rolls eyes*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies