Opinion of lifetime Secret Service protection for former Presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:16:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of lifetime Secret Service protection for former Presidents
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: FP or HP?
Freedom Policy

Horrible Policy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of lifetime Secret Service protection for former Presidents  (Read 2802 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »

Obama recently signed a law reinstating lifetime Secret Service protection for former Presidents after it was cut to 10 years after leaving office in 1994.

IMO this is a pretty wasteful policy, especially with the budget crisis as it is now. Sure, it makes sense to protect the incumbent President, but once the President is out of office there isn't any great social benefit to doing so. So it's mostly just a perk, but it's a perk I highly doubt the former Presidents value at anywhere near the cost to the government (the article claims it to be in the "tens of millions of dollars a year" per President). How many people have really been scheming to kill (say) Jimmy Carter since 1991 anyway? And even if there have been one or two, is it really enough that a private bodyguard wouldn't be sufficient for?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »

Limited protection for VPs, but I think POTUSs need lifetime protection. We cannot allow an easy target for terrorists.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »

Seems silly. It'd be better to give them the standard protection for 10-15 years ad then maybe supply a bodyguard or 3 after.
Nichlemn

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »

Limited protection for VPs, but I think POTUSs need lifetime protection. We cannot allow an easy target for terrorists.

Is there any precedent anywhere for long-since retired politicians being assassination targets? And even if there some, surely it's much less than present-day politicians and recently retired ones.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »

The cost is minimal and the details for the former Presidents serve as good training and evaluation mechanisms for agents in relatively non-critical situations.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:18:23 AM »

Is there any precedent anywhere for long-since retired politicians being assassination targets? And even if there some, surely it's much less than present-day politicians and recently retired ones.

There was an assassination attempt on George H. W. Bush when he was visiting Kuwait a couple of years after leaving office.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:30:05 AM »

Tjere have been several assassination plots against George W. Bush since leaving office (I think they even found a car bomb outside his house last winter), and Obama has received tons and tons of death threats.

It's really not that big of a cost, anyway. If the former President wants it, he should get it.
Nichlemn

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:39:50 AM »

There was an assassination attempt on George H. W. Bush when he was visiting Kuwait a couple of years after leaving office.

It was the same year he left office (1993). It's understandable that former leaders might face reprisals when the memory is still fresh. But over a decade later?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:00:05 AM »

It was the same year he left office (1993). It's understandable that former leaders might face reprisals when the memory is still fresh. But over a decade later?

Hi, I'm America. I have a lot of lunatics armed to the teeth and like to make many enemies on the world stage, have we met?
Nichlemn

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »

It's really not that big of a cost, anyway. If the former President wants it, he should get it.

Why not give the President a larger pension and let them decide if they want to hire security or not? You could even let them hire the Secret Service. But I'm guessing they wouldn't hire anywhere near the same level of security if it was their own money to allocate.

About the only reason I can think of for why they shouldn't have this choice is that it might change the incentives of Presidents while in office, being selfishly concerned with maximising their own security by avoiding making enemies. But then again, this might be more of a feature than a bug if you think that the US already makes too many enemies.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »

The cost is minimal and the details for the former Presidents serve as good training and evaluation mechanisms for agents in relatively non-critical situations.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »

I'd say it's essential, unless we all want them bumped off.........
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »

I think a President should know that he will be protected for life when he is making decisions about national security. Imagine if POTUS had to worry about whether or not attack on group A may get him killed after he loses his protection. You dont even want a glimmer of that thought to factor into decision making.

Plus cost is minimal.

The Federal government is not 'broke'. There are a million places to cut before this line item.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

This. Also, former Presidents are highly visible and sometimes contrversial public figures. You never know.

Former POTUS can voluntairy give up his protection, like Nixon did, but shouldn't be forced to.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 01:13:01 AM »

Terrible. After they leave office they get a pension and millions in speaking fees. We, the People, owe them nothing. If they want bodyguards, they can hire them. If not and they get bumped off, so be it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

Terrible. After they leave office they get a pension and millions in speaking fees. We, the People, owe them nothing. If they want bodyguards, they can hire them. If not and they get bumped off, so be it.

Unfortunately the body guards aren't wired to our intelligence/law enforcement network like the Silly Service is, but your'e certainly not alone in your viewpoint.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »

Unfortunately the body guards aren't wired to our intelligence/law enforcement network like the Silly Service is, but your'e certainly not alone in your viewpoint.

I'd take two Secret Service guys over ten private bodyguards.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:20 PM »

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 02:25:52 AM »

I look at it this way. It would make them big targets, and lets say some foreign terrorist kidnapped Bush, could you imagine the amount of money and lives that would be spent finding the terrorist and then possibly going to war over the event? America would go nuts going after these guys and would spend millions and billions of dollars retaliating, and it would make the secret service costs look like pennies. So let's just protect the guys, there are much bigger burdens i our budget than this.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »

In light of the sequester, HP.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »

Interestingly enough, jfern, Obama rescinded the 10 year limit on Secret Service protection that was to take place starting with W......

And Kal's right, two Secret Service over 10 bodyguards anyday.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies