Question for Republicans Only: If the 2016 Race Boils Down to Bush Vs. Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:39:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Republicans Only: If the 2016 Race Boils Down to Bush Vs. Romney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Question for Republicans Only: If the 2016 Race Boils Down to Bush Vs. Romney  (Read 4600 times)
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »

Yeah, the press went pretty easy on Bill...

Although I will admit he benefitted from Newt's idiotic idea to shut down the government. He can definitely thank the GOP on that one.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »

Although I will admit he benefitted from Newt's idiotic idea to shut down the government. He can definitely thank the GOP on that one.

Of course they went easy on him, the man was a slease ball to say the least, how many women have claimed he groped them (only to be hushed up by the White House), how many women did he cheat on his wife with yet the media loves him, feminists love him.

The mind of a liberal - "If (D) comes after his name, he's good no matter what he does".
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »

Of course they went easy on him, the man was a slease ball to say the least, how many women have claimed he groped them (only to be hushed up by the White House), how many women did he cheat on his wife with yet the media loves him, feminists love him.

The mind of a liberal - "If (D) comes after his name, he's good no matter what he does".

Agreed. The press definitely clamped down on those allegations of Clinton's infidelity.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »

The media went easy on him? what?
The thing with Lewinsky and the impeachment was on the news 24/7 for about 2 years. Hell, even here in my country that stuff was on the news all the time.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »

The media went easy on him? what?
The thing with Lewinsky and the impeachment was on the news 24/7 for about 2 years. Hell, even here in my country that stuff was on the news all the time.

Just because it was on the news doesn't mean the media was anti-Clinton or gunning for his impeachment, I suspect most of it would have been of the "he's only a man, he's only human" type. Even today the media loves him, grandfather Bill, the darling of the DNC.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »

Romney

Romney ruined the MA GOP.  He is the worst thing that ever happened to anything ever.

Jeb is the GOP future--if you don't start putting ed reform at the center of the platform there is no conceivable winning GOP coalition I can see.

The Bush's nearly destroyed the GOP natiownide, twice. I have yet to see any concrete evidence that Romney damaged the MA GOP in any fashion that could not just as easily have been blamed on the fact that there was a Republican President with a 20% approval rating in the state at the time, whose named just happened to be Bush.

The idea that the future of the GOP is Jeb Bush, makes me laugh. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", anyone?

Yes education should be a center piece, but we don't need Jeb Bush for that. If Jindal wasn't having so many problems in LA, he would be a far better candidate to run on such a platform. He is younger, more in touch with the base, and not a Bush.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2013, 01:17:10 PM by Politico »

Romney

Romney ruined the MA GOP.  He is the worst thing that ever happened to anything ever.

Jeb is the GOP future--if you don't start putting ed reform at the center of the platform there is no conceivable winning GOP coalition I can see.

The Bush's nearly destroyed the GOP natiownide, twice. I have yet to see any concrete evidence that Romney damaged the MA GOP in any fashion that could not just as easily have been blamed on the fact that there was a Republican President with a 20% approval rating in the state at the time, whose named just happened to be Bush.

The idea that the future of the GOP is Jeb Bush, makes me laugh. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", anyone?

Yes education should be a center piece, but we don't need Jeb Bush for that. If Jindal wasn't having so many problems in LA, he would be a far better candidate to run on such a platform. He is younger, more in touch with the base, and not a Bush.

Yeah, one of the reasons why Romney lost last year is because of the shadow of George W. Bush. Heck, if John Kerry had been president in 2006 it's quite possible Romney would have ran for re-election and won that year. 2006, 2008 and 2012 were bad years for Republicans because of George W. Bush. 2010 was an OK year for Republicans (failed to win the Senate and failed to beat Harry Reid) because nobody turned out to vote other than Republicans and the hardest of the hardcore Democrats.

Anybody in the Republican Party who thinks they can win with Jeb Bush in 2016 is delusional!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:42 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2013, 02:27:09 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Romney

Romney ruined the MA GOP.  He is the worst thing that ever happened to anything ever.

Yeah, one of the reasons why Romney lost last year is because of the shadow of George W. Bush. Heck, if John Kerry had been president in 2006 it's quite possible Romney would have ran for re-election and won that year. 2006, 2008 and 2012 were bad years for Republicans because of George W. Bush. 2010 was an OK year for Republicans (failed to win the Senate and failed to beat Harry Reid) because nobody turned out to vote other than Republicans and the hardest of the hardcore Democrats.

Anybody in the Republican Party who thinks they can win with Jeb Bush in 2016 is delusional!

No, Romney lost last year because he had a sh**tty campaign.

1. They didn't have a feel for the real electorate (he planned a 50-50 win on 2004 demographics, which is 47% in 2012 for obvious reasons). A better pollster and game planning for the worst case scenario rather than assuming that 2008 repeat wouldn't happen, and things would have been different.  
2. Poor Second Debate Strategy (seriously, why didn't he just hire Frank Luntz, he had the cash).
3. Failed to either prosecute Obamacare or offer an alternative that also expanded access.
4. Bad Convention structure (especially that part where he pissed of all the libertarians).
5. Waited too long to brand Romney and he let Obama define him.
6. Poor Third Debate Strategy (but a big win in the second would have made this irrelevant).

2010 was a GOP landslide unseen since that of 1946 or 1938, because of the economy and the unpopularity of Obama's agenda items, and yes the turnout model was more traditonal. But it was that same model that tossed out the GOP in 2006. What changed was slighlty higher GOP enthuisam based off their hatred of Obama and the love for the tea party. The Indies were mad at the Democrats because the jobs hadn't started showing up and they hated the way Obamacare came down the pike.

The failure to win the Senate was the lack of a good map (in 1938, a bigger wave by some measures, the GOP won neither house, but managed to established a coalition with Conservative dixiecrats to block the New Deal going forward. 2010 thus is an excellent parallel to 1938 and 2012 is almost as good a parallel to 1940), which the GOP had in 1946 and 1994.  Scuttling certain seats, goes hand in hand with that because there were so few seats up that could be targetted in that class that been elected previously in such a good GOP year as 2004, which thus left a narrowly GOP leaning class up in 2010.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies