What state's borders should be changed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:24:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What state's borders should be changed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: ....
Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming.

Washington D.C.

Puerto Rico Virgin Islands

Marinas Islands and Guam

Other Territories....

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: What state's borders should be changed?  (Read 14946 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2013, 01:33:28 AM »

Incidentally, the North Carolina - South Carolina border is in the middle of being clarified.  Here's a story about it.  The full story has several other problems the clarification is causing.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's the doctor's home.  The blue line is where South Carolina thought the border was, the orange line is where North Carolina thought the border was, and the yellow line is where the boundary commission has determined where the border is.

In other places the border is moving to put people who thought they were in South Carolina into North Carolina, including a convenience store that sells fireworks and beer that it won't be able to in North Carolina. (South Carolina has the most liberal fireworks laws in the US, and the store would be in a dry county in North Carolina.  The store is located on the border mainly to sell beer to thirsty North Carolinians and some 70% of its sales are in those two items that would be banned once the clarification is approved.
Does this have an effect on the Andrew Jackson birthplace?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2013, 08:00:35 AM »

No changes would really serve any purpose worth the trouble of doing it, but dividing a couple of the biggest states would be a good idea if it could lead to more Democratic senators/electoral votes.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »

Here is another idea: combining states.

This is a plan for 8 "Californias" letting CA stand alone and then combining other states along cultural lines until there are only 8 states in total with between 50-60 CDs worth of population each.  The downside is that a COI nightmare Louisiana Purchase state from the Mississippi to the Pacific NW is basically unavoidable:

New States:

Adams (NJ+NY+New England): 60 CDs, 62 EV, Safe D
Jefferson (NC+VA+DC+MD+PA+DE): 52 CDs, 54 EV, Lean D?
Pinckney (FL+GA+SC): 48 CDs, 50 EV, Likely R
Jackson (AR+LA+MS+AL+TN+KY+WV+OH): 55 CDs, 57 EV, Safe R
Lincoln (MN+WI+IL+IN+MI): 57 CDs, 59 EV, Likely D
Houston (TX+NM+AZ+OK): 51 CDs, 53 EV, Safe R (isn't this still Hispanic plurality?)
Sacagawea (AK+HI+WA+OR+ID+NV+UT+MT+WY+CO+ND+SD+NE+KS+MO+IA): 59 CDs, 61 EV, lean R?
Fremont (CA): 53 CDs, 55 EV, Safe D

Northern OH and Western PA probably hate me right now...
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »

Not one for dramatic remakes of borders, but I'd add the eastern WV panhandle to either VA or MD and move SW VA into WV.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »

Incidentally, the North Carolina - South Carolina border is in the middle of being clarified.  Here's a story about it.  The full story has several other problems the clarification is causing.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's the doctor's home.  The blue line is where South Carolina thought the border was, the orange line is where North Carolina thought the border was, and the yellow line is where the boundary commission has determined where the border is.

In other places the border is moving to put people who thought they were in South Carolina into North Carolina, including a convenience store that sells fireworks and beer that it won't be able to in North Carolina. (South Carolina has the most liberal fireworks laws in the US, and the store would be in a dry county in North Carolina.  The store is located on the border mainly to sell beer to thirsty North Carolinians and some 70% of its sales are in those two items that would be banned once the clarification is approved.

Clearly all he has to do is start seeing patients in his swimming pool and everything checks out.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »

Not that I'm aware of.  There are several different locations near the border that are claimed to be the Jackson birthplace, but I don't think any of them are so close to the border as to switch states.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »

This is a plan for 8 "Californias" letting CA stand alone and then combining other states along cultural lines until there are only 8 states in total with between 50-60 CDs worth of population each.  The downside is that a COI nightmare Louisiana Purchase state from the Mississippi to the Pacific NW is basically unavoidable:

New States:

Houston (TX+NM+AZ+OK): 51 CDs, 53 EV, Safe R (isn't this still Hispanic plurality?)
Sacagawea (AK+HI+WA+OR+ID+NV+UT+MT+WY+CO+ND+SD+NE+KS+MO+IA): 59 CDs, 61 EV, lean R?

I think a mountain west/plains split makes more sense here. (60, 57, 52, 59, 55, 51, 49, 53)

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »

New States:

I think a mountain west/plains split makes more sense here. (60, 57, 52, 59, 55, 51, 49, 53)

Your's is visually more attractive and probably has more swing states.  The northern plains and South Florida officially hate you now, though.  The only truly uncontroversial parts are CA and the Northeast because you are forced to draw an NY+New England state to maintain contiguity.  South Florida really can't win in any permutation, but your map gives them absolutely no hope.  I also like that I've managed to preserve 2 pretty rural states (Jackson and Sacagawea) given that 20ish% of the population is still rural.  Yours looks like:

NE state: Safe D
Rust Belt state: Toss Up
DC Area + Appalachian state: Toss Up? (will be D in the near future if not now)
Florida+Deep South: Safe R
TX+OK+LA+AR: Even Safer R (Is this state majority-minority?)
IL+WI+Northern Plains: Is it still Lean D?
Mountain West: Lean D? I think the small hard right states are swamped by the bigger D states?
CA: Safe D

Interestingly, it seems really hard to do this without 5 of the 8 states favoring Democrats.  It's the opposite effect that we see when we divide states and the Republicans gain a bigger and bigger EC advantage.  Could this be because each large state basically has to take in a huge city somewhere?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2013, 05:25:02 PM »

all of them (abolish the states)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2013, 06:21:02 PM »

New States:

Your's is visually more attractive and probably has more swing states.  The northern plains and South Florida officially hate you now, though.  The only truly uncontroversial parts are CA and the Northeast because you are forced to draw an NY+New England state to maintain contiguity.  South Florida really can't win in any permutation, but your map gives them absolutely no hope.  I also like that I've managed to preserve 2 pretty rural states (Jackson and Sacagawea) given that 20ish% of the population is still rural.  Yours looks like:

Mountain West: Lean D? I think the small hard right states are swamped by the bigger D states?

Interestingly, it seems really hard to do this without 5 of the 8 states favoring Democrats.  It's the opposite effect that we see when we divide states and the Republicans gain a bigger and bigger EC advantage.  Could this be because each large state basically has to take in a huge city somewhere?

In 2012 Romney just carries the Mountain West so it's R+2. The Northern Plains goes almost exactly the same as Obama's winning national margin so call it D+0, a tossup. The Rust Belt also goes at less than a half percent above Obama's winning margin so that's also a D+0 tossup. And in the Cumberland Gap states Romney wins by 2,769 votes, so it would be R+2.

Over all the map is 2R, 2r, 2e, 2D and it actually leans R. If these states were the EC, Obama squeaks by 233 to 219.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »

New States:

In 2012 Romney just carries the Mountain West so it's R+2. The Northern Plains goes almost exactly the same as Obama's winning national margin so call it D+0, a tossup. The Rust Belt also goes at less than a half percent above Obama's winning margin so that's also a D+0 tossup. And in the Cumberland Gap states Romney wins by 2,769 votes, so it would be R+2.

Over all the map is 2R, 2r, 2e, 2D and it actually leans R. If these states were the EC, Obama squeaks by 233 to 219.

Interesting.  So my Sacagawea would definitely be a Romney win then (IA+MO is right of AZ+NM).  And my Jefferson should be solidly Lean D if Obama because I am trading TN+WV+KY for PA.  IN clearly doesn't offset IL+WI+MI+MN so my map is also 4D-4R last year (although McCain probably lost Sacagawea in 2008).  With the sizes of my states, my EC is: 228 Obama/221 Romney

It would be pretty hard to avoid 228D/221R in a close election (although Bush might have won Jefferson in 2004).  Jefferson is now going to be more D than Sacagawea is R so my map probably is D-favoring (largely by virtue of the forced NYC+New England state being so populous).

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »

Or for electing Supreme Court Justices:

Jay: (48) ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, VT
Taft: (50) NJ, PA, DE, OH, WV
Marshall: (49) MD, VA, NC, SC, TN, DC
Black: (48) GA, AL, FL
Fuller: (47) KY, IN, IL, MI
Miller: (46) MO, AR, IA, WI, MN, KS, NE , ND, SD, OK
White: (46) LA, MS, TX
Rehnquist: (49) PR, NV, CO, MT, WA, ID, WY, UT, NM, AZ, AK, HI
Warren: (53) CA

Current Justices

Jay: Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan
Marshall: Scalia, Roberts
Taft: Alito
Black: Thomas
Fuller: open
Miller: open
White: open
Rehnquist: open
Warren: Kennedy

Justices will be elected to 12-year terms by thirds.  All districts and all justices will be up for election in 2015.  After that first election, justices and districts will drawn to serve initial terms of 4, 8, and 12 years, with districts selected so that there will be one eastern, southern, and western district each election.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies