The Albright Building, The Office of Secretary of External Affairs Polnut
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:42:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Albright Building, The Office of Secretary of External Affairs Polnut
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Albright Building, The Office of Secretary of External Affairs Polnut  (Read 3213 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »

TRANSCRIPT

Secretary Polnut's Press Conference
6 May 2013

R: Mr Secretary, is it true that neither you, nor the President were aware in advance of the strikes on Syrian targets by Israel?

SP: The simple answer to that is yes. I think we knew there was a chance that in certain circumstances that there would be some sort of Israeli action, but as to this specific set of action, yes, we were not informed.

R: Considering the place of Israel and the Atlasian relationship with them, was it not strange that you did not know?

SP: Actually, I think it might be interesting to know that Israel is sovereign entity and does not need to seek our advice or permission to do anything. We do have strong connections across the board with Israel, but how they approach their own security is their business.

R: There has been divided opinion on these actions, where does the Administration sit?

SP: Well, you probably won't be too surprised to learn while it's not a divided response it's not a definitive one. Israel has a right to self-defense and if there is evidence that Syria was indeed moving munitions and the like to Hezbollah, not known for their restraint when it comes to Israel, I understand the position that they've arrived at.

I will also make it clear that my statement in Rabat from Saturday stands, I believe this is a truly delicate situation, we have reports and confirmed reports of chemical agents, we must make sure that anything done is done based on the best-evidence possible as well as done to minimise civilian casualties.

R: Mr Secretary, so you support the Israeli action?

SP: The position of the administration is supporting Israel's right to self-defense, provided it is based on best evidence.

R: On to a domestic issue, there are calls to remove the current Supreme Court or to at least undergo some reforms, what's your view?

SP: I suppose, as the president to last make an appointment to the Court, I have a bit of skin in the game. I believe the Court is as active as the citizenry is to make use of it. There have been some issues with how prompt and engaged they are, sure. But I'm concerned, as someone who believes that the Court should be as apolitical as humanly possible, of a clean-sweep and re-stock in a single term. That's not a disparagement of the president at all,  in fact, even when I was president, I would not wanted to have done it, but I think we should be looking at reforms rather a complete wipe-out. And now I'll put my Secretary's hat back on.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »

RRESS RELEASE

Secretary Polnut to visit Russia, Poland and Czech Republic

Secretary Polnut will be making a four-day visit starting on Friday 10 May 2013. These are countries the Secretary has targeted as vitally important to boost and maintain diplomatic relations.

Schedule

Friday 10 May
St Petersburg, Russia

Saturday 11 May
Moscow, Russia

Sunday 12 May
Prague, Czech Republic

Monday 13 May
Warsaw, Poland

The Secretary will meet with foreign ministers of all three countries as well as Russian President Vladimir Putin and Polish President Bronisław Komorowski.

He looks forward to these meetings building on already strong relationships and enabling greater international cooperation on the issues of the day.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »

TRANSCRIPT

Secretary Polnut's Address to the Council on Foreign Relations
Sheraton Hotel, Chicago

Ladies and gentlemen,

Thank you all very much for inviting me here tonight. This organisation has been at the very heart of the foreign policy discussions in this nation for decades. It has enlightened people and presented us with truly brilliant experts, the kinds of people I rely on every single day.

I last spoke to you when I was president, back then I had issues like social security and insurance reform and getting the Budget back into working order, so it's good that I've chosen a quieter job that requires me to only talk about Iran, North Korea, Syria and the Eurozone.

But the reality is, we face many challenges across the globe. Despite what people think, I am not of the view that our world is any more, nor any less safe that it has been in the past. But our world is now so much closer to home than ever. Imagine, if we were living in 1903, the Boer War in South Africa had just ended, Russia and Japan were less than two years away from war and three of the biggest Empires on Earth, the British, the German and the Russians were entering a massive arms race, that would end in the random assassination of an Austro-Hungarian Archduke in Sarajevo in June 1914. So that brings me to my first point, cooler heads need to prevail. By cooler heads, I do not mean to look the other way, or ignore something. It is about doing as much as possible to step back and look as objectively as possible on a situation.

World War I was a series of escalation and incitements, the Great Depression had little to do with the actual stock market crashing more in the uncontrolled panic that flowed from it. How you react to a situation determines, more often than not, the outcome. When we had North Korea beating its chest and making threats to its neighbours and us, many in this country, and in our Senate wanted to authorise the President to use force, even when that authorisation was not sought. When dealing with, as  I called North Korea, a body-builder with no idea how to use his muscles, you need to be smarter. I believe the international response, to be alert but not to panic and create un-reversible situations was exactly the right thing to do.

Syria is a different situation. It is a civil war, and a civil war in an area which is not known for stability, nor lack of passionate intensity. I have recently come from a tour of Eastern Europe and Russia where I stressed the need for an international consensus on how we, the International community, react. We have confirmation of the release of chemical agents, including the detection of an agent in Turkey. The problem is, we have among the best possible intelligence gathering capacity, and we have very solid evidence that the Assad regime has used chemical weapons. However, this is not one-hundred per-cent. We are also investigating allegations of the use of these agents by the rebel forces, although the evidence for those allegations is weak.

What I urge people to consider, are the exact same things I asked of my friends and colleagues in Russia, the Czech Republic and Poland. Consider the innocent people of Syria, they have been dealing with this issue for two years. The fighting has developed into an intolerable stale-mate. I am not here to urge war, or to take the side of the rebels or the regime. What I am here to do, is for us to take the side of the Syrian people. We cannot do that in the United Nations, until all permanent powers acknowledge this is a major humanitarian crisis. I have visited refugee camps in Jordan and the Senate authorised the deployment of much needed resources.

I know I am probably disappointing you by not making a declarative statement on what our policy is, if you see it only through the prism of warfare, then you're right. We have gone down paths like this before, and it has not ended well. But, equally, we need to make sure that we are not allowing our experiences to mask what could be a real problem staring us in the face. However, as I said, our concern should be for Syrian civilians. We will not and have not taken any option off the table, but we will continue to work with our friends and allies around the world to make sure the Assad regime and the rebels know they're on watch.

But believe it or not, I am actually positive about the future. But we need to look beyond ourselves. Our world, is not the whole world, despite how much we might know about it. We have a common humanity to think about and that while we don't always agree, we have those fundamental needs, for shelter, for food, for companionship and love. These are real, these, are the things that drive us innately. The future is bright as long as we are willing to be the ones to stand up and make sure of it.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 05:34:23 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2013, 05:38:04 AM by Secretary Polnut »

TRANSCRIPT

Secretary Polnut's statement
19 May 2013

Thank you, I'll be brief.

On Wednesday evening, I was informed by our embassy in Moscow that an Atlasian diplomat was arrested on suspicion of spying. I am obviously not going to discuss matters relating to intelligence. However, we are very concerned about the nature of the arrest and the way it was handled by the Russian authorities.

I have instructed our Ambassador in Moscow to pass on these concerns through a formal protest.

We will also insist on having full access to the man in question and the background information related to this arrest.

Thank you
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Secretary Polnut to announce major overhaul of military justice

Secretary Polnut will release a draft Bill for consideration and introduction to deal with serious crimes that occur in military facilities on Atlasian soil.

The Secretary has been deeply disturbed by the reports of serious crimes being committed by one service member on another. While he understands the desire for cohesion within a fighting unit,"our military cannot permit a culture of intimidation and fear, nor have crimes not punished, for the sake of that cohesion"

This Bill is designed to strengthen the trust and stability of our military forces, while at the same time, removing those who are threats to those core values.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »

When that bill is introduced, do you desire that for the FP slot?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 06:57:36 PM »

Yes, thanks Senator.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »

LEGISLATIVE REQUEST

Protecting our servicemen and women Bill 2013

1. In order to address the horrendous occurrence of crimes against the person within military ranks, it is necessary to reform the way these crimes are managed when it comes to reporting, prosecution and punishment.

2. From 1 September 2013, new cases of serious crimes against the person, that occur on Atlasian soil or military bases leased by the Atlasian Government will be managed outside the Uniform Code of Military Justice, under civilian legal frameworks.

2a. Depending on the severity of crime, a civilian court may place a person found guilty of these crimes into military custody, provided they are kept in a separate facility from their victim and are kept from active duty for a period determined by the civilian court.

3. Serious crimes against the person include:
•   murder;
•   attempted murder;
•   grievous bodily harm;
•   sexual assault; and
•   attempted sexual assault.

4. A new Serious Crimes unit will be created, made up of 50% civilian and 50% military personnel. Their remit will be to investigate allegations, make determinations on charges under these provisions and provide additional services as required. $40 million will be provided for the establishment of this Unit within the Department of External Affairs.

5. Additional training will take place from basic level as to appropriate conduct and also further training will be mandatory for all pastoral care and welfare officers within the military.

6. This Bill will amend the Uniform Code of Military Justice to include specific punishments for those in positions of authority and service personnel welfare who do not report or follow up allegations of serious crimes against the person.

7. This Bill notes the importance of unit cohesion within the military, and a large part of that is trust. This Bill ensures that people who serve with one another should expect that their military (both as their military and their employer) will place their welfare first and encourage an environment where honesty and trust in one another is fostered and not feigned.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »

RRESS RELEASE

Passage of the Rome Statute, the use of force resolution and visit to South-East Asia

Secretary Polnut welcomes the Senate's passage of the Rome Statute though the Senate. "This is an important step to show Atlasia is serious about held to the same standard as most of our friends and allies around the world."

However, he is alarmed the by the presence of a Bill authorising force against North Korea. "The Administration's position on North Korea has been made clear, we have been working for an international consensus on showing that we will not accept their belligerent behaviour, while at the same time showing a cool-head and not in any way overreacting. This step would be both an overreaction and risk re-inflaming this situation".

The Secretary will be leaving for 5-day tour of South East Asia, Australia and New Zealand on Monday. He will visit Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand to discuss greater diplomatic and military ties across the region.

Tour schedule (local times and dates)

Tuesday 28 May - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Wednesday 29 May - Jakarta, Indonesia
Thursday 30 May - Lombok, Indonesia - ASEAN Foreign Minister's summit
Friday 31 May - Canberra, Australia
Saturday 1 June - Wellington, New Zealand
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Atlasia signs defense agreement with Australia and New Zealand

Secretary Polnut returned to Nyman on Monday after a visit to South-East Asia and the Pacific last week. The Secretary signed a number of agreements on behalf of Atlasia.

* Increasing military cooperation with Malaysia and Indonesia
- Including regular military exercises

* A new defense pact between Australia, New Zealand and Atlasia (ANZA)
- Military exercises every year
- Annual meeting of foreign and defense officials
- Free access of naval vessels to each other's ports
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Secretary Polnut to visit Montreal

Secretary Polnut will be visiting Montreal, Canada on Thursday as part of continuing talks towards great economic union between Atlasia and Canada.

Media reports that the talks were 'dead' are clearly far from true. While this is a difficult set of issues, the Administration is very much committed to having an agreement before the Senate and passed before the election.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Progress on Atlasia-Canada common market

Secretary Polnut left Montreal late Friday evening after two days of talks with Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird.

The talks have finalised a number of the more complex and contentious issues that prevented legislation being presented to either the Atlasian Senate or the Canadian Parliament.

The Secretary said before departing Montreal that it was his 'wish that we have a Bill before the Senate and the Parliament as soon as possible and have it passed by the end of the month'.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Attacks on Kabul embassies

Secretary Polnut was informed earlier this morning that our embassy in Kabul and that of the United Kingdom was attacked by suspected suicide bombers. We believe there are a number of fatalities as well as many being treated in hospitals.

We condemn these vile attacks and will be working with Afghani officials to bring those behind these attacks to justice.

In response to credible threats, we have issued a directive to close embassies and consulates in Iraq, Yemen and Pakistan until 13 June 2013 and additional resources to secure embassies in the region will be made available. The embassy in Kabul will be closed until early next week.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »

Over to the NSC, please Smiley
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 01:09:52 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

The situation in Istanbul

Secretary Polnut has issued an order for the Atlasian consulate in Istanbul to be closed until the security situation in the city has stabilised. All diplomatic works and processing will take place out of the embassy in Ankara, which remains open.

As it is an internal political matter, the Secretary and the department will not be making specific comments on the situation, beyond issues relating to the well being of Atlasian citizens and employees of the diplomatic mission.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Secretary Polnut visiting Dubai and London

Secretary Polnut arrived in Duabi, United Arab Emirates on Friday morning for a previously unannounced meeting with the foreign Ministers of Egypt, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Morocco to discuss the situation in Syria.

The Secretary will then meet with the President of the UAE, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan and His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan before leaving Dubai Friday night and arriving in London early on Saturday morning for a meeting with Prime Minister Cameron and Foreign Secretary William Hague.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Secretary Polnut on leave of absence

Secretary Polnut will be on leave from 20 June to 1 July 2013. Any matters in relation to his responsibilities should be be directed to the President.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 07:42:42 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Secretary Polnut welcomes Iranian election result

Secretary Polnut has sent his congratulations on behalf of the Atlasian people and President Marokai to the new President-elect Hassan Rowhani of Iran.

"This election is a tremendous opportunity for our countries to work towards a better future for the people of both nations. Atlasia will always welcome discussions with people of good will. I hope the new President will be open to such a scenario"
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 01:36:47 AM »

Secretary, something must be done about Robert Kraft at once. If he is not dealt with properly, we risk an international crisis with the Soviets.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 01:58:53 AM »

If something has to be done, I'm not sure it's the appropriate place to plan it and, anyways, Russia is smart. They are quite aware than he isn't related to government and that this is only the opinion of a private citizen, for the moment. I don't think Atlasian government should be involved in that.

Perhaps you want an holiday to allow him to cry he lost of that object, too?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »

TRANSCRIPT

Secretary Polnut's Press Conference
2 June 2013

R: Mr Secretary, what is your response to the release over the weekend of a video with you seemingly attacking an anti-gay Russian law? Is that not irresponsible of you considering recent issues with the Russian government?

SP: Um, the long and short of my response, is that while my words were impolitic, they were being expressed privately and among friends. So I regret their capture and release, I do not regret my words. I believe personally, that the Bill is appalling but as it is an internal matter for the Russian government, that remains a personal view and is not reflective of the Administration.

R: Have you received any response from the Russian...

SP: The answer is no.

R: You are only a few days away from leaving the position of Secretary, were you tempted to stay on?

SP: I think this is a job that you can only take on for a short time. I admire former Secretary, now Senator Ben for his tenure in this role. I expressed prior to the election with the President-elect, that I would not want to do this more than one term.

R: So what will you do?

SP: I've had a bit of a change of heart looking at the current situation and the stagnation going on around here. As a former President, in particular, I feel a strong sense of responsibility to the country.

R: So that means?

SP: It means that I don't intend to just walk away, but I'm in the process of determining how best to be of use. I have this experience and knowledge and I think it needs to be put to use. I think the new Administration needs support to get things done.

Alright guys, I need to go I'm heading up to Boston tonight and I will see some of you tomorrow morning.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:19 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Atlasian missions in Egypt

The Secretary has ordered the immediate closure of all Atlasian diplomatic missions in Egypt until further notice.

The security situation is far too tenuous to risk the security of personnel or those with planned consular dealings at the Embassy or Consulate.

All people with urgent requirements should contact the Embassy or Consulate by phone to get further instructions.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies