Resistance to Gay Marriage Shrinking, and Confined to Old White People
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:00:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resistance to Gay Marriage Shrinking, and Confined to Old White People
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Resistance to Gay Marriage Shrinking, and Confined to Old White People  (Read 4809 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
« edited: March 07, 2013, 04:16:04 PM by Link »

1. That's Chris Crocker, of "Leave Britney Alone!!!" fame. It's public knowledge that he's gay.

Is it really a bad thing that I didn't know that?!

no.

I have my views.  I clearly stated that I have no desire to impose them on other people.  Also a heterosexual couple without children is very easy to explain to a five year old.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

Transexuality is more difficult to accept as it challenges social norms on more than just sex.  Acceptance for them will always be a few steps behind gays as a whole.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2013, 04:05:40 PM by AntiPope Flutterbitch I »

Right, but why did mainstream racism disappear so much slower than mainstream homophobia is? I guess you could say racism is more ingrained in American culture (plus I think racism/xenophobia is at least at some level a natural human response), but Christian morality is also very deeply ingrained.

edit: ingrain, not engrain

It's easy to see race. It's not easy to see sexual orintation. (See: Straight Gay, Camp Straight)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »

I have my views.  I clearly stated that I have no desire to impose them on other people.  Also a heterosexual couple without children is very easy to explain to a five year old.

So is a gay couple, actually, if you've ever bothered to try.
Link
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »

I have my views.  I clearly stated that I have no desire to impose them on other people.  Also a heterosexual couple without children is very easy to explain to a five year old.

I have no children.  Why would I speak to someone else's five year old about sexuality?  Is this an activity you engage in often?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »

I have no children.  Why would I speak to someone else's five year old about sexuality?  Is this an activity you engage in often?
I wouldn't explain hetero sexuality to a five year old either.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »

It's interesting that views of gay marriage seem to be progressing much, much faster than views on interracial marriage, which was still opposed by about half the country into the early 1990s. I wonder why that is.

Us gays have a better PR team.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »

1. That's Chris Crocker, of "Leave Britney Alone!!!" fame. It's public knowledge that he's gay.

Is it really a bad thing that I didn't know that?!

Actually your forum approval rating just tripled solely because you didn't know that.  Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »

A young cousin asked around about who an unfamiliar guest at a family affair was. I told him she was another (female) cousin's girlfriend, which she was. That was the end of the conversation. Nobody brought sexuality into it at all.
Link
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »

I wouldn't explain hetero sexuality to a five year old either.

Neither would I.  At least we agree on that.

I think it is more about a lot of people just realizing it's not worth fighting over.  After all the scandals with allegedly heterosexual priests, tele evangelists, and politicians I think there is a large segment of the society that has wised up and is simply not willing to go to war at the polls just because a hypocritical politician or preacher told them to.  When Rick Perry presides over an epidemic of teen pregnancy in Texas, it really is hard to believe him when he says the problem is the gays.
Link
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

A young cousin asked around about who an unfamiliar guest at a family affair was. I told him she was another (female) cousin's girlfriend, which she was. That was the end of the conversation. Nobody brought sexuality into it at all.

In this debate I don't think it is proper to trivialize the love that homosexuals have for one another.  At the same time I don't think it is correct to trivialize the very real concerns some heterosexuals have.  None of this is worth going to war over, but that doesn't mean there are not valid concerns on both sides.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 06:30:12 PM »

I'm sick of the false choice that forces someone to choose between being christian or supportive of gay rights. You can totally be both and many denominations have proven that.

The lingering Christian fundie guilt will be the biggest obstacle to universal support of gay marriage.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 11:39:36 PM »

It's interesting that views of gay marriage seem to be progressing much, much faster than views on interracial marriage, which was still opposed by about half the country into the early 1990s. I wonder why that is.

I think the internet is a big factor as it allowed LGBT people and potential allies to connect, organize and fundraise in a way which simply wasn't possible before.  For LGBT folks who are physically and/or geographically isolated, this is a big deal.  Even a kid in conservative small town hell can see the wider world out there with queer friendly people through his or her computer screen.  And an adult who may be closeted in their public life can easily and quietly donate to gay causes via the internet.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »

This is a valid point. The blacks didn't do themselves any favors with the many race riots im the 1960s. People generally don't approve of this:

Aretha Franklin did a song about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsL9UL9qbv8
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

This is a valid point. The blacks didn't do themselves any favors with the many race riots im the 1960s. People generally don't approve of this:

Aretha Franklin did a song about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsL9UL9qbv8

To be fair, the gays have this: http://www.theonion.com/articles/gaypride-parade-sets-mainstream-acceptance-of-gays,351/
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies