Domino's Pizza gets a pass for now......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:43:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Domino's Pizza gets a pass for now......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Domino's Pizza gets a pass for now......  (Read 2361 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »

Rules that their health care coverage need not include contraceptives.....for now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »

Opposing the contraception mandate is the same thing as wanting more abortions. Which is fine, I guess, but people against the mandate need to admit they love abortion and want more of it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gW2D_Votd2Y
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »

Opposing the contraception mandate is the same thing as wanting more abortions. Which is fine, I guess, but people against the mandate need to admit they love abortion and want more of it.

From the article "He offers health insurance that excludes contraception and abortion for employees."
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »

^^^^^ This. I am pro life, which is exactly why I support the use of contraceptives.
Benj

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »

This is just a preliminary injunction. It happens pretty much any time anyone challenges any law and says nothing about the merits (other than that this won't just get laughed out of court, which is not really surprising). Not news.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:04:27 AM »

This is just a preliminary injunction. It happens pretty much any time anyone challenges any law and says nothing about the merits (other than that this won't just get laughed out of court, which is not really surprising). Not news.

Sure it's news.  And the title and first post say "for now".....for a reason.  I'm betting Monaghan considers it a temporary win.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »

^^^^^ This. I am pro life, which is exactly why I support the use of contraceptives.

I'm not "pro-life" in the political sense, but I have no idea why anyone would oppose fewer abortions being performed. I don't think many people think abortion is a good thing.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »

I'm not "pro-life" in the political sense, but I have no idea why anyone would oppose fewer abortions being performed. I don't think many people think abortion is a good thing.

Yeah.  Our society simply isn't willing to completely abstain from intercourse before marriage at this time.  As long as there are unwanted pregnancies, there will be abortions.  Contraception coverage certainly seems preferable to the 1 million abortions/year that occur now.  If we could pare down the number of abortions at all with the mandate, then it's a good idea. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »

I don't know why health insurance companies don't require contraception coverage without the mandate anyway.  You can buy thousands of condoms or hundreds of pills for the price of one childbirth, not even counting prenatal visits.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »

I don't know why health insurance companies don't require contraception coverage without the mandate anyway.  You can buy thousands of condoms or hundreds of pills for the price of one childbirth, not even counting prenatal visits.

Presumably because they figure a significant portion of the contraceptionless wouldn't use it properly/at all, regardless of price.

How much does it cost per month to go on the pill anyway?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

There are a million kind of birth control pills. Cost depends on which one your doctors picks for you.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »

There are a million kind of birth control pills. Cost depends on which one your doctors picks for you.

Ok, so what about a rough guess?

On the men's side of things, WalGreens website says a box of 36 Trojans will go for about $21. At that price, you could do it once a day and come in at under $20/mo. Seems silly for the gov't to subsidize it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »

On the men's side of things, WalGreens website says a box of 36 Trojans will go for about $21. At that price, you could do it once a day and come in at under $20/mo. Seems silly for the gov't to subsidize it.
Kids cost the gov't a heckuva lot more. Better to nip that one in the bud. And people in relationships frequently refuse to use condoms. Defeats the entire purpose of being monogamous. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »

Tom Monaghan, the founder of Domino's is Catholic, so I can see why they would oppose that.  Why not offer optional contraceptive coverage for those who don't object to it?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 07:41:23 PM »

My wife takes a birth control pill.. for polycystic ovarian syndrome. It helps regulate her hormones. This isn't uncommon. But on the other hand she must be a total skank who hates babies. I should inform her.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:31:46 PM »

Kids cost the gov't a heckuva lot more. Better to nip that one in the bud. And people in relationships frequently refuse to use condoms. Defeats the entire purpose of being monogamous. 

Right, but if the cost of a rubber is literally less than $1. Cost probably isn't the issue here.

My wife takes a birth control pill.. for polycystic ovarian syndrome. It helps regulate her hormones. This isn't uncommon. But on the other hand she must be a total skank who hates babies. I should inform her.

Totally irrelevant to the question at hand.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »

Frankly, who wants to use a condom if they don't need to?

Also, it's a huge financial benefit to the government to avoid unplanned pregnancies. 
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:19 PM »

Right, but if the cost of a rubber is literally less than $1. Cost probably isn't the issue here.

Totally irrelevant to the question at hand.

Totally irrelevant? No, that would be me replying to this thread to tell everyone about the time i spent three hours attempting to eat ten saltines in under a minute with no water. You're very welcome.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/mar/06/context-sandra-fluke-contraceptives-and-womens-hea/

That's the transcript of Sandra fluke's testimony, remember her? Starting at the eleventh paragraphyou can read about denying contraceptives for women who aren't taking  them to avoid having children. Do many policies have exceptions for this? Yes, but they don't always work well, and why should a woman have a panel judging whether her condition meets the standards for exemption?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 11:52:50 PM »

Guys, the no copay contraceptives only apply to certain brands. So if there is a generic out for that brand, insurance plans can refuse to cover it. Also, they can force women to switch to another brand (with whom they probably have an understanding). It is quite possible that the mandate could reduce costs for the healthcare system as a whole.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/08/02/free_contraception_depends_on_the_birth_control_brand_.html
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »

People have hearts and dreams and needs, and the purpose of being monogamous has a great deal to do with that.  If we are just defining preventive medicine as saving money in the healthcare system, as we seem to be, then I see that's as a serious problem.  Not having a person exist is going to save money, so contraception is paid for completely. Is childbirth?  I'm guessing not.  Just as, if there's someone who requires medicine and therapy for being suicidal, it's not cost effective to cover it because someone who offs himself isn't as much of a financial burden.  Preventive medicine that actually treats patients as people can save money in some cases, but in many it doesn't - but cost-savings, as important as it is, shouldn't be the primary goal of prevention.

btw, this isn't about Dominoes Pizza, it's another, smaller company founded by the same guy.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »

Tom Monaghan, the founder of Domino's is Catholic, so I can see why they would oppose that.  Why not offer optional contraceptive coverage for those who don't object to it?

Why should your insurance benefits depend on the religious beliefs (or in the case of these lawsuits, the "religious" attention whoring) or your boss?  If your boss is a Jehovah's Witness, do you want to be forced to have a policy that doesn't include transfusions?  If your boss is a Christian Scientist, do you want to be forced to have a policy that doesn't include medical treatment at all?

More specifically, why can't people realize that you can't match up a dollar paid out in an insurance claim to a dollar that paid into it?  If anything, every person who buys health insurance is paying a fraction of everyone's claims, meaning everyone pays for everyone's birth control.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »

Yeah.  Our society simply isn't willing to completely abstain from intercourse before marriage at this time.  As long as there are unwanted pregnancies, there will be abortions.  Contraception coverage certainly seems preferable to the 1 million abortions/year that occur now.  If we could pare down the number of abortions at all with the mandate, then it's a good idea. 

Society has never been able or willing to abstain completely from intercourse before marriage. Legalized abortion is the reason we don't have orphanages anymore (that and lower likelihood of a parent dying in war or childbirth and leaving their kids parentless). In more "moral" times, sex didn't come after marriage; marriage came after sex resulted in a pregnancy.

Conservatives' yearning for abstinence is as fanciful as the Old Left's yearning for people to work just as hard in a regime where profit and ownership do not exist. Both ideas require a kind of human and a kind of human temperament that don't exist in reality.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies