Maryland votes to abolish Death Penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maryland votes to abolish Death Penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Maryland votes to abolish Death Penalty  (Read 1795 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »

As to the OP, fantastic, and I too am surprised at Brownback's position - I don't see why something like that would be just lip service if he didn't mean it (because the far right normally uses the "kill killers, not babies" line), but of course doing something about it is something else. Hopefully some momentum picks up on this as with gay marriage and marijuana legalization. The death penalty should be abolished at the federal level.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »

That is every 4th Democrat, which can be of course considered as "lots of fake Democrats".

Except the part where supporting the death penalty makes you "fake Democrat".  As a Democrat who supports the death penalty I resent that.

You're also a "Democrat" who thinks Jimmy Carter is a terrorist supporter and that George W. Bush legitimately and fairly won Florida in the 2000 election.

An evangelical Christian is really lecturing others about the qualities that make one a "Democrat"... Roll Eyes

Okay...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2013, 10:11:18 AM by CountryFree »

That is every 4th Democrat, which can be of course considered as "lots of fake Democrats".

Except the part where supporting the death penalty makes you "fake Democrat".  As a Democrat who supports the death penalty I resent that.

Given that the opposing the death penalty is seen more as a liberal position, and not necessarily a "Democratic" issue, I would agree.  The Democratic Party has been, and will continue to be, a very big tent party.  Ascribing the party whole hog as "liberal" and thus enslaved to liberal ideology is fallacious.

And really, I find some red avatars' views really inconsistent.  Some of you might badmouth some fellow Democrats for supporting the death penalty but then in the same breath justify killing people with drone strikes (execution by robot).  To Benconstine's credit, and though I disagree with his views, at least he's consistent in supporting both.

So yes, it is very good that the Death Penalty has been done away with.  However, a lot of people need to get off the moral high horse of calling somebody a "fake (insert word here)" just for disagreeing on certain issues.  That is what we have libertarians here for.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »

Except the part where supporting the death penalty makes you "fake Democrat".  As a Democrat who supports the death penalty I resent that.

This ^.  The death penalty is far from a party-line position.  I was back-and-forth on this one for a while.  Go review my posting history when I was pro-death penalty and tell me I was a "fake Democrat".
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »

You're also a "Democrat" who thinks Jimmy Carter is a terrorist supporter and that George W. Bush legitimately and fairly won Florida in the 2000 election.

An evangelical Christian is really lecturing others about the qualities that make one a "Democrat"... Roll Eyes

Okay...

What is un-Democratic about being an evangelical? Where does the party's platform and values run against raising hands in church, memorialism in communion or belief in baptizing adults instead of babies?

Oh do you mean because evangelicals are often against abortion and gay marriage? Well I'm not, so that's a moot point.

Are Jimmy Carter and Ashley Judd fake Democrats by the way?
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »

Okay...

What is un-Democratic about being an evangelical? Where does the party's platform and values run against raising hands in church, memorialism in communion or belief in baptizing adults instead of babies?

Oh do you mean because evangelicals are often against abortion and gay marriage? Well I'm not, so that's a moot point.

Are Jimmy Carter and Ashley Judd fake Democrats by the way?

As an evangelical, being a Democrat puts you in the minority and part of the "big-tent" party. I have just as much of a right to call you a fake democrat as you have of calling people who support the death penalty fake democrats.

I personally oppose the death penalty, but I resent your ideological witch hunts that only have the effect of shrinking the party.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »

'Democrat' and 'Republican' are extremely vague terms, which are frequently cultural indicators more than ideological ones. There's no such thing as a 'DINO' or 'RINO'; the only thing that makes you a Democrat or a Republican is your own word that you are one.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »

The ban passed the House 82-56
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States