Louisiana schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:33:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louisiana schools
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Louisiana schools  (Read 1287 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »

Wait, set theory is now a godless atheist conspiracy?

Next: someone is going to establish that the atomic theory of matter is inconsistent with fundamentalist Christianity and, ipso facto, false! 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »

Next: someone is going to establish that the atomic theory of matter is inconsistent with fundamentalist Christianity and, ipso facto, false! 

You joke closer than you likely knew.  A good bit of classical Christian theology was developed under the assumption that rather than atomic theory, the physical world was best explained by Aristotle's theories now known under the name hylomorphism.  However while Aristotle rejected atomic theory, atomism and hylomorphism are not completely opposed word views as evolution and creationism are.

I'll use a sports analogy to crudely illustrate the difference between the two theories.  Under atomism, the 1923 New York Yankees and the 2009 New York Yankees are two completely different teams.  None of their atoms: the players, the management, the ownership, or the stadium are the same.  Whereas under hylomorphism the individual components are meaningless, and there are not two teams, but one team, the New York Yankees, viewed from different perspectives.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 02:26:32 AM »

I think it's time to restart Reconstruction.
It was always time to do that, the process wasn't completed.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »

Yes, the "union" symbol is clearly a liberal plot to indoctrinate students!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »

Louisiana is often described as being unique in the South, due to the large Franco-Catholic population.  Still, it does not seem much more progressive than Mississippi or Alabama.

Problem is, people like to think of states as being monolithic entities. Louisiana has places that are fairly forward-thinking, like New Orleans. Northern Louisiana has traditionally been among the deepest parts of the Deep South, though.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

I agree with you, Emperor PiT.  New Orleans in different.

I'm also aware that Louisiana is divided between a Protestant North and Catholic South.  However, it's not just the North that is quite socially conservative; Cajun Country and the NOLA suburbs are, too.  Rick Santorum carried every parish except Orleans in the Louisiana Republican primary.

Also, I get annoyed too when people assume that everywhere within a state's borders is all the same.  Some people think that all of Oregon is rainy, as if political boundaries have anything to do with climate.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »

I'm not really sure what the context of this gif is in this situation.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »

It always baffles me that people can wipe their hands of children being brainwashed just because the state is not directly running the school. If you give someone the power to teach a child you can't let them lie (because that's what this is) to them. Even if it receives no tax breaks or subsidies from the government it's just morally wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies