name an area and describe the most prevalent ideology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:38:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  name an area and describe the most prevalent ideology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: name an area and describe the most prevalent ideology  (Read 8344 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
« edited: April 29, 2013, 10:47:02 PM by Slowpoke »

Here's how I see the regions of the Twin Cities metro. Write-up of each region coming up later:

Alright here goes. For the record for simplicity's sake, all the non-Twin Cities regions consist of only whole cities, though some kind of straddle regions. This is also because I'm not familiar with all the suburbs to know where each precinct goes, and some precincts straddle regions too.

Blue: This is the ultra-liberal heart of the cities. It's the artsy/hipster place, full of indie movie theaters, art galleries, organic food stores, the record stores that still exist, coffee shops, lots of clubs and odder and less mainstream things like New Age-y religious sects, an occultic accessories store, and even an anarchist bookstore for awhile (closed last year.) Great place to be car-free and just bike everywhere if you don't have to leave the city (alas I do.) 78% White VAP (higher in actual voters due to the minorities often not being eligible) and over 85% Obama. Similar vote against the marriage amendment.

Green: These are the more standard middle class to upper middle class urban liberal areas. Not really hipsters, hippies and New Agers (though don't get me wrong, they're still there.) I also included the University of Minnesota. What really separates this from the blue is that some Republicans actually do exist in a non-neglible number, overall this was around 71% for Obama. Downtown Minneapolis has more Republicans than you'd expect, though they obviously aren't typical ones, in one downtown precinct Romney got over 30% and the marriage amendment barely broke 10%. Downtown St. Paul is different as the most DFL white part of the city, since the people living there are mostly state employees (while in Minneapolis it probably includes a lot of bankers, lawyers and executives.)

Purple: These are the minorities areas. A wide variety, northwest Minneapolis is black, that area near the center is mixed black and Hispanic (with even a Native enclave thrown in) and that area in St. Paul is a hodgepodge of blacks, Hispanics and Asians. Voting patterns are obvious. The strongest part of the inner Cities for the marriage amendment, though still failing.

Red: I thought of these as the "ethnic" neighborhoods, but that's kind of not all that accurate today. They're largely gentrified and were never all that "ethnic" in many cases. Northeast Minneapolis is nicknamed "Nordeast" because of all the very Scandinavian names you used to find there. There's still a lot of Eastern European communities, there used to be a joke the bridge on Broadway street was the longest bridge in the world, extending from Africa to Poland, though only olds still say that since the Polish area has been diluted and doesn't really exist anymore. However they are notable in that they consist of more working class people who have likely lived there a long time, and the area in Southwest St. Paul is still pretty Irish (often in that obnoxious way I can't stand.) Plus this is where you will find basically all the Eastern Orthodox churches in the Twin Cities. More R than the rest of the Cities, but still overwhelmingly D, and not all that strong for the marriage amendment either, but please remember these areas still have lots of youngs attracted by cheap housing. I should probably note that while you could go car free in these areas, it's a bit tricky unless you also work in the region, as they are isolated from the main public transit routes.

Yellow: The inner ring suburbs. In these areas they tend to be fairly working class, some affluent areas like St. Louis Park (also heavily Jewish with both there and Southwest Minneapolis), generally pretty strong D. Over 60% for Obama and even higher against the marriage amendment. Republicans aren't a novelty here, but they still can't win elections, even in 2010.

Teal: This is what I thought of as the "rich belt". Of course if I was willing to split municipalities I'd clip off some parts of Edina to the Yellow one and include West Bloomington (Bloomington is very split East/West, might as well be two separate cities.) The area voted narrowly for Obama but has an R voting average and is mostly R on the lower levels, though it looks like the ship has finally sailed in Edina, which now has an all DFL delegation in the legislature (including the best looking member of the State Senate.) Even Eden Prairie is showing cracks, having voted for Obama narrowly both times and having a DFL Representative in the northern part (even if that required the Minnetonka precincts.) Marriage amendment got clobbered (not even 40%).

Gray: These are the more standard middle class suburbs. And of course the big swing region of the state. Most of these voted Obama both times, but pretty big in 2008, and only narrowly in 2012, voted DFL legislators in 2006 and 2008, then voted in Republicans in 2010, only to oust a lot of them in 2012. Has a generic R voting average. The marriage amendment uniformly failed though. If you want to live without a car here, it's possible, but not all that easy or convenient.

Lighter Purple: Lake Minnetonka area. Similar to the "rich belt" in affluence (even moreso uniformly, since Edina isn't so overwhelmingly rich anymore and even Eden Prairie has some cheap apartments in the north) and kind of thought of as a weekend getaway for many because of the lake. Some areas still have kind of a rural flavor and there are still some farms. The area is quite Republican and gave Romney a double digit win with McCain getting a much narrower one, though the marriage amendment also failed, though not as badly as in the "rich belt".

Cyan: This is basically everything else in Hennepin County. Standard exurban type places, lots of farms and rural roads, but also a big ugly subdivison likely to be found amongst all that as well. Kind of detached from the rest of Hennepin County and not really thinking of itself as part of it or even in the Minneapolis area. Extremely Republican, McCain and Romney both broke 60%, but the marriage amendment only pulled slightly over 50% yes.

Hot Pink: Outer suburbs. Actual suburbs that are developed, but still quite sprawly and full of strip malls, chain stores, McMansions, the works. Pretty uniformly Republican, voted 55% McCain and more for Romney. The marriage amendment didn't do as well though, even places like Lakeville and Prior Lake voted against it, though the more northern side ones gave it higher numbers. Living without a car here just isn't going to work, there probably isn't anything in walking distance of a residential area besides maybe a gas station/convenience store and fast food joint.

Light Green: And the rest of the region. Exurban and still rural areas. Very Republican, but not as much as some of the ones listed before, voted about 57% for McCain in total. Some still DFL pockets exist in the more rural areas. Marriage amendment definitely passed here though and elects an essentially all Republican legislative delegation.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »

Is it bad thing that there is no low-scale area anywhere in the world I could describe so extensively?

That's why we have Hashemite.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 06:24:10 AM »

Sydney Metropolitan Area

It's a f**king big place. With over 4.5 million in the city (although the "city" basically means the same thing that Americans think a metro does, and there's over a million people living in urban areas in the Sydney commuter belt - there's about 4-5 hours of driving down the East Coast where most of the area can be considered urban).

There are thirty-eight local council areas (comparable to what Americans call a county, I guess) in Sydney, and they have a very mixed political ideology, although there is a very noticeable north-south divide in terms of political affiliation. Overall the city would've likely voted Labor in every election in the last 100 years, perhaps even in very bad years like 1966, 1975 and 1977 (when NSW was still the strongest state for Labor in the country).

I'll describe all these 38 the best I can.

Sydney City

Probably the most prominent local council, the council itself has been dominated by a left-leaning independent by the name of Clover Moore. In general, the council is rather varied. The west (Glebe) and south (Redfern, Waterloo, etc.) are very much Labor voting, although this area is gentrifying quite quickly, which leads it to a strong Greens vote and the potential for good results for the Liberals in the future. However the east (Darlinghurst, Paddington, etc.) are quite Liberal voting, albeit of the Malcolm Turnbull type rather than the Tony Abbott. Minority population depends on where you go - out of the people who actually live in the CBD, a lot of them are from Asia, and Redfern is known for its large Aboriginal population, but in general this area, like most of the inner suburbs is rather white.

Woollhara

Very right-wing. Turnbull probably won over 70% of the vote here, though granted he is a far more ideal fit for this district than a more populist conservative type. Uber-rich, you'd be laughing if you found a house under $1 million here, and this council area has an unusually high Jewish population and quite a few South Africans here.

Waverley

Most famous for Bondi Beach (FWIW there's better beaches, but that might be because Bondi has way too many people). In general this area can vote for the right Labor candidate - like most of the Eastern suburbs it isn't particularly projective towards conservatism, but it does vote Liberal as this area is generally cashed up.

Randwick

The home of Randwick Racecourse and the University of NSW (basically the second university in Sydney), this area is gentrifying (like most of the southern part of the city/inner suburbs), but unlike the other bits of the Eastern Suburbs it still is rather Labor-leaning. Don't know that much about this area, despite my cousins living near here.

Botany Bay

Docking/industrial area, and also the council area closest to the airport. Also home to a couple of golf courses. Rather left-wing area, and unlike most of Sydney east of Olympic Park, there still seems to be a lot of working-class areas.

Marrickville

My homeland. The most left-wing area in Sydney - if the Greens nominated a somewhat normal candidate they'd have won the state district in a canter, and it's home to Newtown, the king of the counter-culture and probably the best strip to go out apart from the CBD itself. Marrickville has also gentrified to a reasonable enough extent that there's a fair bit to do there, it has some gun places to eat. Also home to a Portuguese precinct in Petersham, which is my weakness regarding take-away foods.

Leichhardt

Former working-class docking area and home to Sydney's Little Italy (but trust me, I live within walking distance of the so called Little Italy. It's pretty average, and the area just looks really fake and tacky, there are reasons why the only people you see in the Italian Forum are Asian tourists), this area is probably THE most gentrified area in Sydney. Like, median house prices are very high and are only rising. While the area still votes pretty solidly left-wing (heck, the Greens won a state seat here), the left is on a ticking time bomb here, particularly given that the Liberals will likely nominate a moderate here.

Ashfield

Now we start moving from the pretty white areas close to the city to the minority-heavy suburbs. The area used to (surprisingly?) vote quite Liberal back in the day, but these days it's pretty solidly Labor, and has a reasonable Greens vote (IIRC). I never really spent that much time in this part of Sydney, but when I have drove past it the area wasn't all that nice.

Canada Bay

Along with Leichhardt Council this area is gentrifying rather heavily. Perhaps it's being on Sydney Harbour that attracts yuppies that hate the north. Also has a very large Italian population. This area voted really heavily Liberal in the state election, and in general can probably be considered Liberal-leaning at this point.

I'll do the rest sometime over this week....
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »

Austin County -  the residents here actually got quite mad at their congressman Michael McCaul a couple of years ago because a major defense contractor that had a plant there decided to relocate elsewhere and they felt McCaul hadn't used his clout effectively enough to get them to stay
This is false.

The Army switched contracts.   BAE bid 20% below their previous contract, but Oshkosh Industries underbid by 33%.  The GAO originally had found that Oshkosh could not produce the FMTV trucks for that price, but then reversed that decision.

Check OSK share prices for 10-years and see 2009 when the contract kept them from going under, and also the nose dive this year when they reported they were losing money on the contract.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »

Oo this is fun. Perhaps I can describe my home town Vancouver

Right-Liberals Affluent socially moderate, urbanites who form the essence of the British Columbia Liberal Party and the municipal NPA. Found on the North Shore, Yaletown, Point Grey, Kerrisdale, and Dunbar, and the Kits Shoreline. Mildly uncomfortable with the less urbane and illiberal aspects of the Conservative Party, and mildly uncomfortable with some of the more left-leaning economic viewpoints found in the federal Liberal Party, and have no time for the NDP, though they often regard themselves as environmentally minded. They form a key Liberal-Conservative swing vote. Think Paul Martin, or Clintonian suburban Democrats. 

Left-Liberals Mostly Affluent, educated social Liberals and more center-center left types. Found in Kitsilano, Fairview, Yaletown, the West End, UBC, denser parts of Point Grey, Dunbar, and Kerrisdale, Lonsdale and Whistler.  They form the core of the Liberal Party in Western Canada, and react poorly to the anti-urban feel of the Conservatives. They are skeptical of both the British Columbia Liberal Party and the NDP, but can be convinced to vote for either.  In today's incarnation of municipal politics, such voters are a key block for Vision Vancouver, but tended towards the NPA when there is no centrist option available.   Think Latte Liberals.

The Left You know, the actual left.  Counter-cultural, social justice-minded.  Lower income, younger, or particularly frothy latte left types. These voters are found in the Downtown East Side and in the Main-Nanaimo corridor ("Grandview Woodland") and SFU.   Their votes are what kept the NDP afloat with 2 seats in the 2001 BC Election, and form a hard core of the party, though some of their less engaged members may flirt with the federal Liberals. These people despise the British Columbia Liberal Party and their opinions of the Conservative Party are unfit for print.  Municipally, these voters consist of whatever remains of COPE, though a lot of them backed Vision Vancouver in the last election.

Suburban Populists middle-lower-income suburbanites just trying to do a bit better. They are perhaps the most flexible voting group, as they can go mostly NDP, but occasionally Conservative and on rare occasions Liberal.  They are densest East of Nanaimo and in the Kingsway corridor and New Westminster, but are also frequent in Burnaby, Coquitlam, Central Surrey, Newton, Squamish, and the denser parts of Maple Ridge and Mission, bleeding off into the interior-populists as one goes further up river.  These voters are often sympathetic to organized labor and to populist 'punish the wicked' rhetoric, often directed at business, and are a classic BC NDP constituency, although somewhat weakened hold in recent decades. These voters swing heavily towards Reform in the 1990s, but swung back to the NDP after 2004. They tend to perceive the Liberal Party as out of touch with their interests. They supported Vision in the last election, though the NPA has made some in-roads with them in recent years. 

Suburban Conservatives More affluent suburbanites, who commute and demand roads and investment in South-of-Fraser Transit, feel that the region is overly focused on Vancouver, and generally like lower taxes and the suburban feel. These voters are found in Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey, North Burnaby, Tswassen, White Rock, Langley City, and parts of Abbotsford. They are a core constituency for the Conservatives and an important one for the BC Liberals,  as the Conservatives speak to them better. They perceive the Liberals as out of touch with their interests and the NDP as radicals.  They, along with their cousins the interior conservatives, formed a core of the Social Credit voting base.

The Bible Belt BC's bible belt in the Fraser Valley is unusually close to it's major urban area, but this is a legacy of the Fraser Valley as British Columbia's greatest agricultural region. Agriculture tends to breed deep conservatism when it is profitable, and deep radicalism when it is not. Unlike the prairies, the Fraser Valley has never really struggled, with a wide variety of potential crops, fertile land, and a large, isolated urban market, and as such has never had any real outbursts of political radicalism. These areas are the only really socially conservative part of the province. These voters love Jesus and hate abortion.  They despise the urban tendencies of the NDP and Liberals, and somewhat grudgingly accept the Conservative Party and BC Liberal Party as their only true options. They are found in Langley, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, rural parts of Delta, Surrey, and Richmond.

Visible Minorities - the Chinese This is of course not to say that the Chinese are monolithic, but there are definite tendancies. The Chinese tend to be concentrated in South Vancouver and Richmond, with large numbers all over town. As a group, they tend to be socially conservative, but more receptive to the Liberals due to the traditionally Liberal support for immigration and multiculturalism. As the Conservatives have moved away from opposing these policies, the Chinese vote has gone strongly towards them in recent years, though it is quite likely that they may swing back towards the federal Liberals as well. They tend to strongly support the BC Liberals.

Visible Minorities - the South Asians Most notably Sikhs, these voters concentrate in South Vancouver, Surrey, and North Delta.  They tend to be Liberal-NDP voters federally.  and provincially were historically strongly NDP, though the BC Liberals made some impressive gains with the community in the last election. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »

Nassau County

south-east Nassau County.-- (Levittown, Bethpage, Wantagh, Massapeqa)  Mostly white, heavily Italian and Irish.   Mostly Republican, tend to be fiscal conservatives and law and order type of conservatives, socially moderate.  Rudy would be very popular here.  Primarily middle class, with some upper-middle class sections closer to the water.  Some more diverse middle class areas (portions of East Massapequa) that lean D, rest of the area is primarily Republican.  This can be extended westward a bit to south central portions of Nassau, but southern wealthier sections of Merrick and Bellmore tend to be more Jewish, and much more D.

East- Central Nassau- Plainview- Jericho- Syosset-  Primarily upper middle class.  Large Jewish population, growing Asian population.  Tends to be fiscally moderate and socially liberal.  Democratic.

Central Nassau-  Large Minority population, tends to be very heavily D.  Hempstead/ Uniondale/ Freeport, erc.  Primarily working class, some middle class, primarily African American and HispaniNW Nassau-  Great Neck/ Roslyn, etc.  Heavily Jewish and Asian.  Upper middle class to down right uber wealthy and liberal.   Mos of it is heavily D   However, northern sections of Great Neck and Kings Point has a growing Orthodox population and heavily Persian Jewish as well.  Turned sharply Republican after 9/11.

SW Nassau-  Lean D mix of areas.  Some tend to be quite diverse such as middle class Valley Stream which is fairly Democratic.  Some more Republican areas such as Franklin Square.  Also have the heavily Jewish five towns region, which leans D as a whole, but Lawrence is uber-R with a Orthodox population.

Norh East and North Central Nassau-  Part of the Gold Coast, similar to NW Nassau as it tends to be very wealthy, but far less Jewish and Asian.  Not religious, but still heavily Republican.  Garden City which is in western Nassau tends to fit in this category as well, but slightly more religious.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »

Nassau County

south-east Nassau County.-- (Levittown, Bethpage, Wantagh, Massapeqa)  Mostly white, heavily Italian and Irish.   Mostly Republican, tend to be fiscal conservatives and law and order type of conservatives, socially moderate.  Rudy would be very popular here.  Primarily middle class, with some upper-middle class sections closer to the water.  Some more diverse middle class areas (portions of East Massapequa) that lean D, rest of the area is primarily Republican.  This can be extended westward a bit to south central portions of Nassau, but southern wealthier sections of Merrick and Bellmore tend to be more Jewish, and much more D.

East- Central Nassau- Plainview- Jericho- Syosset-  Primarily upper middle class.  Large Jewish population, growing Asian population.  Tends to be fiscally moderate and socially liberal.  Democratic.

Central Nassau-  Large Minority population, tends to be very heavily D.  Hempstead/ Uniondale/ Freeport, erc.  Primarily working class, some middle class, primarily African American and HispaniNW Nassau-  Great Neck/ Roslyn, etc.  Heavily Jewish and Asian.  Upper middle class to down right uber wealthy and liberal.   Mos of it is heavily D   However, northern sections of Great Neck and Kings Point has a growing Orthodox population and heavily Persian Jewish as well.  Turned sharply Republican after 9/11.

SW Nassau-  Lean D mix of areas.  Some tend to be quite diverse such as middle class Valley Stream which is fairly Democratic.  Some more Republican areas such as Franklin Square.  Also have the heavily Jewish five towns region, which leans D as a whole, but Lawrence is uber-R with a Orthodox population.

Norh East and North Central Nassau-  Part of the Gold Coast, similar to NW Nassau as it tends to be very wealthy, but far less Jewish and Asian.  Not religious, but still heavily Republican.  Garden City which is in western Nassau tends to fit in this category as well, but slightly more religious.

one thing I found interesting is that there is a north-south divide in Nassau. The north shore is semi-rural and home to a lot of wealthy people and people with second homes (think Great Gatsby). The south shore has a population density higher than some American cities.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »

Sedgwick County, KS:

Suburbs
Andover and Maize: Wealthy mostly white suburbs, strongly Republican. Maize is a little more conservative and whiter though. Both very religious.
Derby: Conservative suburb South of town, middle class, lots of military families, strongly evangelical and family-oriented
Haysville: Kinda like Derby but with some more working class areas, strongly Republican but elected a Democratic mayor a while back, seems less religious
Goddard and Valley Center: More 'country' suburbs, generally well off, very Republican
Park City: Family oriented, has a few more Democratic working class areas, still mostly Republican but more moderate
Bel Aire: One of the more diverse suburbs, middle class, moderate Republican but more Democratic than the county as a whole

Rural Sedgwick County
Extremely conservative, similar politically, Andale is very Catholic

Wichita Proper
East Wichita: Suburban, lots of professionals, Republican but not overwhelmingly so, moderate in many places, lots of support in 2014 for Paul Davis
Eastborough: Old guard wealthy Republicans, some out of towners, not as much evangelical Republicanism as moneyed conservatism, more moderate on social issues
College Hill and Crown Heights: Upper middle class, lots of people from out of town, generally educated, split between Democrats and Republicans with pockets of stronger Democratic support, socially liberal
Northeast Wichita (around WSU campus and to the south)Sad Heavily black part of town, very Democratic accordingly but not liberal necessarily
Midtown: Hispanic majority, deeply Democratic but not liberal per se
Southeast and South Central Wichita: Lower middle class area, mostly Democratic and plurality white, albeit with diverse (Hispanic and some Asians) and poverty stricken areas like Plainview that are even more Democratic
East Front: To the west of College Hill, small 65% white working class area with a hippie vibe to it, very liberal
Riverside: Gentrifying hipster middle class area, lots of artists, bastion of Bernie support, quite Democratic although some of the older population leans right
West Wichita E. of 235: Middle class, mostly white, pretty split politically, Dems tend to be moderate but Republicans are more evangelical
Wichita W. of 235: See Maize
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 09:14:50 PM »

Sedgwick County, KS:

Suburbs
Andover and Maize: Wealthy mostly white suburbs, strongly Republican. Maize is a little more conservative and whiter though. Both very religious.

Andover is almost entirely in Butler County. Both Andover to the east and Maize to the northwest have strong recent growth (21st Century) as suburban development has reached them, and they annexed land to block Wichita. I wouldn't call them wealthy so much as filled with new homes that are affordable for middle and upper middle incomes, and no apartments or starter homes for lower income persons. If someone moves to Maize or Andover, they sell their older house or rent it out.

Derby: Conservative suburb South of town, middle class, lots of military families, strongly evangelical and family-oriented

Haysville: Kinda like Derby but with some more working class areas, strongly Republican but elected a Democratic mayor a while back, seems less religious

Derby boomed with Boeing. It tended to attract engineers and executives, while Haysville tended to be more line workers. Derby increased from 432 to 6458 between 1950 and 1960. There are areas closer to McConnell AFB which are fairly Democratic compared to surrounding area. These would be enlisted and specialists, more minority, young, and single. Career officers might live in Derby, particularly if they have a family.

Goddard and Valley Center: More 'country' suburbs, generally well off, very Republican

Goddard to the west is just now being reached by suburban growth. Valley Center to the NNE has grown towards the city to capture commercial areas.

Park City: Family oriented, has a few more Democratic working class areas, still mostly Republican but more moderate

Is more on a direct line north from Wichita, and has grown northward, but the core is much further south than Valley Center. Is reasonably accessible to the historic black areas of Wichita, for people moving up in housing, but want to stay in the area.

Bel Aire: One of the more diverse suburbs, middle class, moderate Republican but more Democratic than the county as a whole

Probably close to the overall county, see the three precincts, with the eastern precincts slightly higher, and the western less. Again it is north of the historic black areas of Wichita. There has also been some outgrowth to the east in Wichita. Bel Aire is one of the few purpose-built suburbs. It had a utility district, and then decided to incorporate. Wichita fought it but lost.

The other suburbs developed from small township centers. They weren't necessarily big enough to provide an economic core, but did provide a government structure. A developer could provide enough tax base, for the city to build a larger water supply. Support facilities, like grocery stores, doctors, dentists, might relocated, the schools become large enough to be attractive, but not too large.

Rural Sedgwick County
Extremely conservative, similar politically, Andale is very Catholic

Very little of Sedgwick County is truly rural. There are too many people to be supported by wheat, and they are too close to require agricultural support. This is more exurban, with people who want a non-city lifestyle buying a farmhouse, or a house in the township center, or maybe putting a mobile home on a lot, and over time building a house, or an addition or just renovating. They can drive into a job, 15 miles on a rural highway is only 15 minutes, except in an ice storm. Some may be a part-time farmer, with a few head of cattle, or perhaps a few acres to grow produce, but they depend on the city for income.

Wichita Proper
East Wichita: Suburban, lots of professionals, Republican but not overwhelmingly so, moderate in many places, lots of support in 2014 for Paul Davis

East Wichita has some of the most Republican areas of the city, but not consistently so. I think the Kansas Turnpike has probably disrupted the pattern. It makes it possible to build apartments in odd parcels of land near interchanges. And there might not be overpasses for every section line road. Compare the northern 2/3 (24 sections) of Minneha, to the southern 1/3. This is also the only real spillover into an adjacent county, so very Republican and suburban Andover is not shown.

Higher income growth in Wichita was to the east, away from the river. The river flooded too often to make development attractive near the river. Flooded houses tend to be yucky, and it is too hard to get back to the previous condition. If insured, it is better to build new on a better site.

Eastborough: Old guard wealthy Republicans, some out of towners, not as much evangelical Republicanism as moneyed conservatism, more moderate on social issues

Eastborough was the first suburb, and quite exclusive (776 persons in 2010). Orman did better here than other areas that were as Republican. They probably think of someone who makes lots of money running investment funds in Florida is ordinary, and not as unseemly as someone who runs a business.

College Hill and Crown Heights: Upper middle class, lots of people from out of town, generally educated, split between Democrats and Republicans with pockets of stronger Democratic support, socially liberal
Northeast Wichita (around WSU campus and to the south)Sad Heavily black part of town, very Democratic accordingly but not liberal necessarily
Midtown: Hispanic majority, deeply Democratic but not liberal per se
Southeast and South Central Wichita: Lower middle class area, mostly Democratic and plurality white, albeit with diverse (Hispanic and some Asians) and poverty stricken areas like Plainview that are even more Democratic

The river cuts this area up too much as it slices off to the east.

East Front: To the west of College Hill, small 65% white working class area with a hippie vibe to it, very liberal
Riverside: Gentrifying hipster middle class area, lots of artists, bastion of Bernie support, quite Democratic although some of the older population leans right
West Wichita E. of 235: Middle class, mostly white, pretty split politically, Dems tend to be moderate but Republicans are more evangelical
Wichita W. of 235: See Maize

235 provides good access and it is west of the floodway. Since you had to jump from downtown, development began later. There is a very nice gradient as each section further west becomes more Republican.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »

Lake County, Indiana
This county really is quite a mix, with urban, industrial areas, Chicago suburbs, and rural small towns. 

http://www.lakecountyin.org/cms-host/planning-commission/maps/School%20Districts.pdf
http://www.lakecountyin.org/portal/group/voters/page/general2012

Here's a good reference for the areas.

Descriptions:
Whiting-North end of county, filled with white, blue-collar Democrats, about 70% Democrat.  This is just a small, blue-collar town with a huge refinery.
East Chicago-filled with hard-line Hispanic Democrats.  The precincts are about 90-95% Democrat on average, with none below 75%.
Hammond-60% white town, quite Democratic, with only 2 precincts with below 60% Obama out of about 90, with some precincts giving Obama 100%.  This is probably where you'll find, along with Whiting, where white, blue collar union workers still vote Democrat. 
Gary-This encompasses a huge portion of the Northern part of the county, including the Lake Ridge and River Forest school districts.  Extremely, extremely Democrat, as the town is 87% black. 100% Obama precincts are common and most gave him 95%+. However, there is one oddball precinct that only gave Obama 50% of the vote, G5-04. 
Lake Station-pretty Democratic town on West end of county, about 60-70% overall.  This area's 80% white and is a bastion of blue-collar Democrats.
Hobart-has prominent shopping mall and entertainment there.  Every precinct but 1 voted Democratic but not by that much:  the town's about 58% Democrat or so overall.  The town's 85% white and though somewhat blue collar, only has a 5% poverty rate, compared to about triple that for Lake Station, nearly quadruple for Hammond, and even more for Gary/East Chicago. 
Munster-This is where I live, one of the county's Republican strongholds.  It's also one of the least corrupt parts of the county. Smiley 
There's a very strong North-South divide.  The area south of the railroad tracks is newer development and wealthier, was 60% Romney.  The Northern area is more politically even, though it varies precinct to precinct, with some 43% Obama and some 60% Obama precincts.  There are far more "Proud Union Home" yard signs in the North end of town than the South.
Highland:  Around 53-47 Obama, a little more Republican than Hobart.  This is a nice Chicago suburban town, though not as wealthy as Munster.     
Dyer/St. John/Schererville-These areas are all represented by the Lake Central School District.  St. John is even more conservative than Munster, though smaller.  It's about 60% Romney overall and is probably the most socially conservative town in the county outside of Lowell.  It's about 93% White whereas Munster/Schererville are 85% White, giving it a bit more of a GOP tilt.
Dyer-about 53-47ish Romney. 90% white and pretty Republican, but not particularly large of a town.
Schererville-Around 50/50 with a slight tilt toward Romney......very  mixed, slightly more diverse than Dyer/St. John. 
Griffith-Around 60% Obama.  75% white and only a 3% poverty rate, extremely low for such a blue-collar town.  Solidly middle-class, pro-union, and Democratic.  This town is probably the liberal dream of what America should look like. 
Merrillville-About 70% Democrat, about 50/50 white/black.  Filled with shopping centers and has the Purdue technology center.  Also a center of white flight from Gary, but now there's white flight from Merrillville to Munster/St. John/Dyer. Tongue
Crown Point-Around 43-45% Obama.....this is where the County courthouse is, pretty conservative.

More coming........

Hah, wow, another Munster resident!
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 09:41:18 PM by freepcrusher »

Des Moines Area

Purple/Magenta - white working class area. Makes up much of the city of DSM. 65-33 Obama in 2008. The area does vary though as the areas on the east and south sides sort of have a redneck feel to them while those on the west side sort of have a hipster/gentrifyer feel to them (like in the beaverdale neighborhood)

Blue - wealthy Democrats. 63-36 Obama in 2008

Green - Poor Minority Areas. Blacks and Hispanics combine for 50% or so and Obama won 79-19 in 2008.

Red - Downtown Area. 77% Obama in 2008

Gold - Inner-Ring Suburbs. Mostly built from WWII to the 1970s. Obama won this area by seven points in 2008. Still sends republicans to the legislature though.

Teal - wealthy outer suburbs. This is where the mcmansions are. I do hesitate to put Ankeny on there since it seems to be sort of a mix between the "Teal" and "Silver" category. 52.6-46 McCain in 2008

Silver - working class exurbs. This is basically people who want a more rural surrounding to raise there kids but want to live somewhere more affordable. Some of the areas have a really fundie feel to it while the area between the north side of Des Moines and Ankeny (i.e. Saydel) sort of has a seedy strip-club heavy air to it. This area was a virtual tie between Obama and McCain in 2008

Light Purple - rural areas - haven't yet seen widespread suburbanization and is still 95% white. McCain won here 53.1-44.9 in 2008.

15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »

I'll try Nashville tonight when I have time
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 10:07:39 AM »

I'll do the Perth, Australia metropolitan area sometime over the next day or two.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 02:58:09 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2016, 01:03:55 AM by Anton Kreitzer »

Okay, here's the Perth, Australia metropolitan area. Following in morgieb's footsteps, I'll do the analysis by council area. Perth is divided into 30 councils, I'll also do the satellite city of Mandurah (Mandurah is to Perth like Gosford is to Sydney, Boulder is to Denver, or Dartford is to London, a lot of people live in Mandurah and commute to an area of Perth for work).

Metropolitan Perth spans a MASSIVE area, its roughly 2 million people live in area that spans 125km (78 miles) north to south, and extends around 60km (38 miles) west to east. Perth is divided by the Swan River into a north and south, and a friendly north-south rivalry exists in the city. When you go far enough east, the north/south split ends, and you enter the Perth Hills. For this analysis, I will be allocating Perth councils into the divisions north, south, east/hills.

Ok, let's begin.

PART 1 - PERTH CITY AND INNER SUBURBS

City of Perth (North)

Known for being very small (it doesn't even cover all of the suburb of Perth), compared to other Australian cities' CBDs and central council areas alike, the City of Perth his home to around 20,000 people, and includes the major headquarters for many notable businesses, nightlife/red-light district Northbridge, and the pristine, green King's Park.

Historically, East Perth was a very run down, working-class Labor voting area, although with developments along the river, plus gentrification, East Perth is now around 60% Liberal. West Perth has long been a Liberal area, Northbridge votes around 60% Labor, and is a fairly ethnically diverse area, with significant populations originally from Asia. Perth itself is quite marginal, with some of the old East Perth vibe (there are still a few run-down houses), meeting the inner-city wealth.

Overall - Slightly Liberal-leaning on recent state/federal figures, although if we had political parties at the local government level (we don't in WA), Labor could easily win. The gentrification of parts of the City of Perth, notably East Perth, would have helped the Liberals win the state seat of Perth at the 2013 state election.

City of Vincent (North)

Split off from the City of Perth in 1994, the City of Vincent, home of around 37,000 people, named after a major road through the area, is immediately to the north of the City of Perth, and covers suburbs built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These suburbs have over the years been home to significant migrant populations, particularly immigrants from Southern Europe after World War II, and East/Southeast Asia from the 1970s.

The eastern parts of Vincent in particular, can be described as a hipster/trendy area, popular with alternative types, the gay community, young singles, and university students. This is especially true of Highgate (home of the highest Green vote in the council, votes around 65% ALP after preferences) and the parts of Mount Lawley (the older, less prestigious parts) and East Perth located in Vincent. North Perth and Mount Hawthorn, in Vincent's north/west, on the other hand, while retaining that inner city feel, are not as "trendy" as the city's eastern parts.

Overall - Very Labor-friendly (I'd say around the high 50s for Labor after preferences), with a good Greens vote, although the Liberals poll decently in Mount Hawthorn and North Perth.

Town of Victoria Park (South)

Heading over the Swan River, the Town of Victoria Park, like the City of Vincent, was part of the City of Perth until 1994. The Town of Victoria Park has a similar population to the City of Vincent, and is located to the south/south-east of Perth and Vincent. It's also home to the upcoming stadium, along with the Belmont Park racecourse, some nice parklands by the Swan River, one of WA's major universities (Curtin) and most notably, the Crown Casino and entertainment complex.

The older areas of Victoria Park, in the town's north (notably Victoria Park itself, Lathlain and Carlisle) were built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and were (and still are to a degree today) working class areas, largely voting Labor. From the 1970s onwards, the area has become more affluent, although is still overall Labor-leaning (depending on the election, the area votes between mid-high 50s for Labor to low 50s for the Liberals).

In the south of the town, are the suburbs of Bentley and St James, shared with the City of Canning. Being close to Curtin University, these suburbs have a high student population, particularly overseas students originally from Asia. A significant portion of this area was (and still is) state housing, and the area is a bit more Labor-leaning than northern parts of Victoria Park.

Overall - Fairly Labor-leaning (former Premier Geoff Gallop represented this area), although Steve Irons, federal MP for Swan, has polled well during his tenure as MP. The north of the council in particular has the potential to become more-Liberal friendly as the years go by.

City of South Perth (South)

Due south of central Perth, due west of Curtin University, and at the eastern part of the mouth of the Canning River, the Swan's major tributary, the City of South Perth is known for its riverfront views on three sides, million-dollar (and higher) houses, and being home to the Perth Zoo. Aside from Manning and Karawara, which while relatively affluent, but not to the same degree as South Perth itself, Salter Point and Waterford in particular, this is a very prestigious council, with some very grand houses, and some high-end private schools.

Overall - Very Liberal leaning (I'm talking 65-70%, sometimes higher depending on the suburb, for the Liberals), and I can't see that changing any time soon. At the state level, however, a conservative independent held the seat of South Perth from 1995 (elected as a Liberal in 1993), until his retirement in 2005.

To be continued...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »

Monroe County, Pennsylvania

includes East Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg, Mt. Poconos, Delaware Water Gap, and the Poconos

the first county in PA you drive through when you cross the Interstate 80 from NJ to PA

It had a huge swing from 2004 to 2008.  It went for Bush by just 4 points in 2004 then gave Barack Obama a 57-41 victory.  In 2012, he won it again 56-43.

I lived in Monroe from the ages of 4-12 and 16-24.  I remember it in 1989 as pretty rural and mostly white, but within five years, there was a movement of New Yorkers who migrated in because the city (NYC) was getting too expensive.  The demographics changed rapidly, but it still has a white majority.

It's got a lot of Republicans and I think most of the elderly probably support Trump, but when working at a polling place on primary day I remember trying to guess what party the person was from when they came in and it wasn't always predictable.  There are a lot of old white men who are veterans and were Democrats.

I think its a pretty moderate county.  I also thought of the area as lower-income and more blue-collar.  There are no major industries there, its just small towns, which are starting to look like suburbs.  There's been a lot of development up there in the past decade.

It's no longer the Honeymoon Getaway it was in the 50s.  The Poconos are beautiful, but I think its status as a vacation destination has fallen.

Monroe is a fastly-growing county, and the county to the northeast of it, Pike, is the fastest-growing in the state.  I've seen a lot of Latinos moving in too, maybe even more Asian families.  It's underwent a metamorphosis.  The newer residents are definitely more Democratic and they have made Monroe significantly bluer.

does anybody else know Monroe County and share some thoughts??
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2016, 01:02:28 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2016, 01:12:27 AM by Anton Kreitzer »

Here's the second part of my analysis of Metropolitan Perth:

PART 2: THE GOLDEN TRIANGLE

This part of my analysis of Metropolitan Perth will cover the councils west of the Perth CBD, on the north bank of the Swan River, and south of the City of Stirling. This area of Perth, particularly its southern parts around Claremont, Cottesloe and Nedlands, is often known as the Golden Triangle, for its long history of being the richest part of Perth.

Town of Cambridge (North)

On the other side of the Mitchell Freeway (the main freeway in Perth's northern suburbs) from the City of Vincent lies the Town of Cambridge. Like Vincent, the Town of Cambridge was split from the City of Perth in 1994, and is named after a main road through the area.

While not strictly a part of the Golden Triangle, unlike the old money areas due south of Cambridge, the area is for the most part upper middle class, especially City Beach and Floreat in the west of the Town. Parts of Wembley are a bit lower down on the class scale, and can even be won by Labor on a good day for them. Otherwise, this is 70%+ Liberal territory after preferences, with plenty of $1,000,000+ homes (in City Beach, often above $3,000,000+).

Overall: Generally solid Liberal (eastern Wembley aside), although Liz Constable, conservative Independent and minister in the first term of the Barnett Government, represented much of this area for 22 years. Indeed, in 1996 and 2008, no Liberal candidate stood against Constable.

City of Subiaco (North)

Nestled between King's Park and the City of Nedlands, and southeast of the Town of Cambridge, the City of Subiaco was first settled in the 1850s by Benedictine monks, who named the area after Subiaco in Italy.

Subiaco and Daglish, the main two suburbs of the City, are long established areas, and used to be a relatively working class area. The City was also popular with Italian migrants after World War II, and the area is also home to Perth's major football stadium, a multitude of restaurants and cafes, until recently one of Perth's most well known markets, and a few bars, pubs and clubs, making Subiaco an important area. Demographically, Subiaco's working class past is long gone, and the area is now popular with young, affluent professionals.

Overall - Fairly solid Liberal (low-mid 60s), the days when Labor would win this (Carmen Lawrence, Premier 1990-93, held the seat of Subiaco in the late 80s) at their peaks are long gone.

City of Nedlands (North)

Heading west along the Swan River, is the City of Nedlands, which wraps around the Towns of Claremont and Cottesloe, extending as far west as the coast (namely the suburb of Swanbourne). Nedlands is home to WA's most prestigious university, the University of Western Australia, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, a major hospital in Perth, and the infamous street of Jutland Parade in the City's south, one of Perth's most desirable streets.

Although largely affluent and white, significant Asian minorities live in Nedlands, and some student accommodation can be found in the city's east, near the University of Western Australia. While the booth near UWA, as it's often known, is marginal, this is by and large 70%+ Liberal territory - Dalkeith usually returns a Liberal vote of over 80% after preferences.

Overall - Very solid Liberal, with the Greens outpolling Labor in recent years.

Town of Claremont (North)

Continuing our journey west along the Swan River, the Town of Claremont, which doesn't even include all of Claremont itself (four streets are in the Town of Cottesloe), and was originally known as Butler's Swamp, after settler John Butler., in the 1830s. The area was established by the 1890s, with the development of the Perth-Fremantle railway line.

Claremont today is known for its prestigious shopping centre (the anchor tenant is David Jones, the equivalent of John Lewis or Macy's), many prestige private schools, and its showgrounds, home to Perth's annual agricultural show. The sole booth in Claremont returned a vote of 77% Liberal after preferences in 2016, and Claremont will be safe Liberal for many moons to come.

Overall - Very solid Liberal, with the Greens outpolling Labor, like a lot of areas in this part of Perth.

Town of Cottesloe (North)

Running along the coast south of Swanbourne, Cottesloe was home to wartime PM John Curtin (serving 1941-45), and known for perhaps having Perth's most pristine beach - Lonely Planet named Cottesloe Beach the 2nd best beach in the world for families. Cottesloe is largely residential, and known for its million dollar and richer homes.

Overall - Yet another blue-ribbon Liberal (70%+) area where the Greens have become the main left party (of the scant minority who vote left in this bit of Perth). Current Premier Colin Barnett has represented the area since 1990.

Shire of Peppermint Grove (North)

The smallest council in both area and population in Metropolitan Perth (and for that matter, the entire country), so small it doesn't even qualify to be a town. Premier Barnett has referred to Peppermint Grove as "Australia's Monaco", owing to its wealth and small size. Around 70% of Peppermint Grove residents are managers or professionals. The Melbourne and Sydney equivalents are Toorak and Vaucluse.

Overall - Very solid Liberal (does this need to be explained?)

Town of Mosman Park (North)

Rounding up this part of Perth is the Town of Mosman Park, established at the turn of the 20th century. Some state housing can be found near the railway station, and the area was industrial in character until the 1970s, reflective of its proximity to Fremantle to its south, but otherwise this is a blue-ribbon Liberal area, much like the areas to its north. Mosman Park voted 74% Liberal in 2016.

Overall - Another very solid Liberal council.

Coming soon - Part 3 - Fremantle and the Inner South
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »

Monroe County, Pennsylvania

does anybody else know Monroe County and share some thoughts??

I haven't heard them lately but in the past few years there were ads on CT radio stations selling land in Monroe County, PA. I forget the exact prices but it was something like 3 acres or 30 acres for $150,000.

Monroe & Pike Counties have been considered part of the NYC Metropolitan Area since the 2000 Census.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 01:36:43 AM »

Part 3 of Perth, Australia is here!

PART 3: FREMANTLE AND THE INNER SOUTH

In this analysis, I will be covering the councils south of the Swan River, (generally) west of the Canning River, and north of the Kwinana industrial hub. Namely, the Cities of Fremantle, Melville and Cockburn, and the Town of East Fremantle.

City of Fremantle (South, with a small part in the North)

Heading south out of the Golden Triangle, you'll find yourself in North Fremantle, which barely votes Liberal unlike its northern neighbours, home of the North Quay of Fremantle Harbour. Fremantle, named after English captain Charles Fremantle, is often known as Freo by locals, was first settled in 1829 (indeed, was the first area in the Perth Metropolitan Area to be settled), became a city in 1929, and has long been Perth’s major port, situated at the mouth of the Swan River. Between 1850 and 1868 (when convict transportation ended), Fremantle was WA’s receiver of convicts from the UK, and really came into being as a port in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Fremantle itself is the best area in metropolitan Perth for the Greens – Long a Labor stronghold (Labor win, even on their worst days, by around 65% at least after preferences), courtesy of its port city heritage, working class (historically, still true for areas away from central Fremantle), and young, progressive (now) demographics and hub for post-World War II immigrants, the Greens have become a major challenge to Labor’s former iron-grip on Fremantle – they won a state by-election in 2009, although lost the seat back to Labor at the 2013 election (google Adele Carles for more information). Fremantle, particularly since the 1970s, has long been a hub for leftists, artists, hipsters, social justice warriors, and people living alternative lifestyles, and in much of the council, the Greens outpoll the Liberals. An example of Fremantle’s left-leaningness is the recent decision by Fremantle city council to abolish the Australia Day fireworks, citing sensitivity amongst Aboriginal people.

Away from central Fremantle are, in a counter-clockwise direction, the suburbs of South Fremantle, Beaconsfield, Hilton, Samson and White Gum Valley. South Fremantle is an extension of Fremantle, with the southern areas more in line with Hamilton Hill and Spearwood (in the city of Cockburn), the Greens outpoll the Liberals, Beaconsfield is a bit more Liberal-leaning, Hilton was a post-World War II state housing development, and has since adopted the overall Fremantle feel so to speak, with the Greens polling a whopping 36% in 2016. Samson is more like Cockburn and Melville cities to the south and east respectively, and is more of a regular everyday suburb, voting high 50s for Labor after preferences, and a much lower Green vote than anywhere else in Fremantle council. White Gum Valley is similar to Hilton.

Overall - Solid Labor (65%+ 2PP), although if WA had political parties at the local government level, the Greens would likely have controlled the council at least once by now.

Town of East Fremantle (South)

The only Fremantle-area suburb to not be in the City of Fremantle, the Town of East Fremantle was largely agricultural until around 1890, when houses began to be built for workers in Fremantle, and in the 1940s and 1950s, further development occurred with the post-war population boom. Around 10% of East Fremantle residents have Italian ancestry. Generally speaking, the houses away from the river are the older, workers' cottages, while the newer areas closer to the river are more like the City of Melville to the east - namely larger houses, especially along the river.

Overall - Very balanced between the 60% Liberal-voting riverfront, and 60% Labor-voting areas away from the river. Would be a key swing council, if Perth's councils were part of an electoral college.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 02:28:53 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2016, 09:00:02 AM by Anton Kreitzer »

PART 3: FREMANTLE AND THE INNER SOUTH (continued)

City of Melville (South)

Heading east on the Canning and Leach Highways out of Fremantle, you enter the City of Melville. Unlike the port directly to its west, Melville, for the most part, is conservative middle class to upper-middle class suburbia. The City of Melville is based on the southern bank of the Swan River, western bank of the Canning River, and north of the chain of lakes around Bibra Lake.

West Meville (around Melville itself)

In the west, the suburb of Bicton votes 60%+ Liberal after preferences, has long been a desirable riverside area, and is home to the Point Walter reserve and golf course. Neighbouring Attadale and Alfred Cove are even more Liberal voting, around 70%. Palmyra, to Bicton’s south, is more like East Fremantle/Fremantle, Labor-leaning with a decent Green vote, Willagee, home to the Birnie murders of the 1980s, was developed as a state housing project, but has gentrified somewhat, and only mildly voted Labor at the last state and federal elections, although is still way more Labor than most of Melville. Former Premier Alan Carpenter represented Willagee, along with areas to its south.

Melville and Myaree, the latter of which is a light industrial area, have a slight Liberal tinge (generally, closer to the river = higher Liberal vote), while Kardinya, in the southwest corner of Melville, is a large suburb, and has both Labor and Liberal-leaning ends.

Garden City (northeastern corner of the city)

North of the Leach Highway, and around the meeting of the Swan and Canning Rivers, are a number of middle to upper-middle class suburbs. One of the focal points is the Garden City shopping centre, the premier shopping centre in the southern suburbs, near the Wireless Hill reserve, which is both an Aboriginal historic site, and an early radio transmission site in Perth, dating back to the 1910s.

This area, containing the suburbs of Booragoon, Alfred Cove, Ardross, Mount Pleasant and Brentwood votes 65-75% Liberal (highest in the northeast around Applecross), and that’s unlikely to change any time soon.

Southeastern Melville

The rest of Melville, around Murdoch University, east of Kardinya and Willagee, and south of Leach Highway, is a solid Liberal voting area, although not as solid as the Garden City area of Melville. Murdoch is home to the university of the same name, and a major hospital, its little residential area is similar to the middle class suburbs of Winthrop and Bateman, voting low to mid 60s for the Liberals. The Winthrop area has a large percentage of people with Chinese and other Asian ancestries (notably Malay and Singaporean). Hopping over to the eastern side the Kwinana Freeway, are the suburbs of Bull Creek and Leeming, which are also middle-class, low-high 60s Liberal voting areas, with significant Asian communities.

Overall - Solid Liberal, with some Labor-leaning areas closer to Fremantle, and an independent streak in the City’s north. This is evident by an independent holding the state seat of Alfred Cove, covering much of the City’s affluent riverside suburbs, from 2001 to 2013.

City of Cockburn (South)

South of Fremantle and Melville is the City of Cockburn, which covers much of the geographic area of the federal Division of Fremantle. Cockburn takes its name from Cockburn Sound, an oceanside inlet named after Admiral Sir George Cockburn. Cockburn is known for its string of lakes and wetlands (notably Bibra Lake and Thomsons Lake), running north-south through the council, its history of market gardening and industry, and today is still home to major industry in the south of the City, and is one of Perth’s major residential growth areas.

I’ll divide the Cockburn the area into two for this assessment, using the lakes as a natural barrier. The suburbs east of the lakes, are for the most part, newer areas than those west of the lakes.

West Cockburn (Spearwood-Beeliar)

In Cockburn’s north, away from the coast, are the former market gardening and farming suburbs Spearwood, Hamilton Hill and Coolbellup. Spearwood, closest to the coast, is home to the heart of Perth’s Croatian community, and is also home to a significant population with Italian ancestry. Spearwood’s working-class, Southern-European tinged demographics return a Labor vote around 60%, and I can’t see the Liberals winning this area for the foreseeable future. Hamilton Hill is safer for Labor, pushing up to around 70% for them on a good day, while regenerated and less Mediterranean Coolbellup, built as state housing post-World War II, regularly returns Labor votes over 70%.

On the coast, the suburbs of Coogee and Munster are some of the better Liberal areas in Cockburn, returning Liberal votes in the low 50s. With a recently-built marina in North Coogee, a lot of the area has sprung up in the past decade or so, residential development only really began here in the 1980s, with some scattered rural lots and houses prior to then.

Southern areas of coastal Cockburn, around Henderson, are major industrial areas, including the Cockburn Cement works. Moving back north, to the southeast of the Spearwood area, and due east of Coogee, are the suburbs of Yangebup and Beeliar. Yangebup has two distinct areas, one developed in the 1970s and 1980s, and a much newer area. Yangebup is dominated by its older end, which has a less affluent demographic, and votes 60-65% Labor. Beeliar, on the other hand, was built from the 1990s onwards, much of it since 2000, and is around 10% weaker for Labor than Yangebup.

East Cockburn and the Lakes (Bibra Lake-Atwell)

Crossing over to the eastern side of the lakes, are the Lake suburbs – North, Bibra and South Lake. While North Lake and Bibra Lake straddle the divide, so to speak, the residential areas of both suburbs are largely on the eastern shores, so they have been included in this section.

North Lake’s residential areas are two small areas either side of the lake, which are similar to Coolbellup/Murdoch (in Melville) respectively, on the west and east. Bibra Lake straddles across the large lake of the same name, on the west is a major industrial and commercial area, and Perth’s major theme park, Adventure World, while its residential area has a slight Labor tinge – mid-high 50s after preferences. South Lake, like Yangebup, has two distinct ends – the older end, developed in the 1980s, is a strong Labor (65% or so) area with a relatively high Aboriginal population, while the new end is a swing area, much like those closer to Cockburn Central train station. The small residential area of Jandakot, location of Jandakot Airport, is nearby here, and would have a slight Labor lean, given its demographics (similarity to Bibra Lake).

To the south of South Lake is Cockburn Central – a new hub for the City of Cockburn (despite its name, Spearwood is where the council chamber is located). Cockburn Central contains the area’s major shopping and entertainment providers, along with Cockburn Central train station, centred in the freeway median.

Cockburn Central, named only nine years ago, was built in part to serve the suburbs of Success and Hammond Park to the west of the railway/freeway, and Atwell and Aubin Grove to their east. Rural until around 1990, these suburbs have largely been built this century, large portions this decade, and tend to be swing suburbs full of young families with large mortgages, mortgage belt suburbs as they’re known in Australian politics – Labor and the Liberals are often a few points within each other here, the Liberals do better east of the freeway, Atwell sometimes votes 60% Liberal on a good day for them.

Overall - Labor leaning, around the high 50s/low 60s across the whole city, although the Liberals have a couple of decent areas, and hold the state seat of Jandakot, which takes up all of Cockburn east of the freeway, plus areas around North Lake.

Coming In Part 4 - The Outer South
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

City of Richmond:
Generally moderate on social issues (pro-abortion, anti-gay marriage, moderately religious), moderate-to-conservative on fiscal issues with anti-government sentiments on taxation. Whites more liberal than Asians.

City of Vancouver:
Similar political climate to that of Seattle. Very liberal whites+very liberal Asians (generally lower class than those in Richmond).

City of North Vancouver:
Generally conservative fiscally. Socially moderate, like Richmond, but the main demographic group is European-Canadian.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies