Maryland death penalty's death watch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:57:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maryland death penalty's death watch
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maryland death penalty's death watch  (Read 307 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-death-online-20130308,0,4860076.story

Governor O'Malley's bill to abolish the death penalty heads for a full House vote, having been already passed by the Senate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »

THIS is an execution I'd be glad to witness. Wink
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »

Soon the citizens of Maryland will be freerer.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

I am glad there is one thing I can agree with Martin O'Malley on Smiley
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:08:45 AM »

It's one step forward to full abolition. I wonder when we'll get to 20 or even 25 states without the death penalty. It's not impossible to see a scenario over the next 10-20 years where the Supreme Court takes up the death penalty in and of itself in light of that and its "evolving standards of decency" test. Justice Kennedy probably wouldn't pull that trigger, but I could see a liberal majority do so. A liberal majority on the Supreme Court is probably the only way we'll see full abolition of capital punishment in the United States (and I mean something like the Brennan/Marshall opinions and not the Furman decision).

I'm sure there are votes on the current Court that agree with Justices Brennan and Marshall, but just do not take their hardline position (in that they would always object to the imposition of the death penalty). Even Justice Stevens in the lethal injection case didn't go that far, despite his position that the death penalty itself was in violation of the Eighth Amendment. As I understand it, the conservative majority on the Court during the 80's would take up death penalty cases in response to those two in order to uphold them and thus hasten executions. If there were a fifth persuadable Justice on the Court, I have little doubt that the four liberal Justices would strike down the death penalty in all cases.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »

It's one step forward to full abolition. I wonder when we'll get to 20 or even 25 states without the death penalty. It's not impossible to see a scenario over the next 10-20 years where the Supreme Court takes up the death penalty in and of itself in light of that and its "evolving standards of decency" test. Justice Kennedy probably wouldn't pull that trigger, but I could see a liberal majority do so. A liberal majority on the Supreme Court is probably the only way we'll see full abolition of capital punishment in the United States (and I mean something like the Brennan/Marshall opinions and not the Furman decision).

I'm sure there are votes on the current Court that agree with Justices Brennan and Marshall, but just do not take their hardline position (in that they would always object to the imposition of the death penalty). Even Justice Stevens in the lethal injection case didn't go that far, despite his position that the death penalty itself was in violation of the Eighth Amendment. As I understand it, the conservative majority on the Court during the 80's would take up death penalty cases in response to those two in order to uphold them and thus hasten executions. If there were a fifth persuadable Justice on the Court, I have little doubt that the four liberal Justices would strike down the death penalty in all cases.

The SCOTUS is indeed the only plausible way for abolishing the capital punishment. Even if (a very big "if") the Congress votes to scrap the federal death penalty, it wouldn't affect state laws and for sure there will be some states, even with a strong nationwide trend against the death penalty, to retain in and execute sentences.

The only theoretical way for a nationwide abolition without the SCOTUS delivering a judicial ruling is a constitutional amendment. Very unlikely as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies