Strongest Subject in School
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:49:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Strongest Subject in School
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Strongest Subject in School  (Read 6082 times)
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »

Which subject was/is your strongest in school?

For me, math has always been my strongest, and I got an 800 on the SAT Math.  I also liked social studies and most science classes, but I despised English class.                                             

Interestingly, the vast majority of people I know who like politics do not like math/numbers, though I got interested in politics partly because of the statistics involved in it.  I love messing around on Excel with data sets of each state's voting, finding standard deviation,    long term trends, etc.                                                     
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »

Interestingly, the vast majority of people I know who like politics do not like math/numbers, though I got interested in politics partly because of the statistics involved in it.

That's basically me.  I've been able to maintain something higher than a B average on my math and science grades a few times, but I'm normally better in English and social studies.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »

I was always decent at math, though I gave up the rigorous course in high school to join choir instead, which gave me infinitely more enjoyment.

My favorite subject once I got into high school was German... learning a foreign language came easy and naturally to me.

I enjoyed biology, and to some degree, chemistry...

I never had trouble getting an A if I applied myself... but I often didn't and ended up with B's.  I guess there is a difference between IQ and EQ (Education Quotient).

That said, I've learned vastly more since high school through college and after.  I'm kind of a sponge for certain subjects:  Demographics, weather, climate, macro-economics, sociology, biology...

The subject I probably hated most were English/grammar... even though I always did well in them.  They were incredibly boring and the books we had to read never interested me.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »

History and English, though my all around best was Intro Bible last year. Had the best teacher ever, and it was an awesome class.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »

Same here, though in reverse order.  I mean, I always got an A in every class (to do otherwise in an ordinary middle class exurban high school would've been odd), but just rating English higher as I liked it more.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »

Math.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »

In high school I was pretty good at everything except math and the sciences. In university, I know I have the potential to be good at all my courses, except now I just don't give a shit, which is slightly dangerous. Tongue

I'd say English and Geography are up there. I can write a kick-ass English essay, but I just don't really enjoy it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »

It fluctuated a lot... Generally speaking, those I most enjoyed were History, French, and later on Economic and Social Sciences.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »

In terms of actual grasp of the subject? History. In terms of grades? Hmmm.... I can tell you that it's not Calculus or any of its contemporaries.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

Best: History & English
Worst: Biology
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »

History
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »

Debate, of course. Of the non-electives, probably history. Always been rather good at biology for some reason as well. My worst is math. English and French are somewhere in the middle.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

Math probably came the easiest, at least through High School.  History/Social Studies was the most fulfilling.  PE was the most fun.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »

In primary/secondary school? I don't know, they were all extremely easy for me.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

Math. I expect that is why I did well in economics in college.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »

In high school, my best was math and my worst was the life sciences.  In college, my best was History and my worst was English/Biology.  I did not agree with a lot of the concepts taught in Biology, so I never really applied myself and ended up getting a C or D in Collegiate Biology.  I can't remember.  I got an A in College Chemistry and an A in high school Chemistry.  I mustered a B in High School Physics and did not take Physics in college.  I only got one C all through High School and that was Calculus AB in the Fall 2000 Semester (my Senior Year).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »

Debate, of course. Of the non-electives, probably history. Always been rather good at biology for some reason as well. My worst is math. English and French are somewhere in the middle.
I wish we had debate at my school Sad I got a 77 on my last geometry test, which is the highest grade I have gotten all year in that class.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:11:33 PM »

I wish we had debate at my school Sad I got a 77 on my last geometry test, which is the highest grade I have gotten all year in that class.

It's actually kinda surprising that you don't. South Florida tends to be very debate-heavy; top schools are Nova, Western, University School, and American Heritage
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 11:12:15 PM »

Our school has a debate class and a debate team.  I never took the class but am on the debate team.

I did policy debate in 9th/10th grade, but honestly, I wasn't that interested in policy because the issues weren't exactly hot-button and the debates were more about your pre-prepared evidence than anything else.  Next year I'll probably do LD or PFD debate which seem more interesting.

Politically, our debate team is a mixed bag, but it definitely leans liberal, with several conservatives, including one rock-ribbed conservative Republican atheist (quite rare) who loves to bash Al Gore. 

I'd consider myself centrist or slightly left of center(used to be more liberal, but I changed my mind on a lot of issues, especially economic ones) and it's amazing how closed minded some of the liberals are.  For example, there was a bus stop on the way back, with Chipotle and Chick Fil A.  The liberals said that you're an idiot if you go to Chick Fil A and said they were homophobic or expressing an opinion on gay marriage.  I said respectfully that Chick Fil A has the right to express it's opinion and they aren't evil for feeling a certain way on a controversial issue, and that comment made some think I was super Republican, even though I have no problem with gay marriage.  When I said Citizens United was no big deal and wasn't a mortal threat to democracy(this was a PFD topic, and I was providing advice), that also made liberal friends angry.  I often counter-debate the far-left people on the team, even if I agree with them, because it's fun to see their responses.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29:58 PM »

Art.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »

Oh God, I was SO BAD at Art...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »

History, despite me studying in hard sciences.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 12:44:18 AM »

My favorite alwaays ben English langage. It was also me's best subject in school.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

History in the last 2 years of high school was boring but I was strong at it (even if my grade 12 history teacher disliked me and underestimated my final grade by like 10-15%). I was also good in English, which was even more boring but pretty easy (even if I didn't read the assigned books).

For obvious reasons my best class was French (as a second language-type class), where I really slacked off and still got a 98%. I also did very well in those social science elective-type classes like politics or law.

My worst subject was biology (74%). I managed an 85% in math, but it was Dumb Math. I also got an 81% in PhysEd, which was my worst non-science marks in high school.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »

English, History and Geography - primary school
English, Modern History, Legal Studies - High School.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies