Strongest Subject in School
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:12:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Strongest Subject in School
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Strongest Subject in School  (Read 5966 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »

Best: History
Worst: Math (especially trigonometry and algebra)
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »

Ditto.  I wager with 99% certainty I would get a higher GPA as a math major than a basket weaving major.  I just can't do art.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

I did policy debate in 9th/10th grade, but honestly, I wasn't that interested in policy because the issues weren't exactly hot-button and the debates were more about your pre-prepared evidence than anything else.  Next year I'll probably do LD or PFD debate which seem more interesting.

Politically, our debate team is a mixed bag, but it definitely leans liberal, with several conservatives, including one rock-ribbed conservative Republican atheist (quite rare) who loves to bash Al Gore. 

Policy has always been... odd... I've done Congress and have experimented with PFD, both of which seem a lot more like actual debate than policy is.

Our debate team breaks down by event; LD kids are definitely more liberal, the policy kids are more Obama-backing than anything, PFD kids seem center-left overall, and Congress is the most conservative event (at least one or two conservatives and two libertarians, myself included).
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »

I did policy debate in 9th/10th grade, but honestly, I wasn't that interested in policy because the issues weren't exactly hot-button and the debates were more about your pre-prepared evidence than anything else.  Next year I'll probably do LD or PFD debate which seem more interesting.

Politically, our debate team is a mixed bag, but it definitely leans liberal, with several conservatives, including one rock-ribbed conservative Republican atheist (quite rare) who loves to bash Al Gore. 

Policy has always been... odd... I've done Congress and have experimented with PFD, both of which seem a lot more like actual debate than policy is.

Our debate team breaks down by event; LD kids are definitely more liberal, the policy kids are more Obama-backing than anything, PFD kids seem center-left overall, and Congress is the most conservative event (at least one or two conservatives and two libertarians, myself included).

Interesting.  Our school doesn't allow a debate team member to do just Congress.  They have to do it in conjunction with PFD or LD (policy people always stay in policy).  My policy partner was an independent conservative and so was the policy coach.  The atheist conservative I mentioned also debates policy.  Most of the rest weren't attentive to political matters. 

LD is pretty much all liberal at our school with 1 conservative.

PFD kids are also liberal, but this is by far the most popular, so views are mixed.

The coaches, however, are all conservatives.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »

Best: History in the sense of retaining the most, grades-wise Biology has always been consistently strong
Worst: Music without a doubt. I cannot sing, I attempted to learn to play the flute once, got two Fs in a row and dropped out after the first semester. Back in middle school where General Music was required I found it difficult to pull out a B-, and nowadays I'm musically illiterate.

Our school has a debate team, of which I am technically a member; I pay the dues and go to a tournament a year or so but I don't usually show up. It's socially liberal to a man; there are libertarians and liberals, but basically no conservatives. (I want to say none at all, but like I said I don't attend frequently so perhaps I've missed a person or 2). The latter tend to be more casual about their beliefs, while the former are more passionate and are better debaters, but there's more of the latter.

Reading the topic summary, it seems I'm unique being good at the life sciences on this forum, which is rather interesting.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »

For me it really depends on the teacher, interest wise I would say science if the teacher is good. And English if the teacher is bad

grades wise Science/SS best, English worst (as you mightn't figured from my posts, but I'm still a pretty good student.)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »

In high school I got A's in everything, except Physics which was an honors class anyways and as such my B counted as an A for GPA purposes. So I can't say that I really had a strongest subject at that level - usually I just had favorite classes due to the teachers or subject matter.

My favorite classes were my first two semesters of art classes, Biology, and my senior year English literature class.

The art class was because we had a cool teacher and we had interesting projects - my favorite was the one where we had to make a display using a Barbie doll. The only grading criteria is that it had to be something the teacher wasn't able to make in 24 hours. My project was "Ghetto Crackhouse Barbie". I remember sewing her this potato-sack like dress to wear, making a mirrored little table with lines of fake cocaine on them, and making her this crappy little shack to live in.

Biology was just fun and interesting as a class. We had a good teacher (very nice lady, knowledgable but not particularly interesting) and we got to dissect things. It was rather grody at some points mind you, like when we had to dissect a fetal pig. The teacher would give bonus points if you could achieve certain things, like finding an earthworm's brain or getting the fetal pig's brain out of it's skull without damaging it.

The English Lit. class had a really interesting teacher. He had a very confrontational teaching style. We had interesting debates. My favorites were on A Modest Proposal and on Genesis. The Genesis debate is what started me moving towards atheism rather than the apatheism I had before.

College is a bit hard to measure as well. I did get very different grades, ranging from A's to C's, but the classes themselves had starkly varying degrees of difficulty. Generally speaking the Computer Science, math, and science oriented things were more difficult than the history and social studies type classes. I was definitely weakest in calculus, though ironically calculus made physics a breeze - working through physics problems is so much more sensible with calculus than it is with algebra.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »

History and Geography
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 01:52:14 PM »

Same. I was really good at math, but hated it and never really tried so I ended up getting mediocre grades for not showing work or making arithmetic errors.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »

Same. I was really good at math, but hated it and never really tried so I ended up getting mediocre grades for not showing work or making arithmetic errors.

History and geography is my degree. If anyone wants to trade places, let me know. Tongue
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »

History and geography is my degree. If anyone wants to trade places, let me know. Tongue

Sure, if you want my Economics degree.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »

In high school I got A's in everything, except Physics which was an honors class anyways and as such my B counted as an A for GPA purposes. So I can't say that I really had a strongest subject at that level - usually I just had favorite classes due to the teachers or subject matter.

Oh gosh, I'm in 10th grade and Honors Physics is a ****ing bear.  I have 0 problems with math/chemistry but physics is really difficult.  I have a 95%, but tha'ts because 2/3 of our grade is homework, otherwise most of the class would be failing.

We get a college level textbook, work from a college level test bank and we go at a super-fast pace(about 12 chapters a semester).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »

Not if we go through with the struggle meeting Wink.

Anyway, as of the most recent thing, my grades go social studies>Spanish>math (I haven't done as well as usual lately but I improved this quarter yay! *goes on rant about school*)>English>biology
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »

Civics, obviously.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »

I did not agree with a lot of the concepts taught in Biology

That's odd. Don't they use the Old Testament as the biology textbook in Oklahoma?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »

It was either Spanish or Mathematics.  I had four years of both in high school.  Also, I went to many competitions in both of those subjects and won several trophies.  What a nerd.  My trophy shelf didn't have anything from baseball or hockey or anything like that.  Just academic stuff.  I went on to major in mathematics and landed a job as a Spanish/English translator.  I excelled at some other subjects, but those are the two that came most naturally in high school.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »

11th grade American History.  not very difficult with a solid 4+ years of uselectionatlas.org under my belt.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »

I always performed well in any humanities class I ever took, mostly because I worked hard at my writing and I read a lot.  I was horrid at math in high school but got much better, to the tune of B grades, in college.  Actually, I wish I had been better at math--I'd be a far more worthwhile human being if I were better at math.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »

I'd be a far more worthwhile human being if I were better at math.

how do you mean?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »

add Science to the best and that's mine...
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »

Best: Drama, History
Worst: Math
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »

Wait, would that count physics, because physics is essentially half math. (Speaking of which I know an freshman who took college math as an 8th grader and took physics and chem before earthscience
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »

English and Swedish hands down. Though I was at the top of my class in most other subjects as well, but that says more about my class than me. Tongue
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »

Wait, would that count physics, because physics is essentially half math. (Speaking of which I know an freshman who took college math as an 8th grader and took physics and chem before earthscience

*facepalm*
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »

I'm surprised by people who chose "Math" as their worst and "science as their best.

I'm only in 10th grade, and the science classes I'm taking (Honors Chem, Honors Physics) definitely require you to be pretty good at math.  Chem is fairly easy, but I find the Honors Physics problems we get (from the AWFUL Serway College Physics textbook) to be excruciatingly difficult and more involved than any precalc problem I've ever had. 

Heck, I qualified for the AIME/received an 800 on the SAT math and I still think Honors Physics is really really hard. 

How could someone do well in physics without being super good at math/problem solving? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies