Ryan says House GOP budget will include Obamacare repeal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:08:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ryan says House GOP budget will include Obamacare repeal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ryan says House GOP budget will include Obamacare repeal  (Read 2935 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/10/ryan-says-house-gop-budget-will-include-obamacare-repeal/
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »

#headdesk

They just don't get it, do they...
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »

He should probably just go along with Obamacare and try to slip in provisions letting states opt out more. In about 3 years or so, the obvious flaws of the system will come out and repealing it (and then imposing something not stupid) will be trivial, but doing so, assuming it actually passed, wouldn't prove anything.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »

He should probably just go along with Obamacare and try to slip in provisions letting states opt out more. In about 3 years or so, the obvious flaws of the system will come out and repealing it (and then imposing something not stupid) will be trivial, but doing so, assuming it actually passed, wouldn't prove anything.

ROFL
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »

Yeah. No. Obamacare is the law until we get single payer
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2013, 02:10:58 PM by Shadowlord88 »

Obamacare is here to stay.  The Republicans already lost their last chance at repeal and no amount of whining will change that.  I suspect Ryan knows this won't go anywhere and is only doing it to shore up conservative credentials for a possible 2016 run.  Regardless, his budget won't pass and Obamacare is the law of the land.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »

Glad that time was wasted on that whole Obama-GOP dinner date nonsense.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »

Ryan should know that there is no shot Obama is going sign a bill repealing his greatest achievement (at least in the dems eyes.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »

I don't even understand how Obamacare is supposed to add to the deficit.  The CBO agrees.  It's basically people have to get insurance or pay a tax.  That sounds like a profit scheme for the government not a loss.

This whole thing reminds me of this:

Tax Relief Act of 2005

Clause #1
For all of Atlasia, taxes will be lowered for all by 50% in the timespan of a year.

Clause #2
For the spending cuts needed to pass this bill, I propose spending cuts on each of the following bills:

~The Health Care Reform Act of 2004
~The Atlasia Concealed Firearm Act of 2004
~The Welfare Reform Bill
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2013, 03:47:05 PM by bballrox4717 »

The GOP needs to realize that they need to control all 3 houses in order to repeal Obamacare, which will become untouchable by the time they actually get control again. This fight ended with the SCOTUS and Obama's reelection. It's done. Freaking deal with it.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »

And does he balance the budget with a new tax on unicorns?

This kind of thing shows they arent interested in being part of governing, just making political statements
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »

Good to see the cause isn't being given up on.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »

And does he balance the budget with a new tax on unicorns?

This kind of thing shows they arent interested in being part of governing, just making political statements

Since the FY 2014 budget will never be anything more than a political statement in the current climate, might as well use it as one.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »

The GOP needs to realize that they need to control all 3 houses in order to repeal Obamacare, which will become untouchable by the time they actually get control again. This fight ended with the SCOTUS and Obama's reelection. It's done. Freaking deal with it.

Not only that, but they would also need 60 senate seats to break a dem filibuster.  Reonciliation would only work to cut off funding, which alone would cause a huge backlash against the GOP.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »

'Murica
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »

Pfff. Of course it will. It's not going to work, but at least we'd be able to replace it with something that's legitimately free, universal, and healthcare if it did.

I wonder when the national GOP will finally accept that they lost the election...?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »

Pfff. Of course it will. It's not going to work, but at least we'd be able to replace it with something that's legitimately free, universal, and healthcare if it did.

I wonder when the national GOP will finally accept that they lost the election...?

They won't. Every individual Republican won their elections from their districts fair and square, and got a mandate to fight Obama. People forget that 'the national GOP' consists of elected officials whose districts backed them to do exactly what they're doing now in 2012. That's how democracy works, brother.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »

They won't. Every individual Republican won their elections from their districts fair and square, and got a mandate to fight Obama. People forget that 'the national GOP' consists of elected officials whose districts backed them to do exactly what they're doing now in 2012. That's how democracy works, brother.

Forgive me, but you'd have to be terribly naive to think what they're doing has anything to do with what they, or especially their constituents, believe. They're politicians, my friend - they're paid not to care. This is, and always has been, about spiting Obama. I'm not even particularly a fan of the man myself, or his idea of "free" healthcare, but even I can see that clear as day.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »

There is no "mandate" to fight Obama from House Republicans.  The only reason why they control the chamber is because they got to gerrymander most states in their favor in 2012.  Plain and simple. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »

There is no "mandate" to fight Obama from House Republicans.  The only reason why they control the chamber is because they got to gerrymander most states in their favor in 2012.  Plain and simple. 

Republicans think they won 2000 "fair and square", too. Kind of pointless to reason with them.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 07:51:19 PM »

But there is for every individual Republican House member. The gerrymandering doesn't matter; within the new lines, every Republican House member was elected by the voters, "fair and square". The folks who vote Republican expect them to block Obama's agenda, so why shouldn't they?

Republicans think they won 2000 "fair and square", too. Kind of pointless to reason with them.

Well, they did. You can argue the rules are flawed, since Gore did get more popular votes, but under the rules in place at the time, still there today, Bush did win fair and square.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »

So are they also proposing what they will replace it with?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »

These are people who want to wipe away all vestiges of the New Deal, for Christ's sake. I just wish they could agree that there are basic provisions that all citizens in this supremely wealthy and warlike nation deserve, among them the right to basic healthcare. It's really embarrassing to me that they don't think so.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »

Vosem chimes in, and this thread suddenly turns into an epic fail.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »

So are they also proposing what they will replace it with?
I think Alan Grayson knows the answer to that question.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies