Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act proposed in Maryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:56:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act proposed in Maryland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act proposed in Maryland  (Read 2132 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »

This is awesome

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »

If a kid threatens another with a gun-shaped object (including his fingers) he should be punished.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »

If a kid threatens another with a gun-shaped object (including his fingers) he should be punished.

Why? It's not like he's going to actually hurt anyone with a toaster pastry.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:49:01 PM »

What is this I don't even...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »

Excellent news!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »

Do you realize that toaster pastries are loaded with sugar?  Seems like banning them should be Bloomberg's next objective. Or maybe just limiting them to be no bigger than 1.6 ounces?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »

Because children should be taught that threatening people with violence is bad.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »

I absolutely love Lief's humor.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »

If you feel that having a toaster pastry pointed at you is a threat of violence you should probably be one of the people in the bill scheduled to receive counseling.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 04:21:22 PM »

Shaping something into a gun, pointing it at someone, and yelling "bang, bang" is definitely acting violently, yes. I wouldn't suspend a kid for that, but he should definitely be at least lectured about it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »

Shaping something into a gun, pointing it at someone, and yelling "bang, bang" is definitely acting violently, yes. I wouldn't suspend a kid for that, but he should definitely be at least lectured about it.

children do this thing called "play," Lief. perhaps you've heard of it?

ftr, the kid was not pointing the pastry at anyone.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »

Yeah, and playing violently should not be allowed. Maybe if we taught children from a young age that guns were bad, people wouldn't go around massacring each other in this country.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »

Friggin Liberals with their pastry gun control
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »

Yeah, and playing violently should not be allowed. Maybe if we taught children from a young age that guns were bad, people wouldn't go around massacring each other in this country.

This. Anyone who disagrees with this is (or will be) a terrible parent.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 05:15:14 PM »

In a study of adults who committed violent crimes (including the Virginia Tech killer), it was noted that their childhoods were marked by a lack of play (including violent play). "Play can act as a powerful deterrent, even an antidote to prevent violence. Play is a powerful catalyst for positive socialization", according to psychiatrist Stuart Brown. The Lucy Daniels Center for Early Childhood encourages parents not to suppress aggressive play. "Children turn to play so that they can learn what they need to learn about aggression. We should become concerned about children's relationship to aggression only if they appear to be overly pre-occupied with aggression in their thoughts or actions outside the sphere of play." 60 to 80 percent of boys and 30 percent of girls played with aggressive toys (including toy guns) at home.

TL;DR: studiest have never shown any kind of link between playing with toy weapons in childhood and violence in adulthood, and there may actually be a link between a lack of play and violence.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »

Hmmm... I guess I could've faced some sort of arrest as early as elementary school then. Especially since there'd have to be this whole discussion as to whether "playing" finger guns is akin to threatening one with one.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »

This. Anyone who disagrees with this is (or will be) a terrible parent.

More important than the vague "bad" has to be actual gun safety -- what you do if you see a gun lying around (run away, then inform authorities), always assume a gun is loaded, if you have a gun in your hand for whatever reason never point it anyone, don't be an idiot, etc. etc. I would also argue that teaching people the correct way to use a gun is also important, but that comes down to the parents' decisions (and, after 18, the person's own decisions).

"Guns are bad" and then not speaking another word leads only to ignorance. And I think without permanent physical harm (and, at this kid's age, they're really not capable of that) even "violent" (note the quotation marks) play can be beneficial -- teaches you to try to avoid hurt, teaches you what you are and are not capable of, and has you doing physical activity in a world where childhood obesity is a terrible issue.

My father and grandfather brought me to a shooting range at the first time at the age of 9, and I remember it as a marvelous experience bonding with my family and figuring out how the world around me worked. (I wasn't actually allowed to handle a gun until several years later, I don't recall exactly when, but watching other people was still an experience I enjoyed immensely).
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »

In a study of adults who committed violent crimes (including the Virginia Tech killer), it was noted that their childhoods were marked by a lack of play (including violent play). "Play can act as a powerful deterrent, even an antidote to prevent violence. Play is a powerful catalyst for positive socialization", according to psychiatrist Stuart Brown. The Lucy Daniels Center for Early Childhood encourages parents not to suppress aggressive play. "Children turn to play so that they can learn what they need to learn about aggression. We should become concerned about children's relationship to aggression only if they appear to be overly pre-occupied with aggression in their thoughts or actions outside the sphere of play." 60 to 80 percent of boys and 30 percent of girls played with aggressive toys (including toy guns) at home.

TL;DR: studiest have never shown any kind of link between playing with toy weapons in childhood and violence in adulthood, and there may actually be a link between a lack of play and violence.

Spuriously-reasoned study is spuriously reasoned.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »

My father and grandfather brought me to a shooting range at the first time at the age of 9, and I remember it as a marvelous experience bonding with my family and figuring out how the world around me worked. (I wasn't actually allowed to handle a gun until several years later, I don't recall exactly when, but watching other people was still an experience I enjoyed immensely).

The fact that 9 year-olds are allowed at a shooting range, let alone allowed to discharge a firearm is disgusting and embodies everything that is wrong with America's culture of violence and pseudo-machismo.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2013, 05:30:43 PM by Vosem »

Surely you wouldn't dispute that people who interact more socially are better at interacting socially (and are therefore less likely to go on these sorts of massacres?)? It seems to me like a study declaring water at room temperature and sea level pressure to be a liquid -- common knowledge which goes without saying.

The fact that 9 year-olds are allowed at a shooting range, let alone allowed to discharge a firearm is disgusting and embodies everything that is wrong with America's culture of violence and pseudo-machismo.

I personally didn't shoot at the age of 9 except with Nerf guns. But there were really cute pictures on the wall of children much younger than me shooting quite accurately (they're still there). One little girl signed her picture, with all the 'r's backwards and all caps, declaring 'AGE 6' under the name, which escapes me at the moment as I haven't been there since Winter Break or so.

'America's macho culture'? My parents are immigrants, bro, who came to America seeking opportunity (and found it).
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:10 PM »

Surely you wouldn't dispute that people who interact more socially are better at interacting socially (and are therefore less likely to go on these sorts of massacres?)? It seems to me like a study declaring water at room temperature and sea level pressure to be a liquid -- common knowledge which goes without saying.

I personally didn't shoot at the age of 9 except with Nerf guns. But there were really cute pictures on the wall of children much younger than me shooting quite accurately (they're still there).

Just because they are cute doesn't mean the should use a gun. Who cares that they are accurate. A 9 year-old isn't mature enough to wholly comprehend that a gun isn't a toy. A gun is a weapon and a dangerous tool and should be nowhere near a child.

Oh please...now you're going to argue that immigrants don't absorb elements of native culture in order to assimilate? My dad is an immigrant too, and he's changed profoundly (for the worse, I may add) since he moved to this country.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »

All the evidence and all the experts are on one side of the issue. Do you have anything to bring up for the other side?
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

All the evidence and all the experts are on one side of the issue. Do you have anything to bring up for the other side?

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Also provide a link.

...Even if playing as a child reduces the risk of being a sociopath, why would you want to encourage violence in your kids by allowing violent play?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »

I personally didn't shoot at the age of 9 except with Nerf guns. But there were really cute pictures on the wall of children much younger than me shooting quite accurately (they're still there).

Just because they are cute doesn't mean the should use a gun. Who cares that they are accurate. A 9 year-old isn't mature enough to wholly comprehend that a gun isn't a toy. A gun is a weapon and a dangerous tool and should be nowhere near a child.

Am I not allowed to use adjectives so that you can picture it better in your head? Otherwise, prose becomes scribbling. In any case, I don't see what's wrong with teaching children safe ways to handle guns and correct ways to use them so that they can do it better when they are older.

Oh please...now you're going to argue that immigrants don't absorb elements of native culture in order to assimilate? My dad is an immigrant too, and he's changed profoundly (for the worse, I may add) since he moved to this country.

Oh, of course they do, but I'm confident this is a left-over trait from the old country. Where my father went to public school, gun training was a mandatory part of the 8th grade curriculum (which is not something I'm encouraging, as I think in the interests of religious freedom for Quakers and the like this isn't something that should be taught at a public school), and gun ownership was a very entrenched part of the culture.

Of course he doesn't, this is Obamanation. He'll just echo whatever Lief says, feign outrage over something, and continue on his merry way. Facts are biased.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Also provide a link.

...Even if playing as a child reduces the risk of being a sociopath, why would you want to encourage violence in your kids by allowing violent play?

Because allowing violent play leads to less violence, is why. That's the point.

http://www.nifplay.org/whitman.html
http://www.lucydanielscenter.org/page/are-toy-guns-ever-ok
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/toy-guns-do-they-lead-real-life-violence
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies