As America is getting more diverse, GOP pollsters are adjusting to the new norm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:08:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  As America is getting more diverse, GOP pollsters are adjusting to the new norm
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: As America is getting more diverse, GOP pollsters are adjusting to the new norm  (Read 1348 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:24:42 AM »

GOP looks for answers on polling

By ALEXANDER BURNS | 3/10/13 6:37 AM EDT

The campaign arm of the congressional GOP is moving to reboot its polling operation after a messy 2012 cycle, the first concrete remedy taken by the Republican side since candidates and outside groups were left stunned on Election Day by results that their internal data never came close to predicting.

The National Republican Congressional Committee is the first GOP entity to take specific steps to try to rectify the party’s widely acknowledged polling debacle. Republican strategists confirmed after the end of the 2012 race that a huge slice of their survey data was based on flawed assumptions, and failed to anticipate the diversity and scale of turnout on the Democratic side.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/gop-embarks-on-polling-reboot-88641.html
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:33:03 AM »

Hate to see them becoming more sensible.  The idea that Romney and his supporters expected to win is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in politics, and their disappointment was wonderful.

Presumably the purpose of this more accurate polling will be to make disenfranchisement efforts more effective.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »

Presumably the purpose of this more accurate polling will be to make disenfranchisement efforts more effective.

cynical much?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »

cynical much?

In the interest of accuracy there's no other way to be.  The Jaundiced Eye my friend, always beats the Rose Coloured Glasses.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »

Hate to see them becoming more sensible.  The idea that Romney and his supporters expected to win is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in politics, and their disappointment was wonderful.

I love you, opebo.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »

I have my doubts. The Republican Party has a tenuous relationship with reality.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

If they become more sensible they will come to recognize the failure of extreme positions. If they don't, then the Republican Party eventually becomes little more than the default for people who simply dissent with the incumbent Democrat or hold minority positions.

Disenfranchisement does not happen until the GOP gets all three branches of the Federal government and the majority of State Houses and governorships. Then they might put discriminatory clauses in electoral qualifications such as requirements that people own property or have at least five years' residency at the same place. Or they might establish 'classes' of electors, with some people being allowed to vote but whose votes are somehow rendered invalid. Or they might allow employers to direct how their employees vote.

The Republican Party cannot now win a majority nationwide with the agenda that it now has without some shenanigans.  Such include denying the vote or -- worse --  taking away meaningful choice by a voter. Remember -- even North Korea and Zimbabwe have the right to vote, but obviously voters have no meaningful choice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »

No! Stay that way! I like to see the democrats overperform polling at every election night!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »

Disenfranchisement does not happen until the GOP gets all three branches of the Federal government and the majority of State Houses and governorships. Then they might put discriminatory clauses in electoral qualifications such as requirements that people own property or have at least five years' residency at the same place. Or they might establish 'classes' of electors, with some people being allowed to vote but whose votes are somehow rendered invalid. Or they might allow employers to direct how their employees vote.
Seriously?
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »

Seriously?

Why wouldn't he be? That's how the GOP thinks...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

Seriously?

The GOP is much more ruthless than it used to be. I am looking at methods used by authoritarian regimes, Communist and fascist alike. A ruthless political Party tries to change the rules of politics to fit whatever advantage it can get.

I wish that such were not so.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »

I'm no fan of the GOP, but that seems as ridiculous to me as Truthers.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »

Seriously?

Why wouldn't he be? That's how the GOP thinks...

They might think like that, but someone has to have a delusion with reality if they think it's possible for any political party to turn voting rights back to the 1830's.
I mean, it's literally more ridiculous than saying the Republicans want to bring slavery back.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »

Quoted for truth.

Why bother with such measures when the Democratic Party has become the Republican Party Lite?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »

Why bother with such measures when the Democratic Party has become the Republican Party Lite?

To cement the deception that it hasn't, obviously.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »

Not that it would change anything, but for the record, I meant Birthers, not Truthers.  Truthers are taking an extra couple of steps in the crazy direction.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies