NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:25:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned  (Read 6813 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »

NY Supreme Court Justice Milton Tingling overturned it, calling it 'arbitrary and capricious'. I assume Bloomberg will be appealing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »

Disgusting decision from an activist judge.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »

A victory in the war on stupid.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »

I hope Bloomberg doesn't comply. It's a shame no executives ever go full-on Jackson on the fascists in black robes.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

I hope Bloomberg doesn't comply. It's a shame no executives ever go full-on Jackson on the fascists in black robes.

Fascism=not allowing the government to control things like the size of my soft drink? Huh
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »

Fascism=not allowing the government to control things? Huh

Letting corporations control the government, as they are doing here by using the judiciary to overturn sensible regulations on soda serving sizes.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »

Awesome decision from a normally activist liberal judge
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »

Letting corporations control the government, as they are doing here by using the judiciary to overturn sensible regulations on soda serving sizes.

Overturning draconian regulations on how much soda I'm allowed to drink. That's not corporations wielding massive influence, it's the rare emergence of some amount of sense in government.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »

Overturning draconian regulations on how much soda I'm allowed to drink. That's not corporations wielding massive influence, it's the rare emergence of some amount of sense in government.

There are no regulations on how much soda you're allowed to drink.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »

Your hyperbole shames me as a leftist. Regulating diets and serving sizes is not government function - it's a function of personal responsibility. Furthermore, do you have any idea how many lives lost to fascist dictators you've just devalued?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »

A decision that makes sense. Bloomberg's actions are stupid and useless.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »

There are regulations on cup size, which is just as ridiculous.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »

It's a good idea.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »

It's a good idea.

Care to explain why?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »

Reading the opinion, it seems like the judge properly applied the Boreali precedent. I don't know about the judge and whether he tends to be activist, but this was a straightforward application of the precedent. I don't see how this ruling would easily get overturned.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »

Why is it ridiculous? Obesity is a huge public health problem that is only getting worse, people are still allowed to drink as much soda as they want, and the regulation makes use of the "default bias" to ensure that people will drink less calorie-rich soda.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »

Why is it ridiculous? Obesity is a huge public health problem that is only getting worse, people are still allowed to drink as much soda as they want, and the regulation makes use of the "default bias" to ensure that people will drink less calorie-rich soda.

Then why don't we focus less on allowing the government to control everything, right down to diet, and more on instilling worthwhile values in people, like health-consciousness and self-control, so our future generations aren't as terrible as the current one?
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »

Your hyperbole shames me as a leftist. Regulating diets and serving sizes is not government function - it's a function of personal responsibility. Furthermore, do you have any idea how many lives lost to fascist dictators you've just devalued?

I'm not saying they are being fascists here IN PARTICULAR, I'm saying the judiciary in this country is fascist IN GENERAL, because what they says is always the last word: which should be bullsh*t.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »

Then why don't we focus less on allowing the government to control everything, right down to diet, and more on instilling worthwhile values in people, like health-consciousness and self-control, so our future generations aren't as terrible as the current one?

That doesn't seem to be working well in America.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »

good the government shouldn't limit soda cup size, but the government should stop subsidizing high fructose corn syrup.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »

good the government shouldn't limit soda cup size, but the government should stop subsidizing high fructose corn syrup.

Best amount of damn sense I've heard so far in this thread.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »

Sure now....if only every Southern governor went "full-on Jackson" when the "fascists in black robes" ended segregation in the 50s and 60s... You can't demonize an institution when it produces a result you do not like

As for the law- I find it silly... this is a matter of personal responsibility. I also happen to know that many people find larger drinks to be mighty fine value as opposed to having to purchase two mediums for example
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »

Disgusting decision from an activist judge.

The mayor's administration does not have the power to legislate whatever arbitrary thing they like. It's not judicial activism to respect the balance of power.  If the City Council wants to put the same restrictions on certain types of businesses selling certain types of sugary drinks, they can go ahead.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »

Yes, we should just stop subsidizing corn. It props up agribusiness and is essentially a subsidy on obesity.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »

Because that doesn't work, at least not as well as simply making the default size smaller and eliminating a few hundred calories from people's diets without them noticing the difference.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies