Report: Senators Agree To Include Pathway To Citizenship In Immigration Reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:00:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Report: Senators Agree To Include Pathway To Citizenship In Immigration Reform
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Report: Senators Agree To Include Pathway To Citizenship In Immigration Reform  (Read 2251 times)
seanNJ9
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-immigration-hurdles-20130311,0,4603683.story
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »

Hopefully they got rid of the trigger of waiting until the 'border is secure' and letting a panel including the likes of Rick Perry and Jan Brewer decide when that is. That wasn't dumbest idea I ever heard
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »

You missed the most important part of the article:
"Still undecided is how long illegal immigrants would need to wait before they could apply for permanent resident status and eventually become citizens. The delay for a green card probably would be 10 years or longer, the aides said."

This "path to citizenship" is a legal farce. No undocumented person born will ever become a citizen this way.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

No medicaid for registered undocumented aliens is both despicable morally and a horrible policy idea.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »

No medicaid for registered undocumented aliens is both despicable morally and a horrible policy idea.

Yeah, that's disgusting. You're here illegally, so it's OK to let you starve or die from illness!
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »

Good news.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »

Yeah, that's disgusting. You're here illegally, so it's OK to let you starve or die from illness!

Remember, we must encourage personal responsibility.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2013, 07:16:50 PM by memphis »

Remember, we must encourage personal responsibility.
You'll die from chronic conditions like diabetes. But you'll still get to jack up the cost of healthcare for everybody when you're forced to go to the ER for acute conditions. Everybody wins!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »

That it! It is time to kill this garbage just like 2007. Just like before, this is all about politics and not what the best policy is. A bunch of a Democrats who see everyting to gain from going as far left as a possible, and a bunch of a scared to hell Republicans too afraid to not follow them over the cliff.

Hopefully they got rid of the trigger of waiting until the 'border is secure' and letting a panel including the likes of Rick Perry and Jan Brewer decide when that is. That wasn't dumbest idea I ever heard

Possibly the only way I would ever consider supporting this trash is if it did include a trigger along the lines of what Rand Paul proposed that required congressional votes every year in stages.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »

That it! It is time to kill this garbage just like 2007. Just like before, this is all about politics and not what the best policy is.

The best policy is to have a permanent hidden underclass with no hope of bettering themselves?

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:25 PM »

That it! It is time to kill this garbage just like 2007. Just like before, this is all about politics and not what the best policy is.

The best policy is to have a permanent hidden underclass with no hope of bettering themselves?

You pass another amnesty without proper disincentives going forward and that is eactly what you will have.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »

That it! It is time to kill this garbage just like 2007. Just like before, this is all about politics and not what the best policy is. A bunch of a Democrats who see everyting to gain from going as far left as a possible, and a bunch of a scared to hell Republicans too afraid to not follow them over the cliff.

Possibly the only way I would ever consider supporting this trash is if it did include a trigger along the lines of what Rand Paul proposed that required congressional votes every year in stages.

I'm not a fan of much of this either, but I fail to see what is left-wing, left alone "far left" about this proposal at all. It seems like the worst "pathway to citizenship" possible.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »

I'm not a fan of much of this either, but I fail to see what is left-wing, left alone "far left" about this proposal at all. It seems like the worst "pathway to citizenship" possible.

I was referring to a statement made on Meet the Press I think that basically said "Only a Path to Citizenship can pass the Senate". If that is the case in can only be the result of this whole debate being shifted because of what I described above.

I can sympathize, but Marokai, this is how it always is. Back in 2007 it was the same game plan, buy off a certain Senator with a ridiculous provision onyl to lose him anyway, plus two more votes because of the provision being added.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »

Another squib from the article:

As per usual, the devil is in the details. This is a long way from a done deal - a looooong way.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »

You pass another amnesty without proper disincentives going forward and that is eactly what you will have.
We must retain our permanent hidden underclass in order to prevent a future hidden underclass? Ok Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »

We must retain our permanent hidden underclass in order to prevent a future hidden underclass? Ok Roll Eyes

No, it's that an amnesty a la 1986 will not eliminate that underclass, only cause it to be replaced by a new group of illegal aliens.

While some degree of amnesty should probably be included as part of an immigration reform package, it's the dessert whereas the actual reforms are the meal.  The actual reform package needed is some combination of increased permanent immigration quotas, a useable guest worker program for seasonal labor that isn't so expensive to farmers that they would much rather employ much cheaper illegals, and last but not least, far more intense prosecution of those who employ illegals.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »

Why bother even having a discussion. Condenscension, presumption of stupidity, it is impossible so why bother. Roll Eyes
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »

Without proper border control, you just keep topping up underclasses with newer illegals.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »

Without proper border control, you just keep topping up underclasses with newer illegals.

Many illegals already come here legally, but don't go home.  All "proper border control" does is alter the mix of who comes here and how they get here while giving Mexico's drug gangs an extra source of revenue.

Like amnesty, border control is a secondary issue when it comes to immigration reform.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »

Even if the Senate reaches a deal (which is unlikely), the chances the House will go along with it is next to none anyway.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »

No, it's that an amnesty a la 1986 will not eliminate that underclass, only cause it to be replaced by a new group of illegal aliens.

While some degree of amnesty should probably be included as part of an immigration reform package, it's the dessert whereas the actual reforms are the meal.  The actual reform package needed is some combination of increased permanent immigration quotas, a useable guest worker program for seasonal labor that isn't so expensive to farmers that they would much rather employ much cheaper illegals, and last but not least, far more intense prosecution of those who employ illegals.
Agreed 100%.  I'm NOT against bringing in more people if we need them.  I'm NOT against letting those that have been here for a long ass time without getting in trouble stay here.  But the hoops laid out above here need to be jumped through before I would consider backing any new amnesty deal.  Punish the people that hire illegals and let more people in the right way if we need them.  I think we should secure the border too, but acknowledge the issues with that as you said in your last post.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »

Another squib from the article:

As per usual, the devil is in the details. This is a long way from a done deal - a looooong way.

Wasn't Dubya the one who pushed this?  I don't recall the details of how long of a wait his plan had.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »

If the concern with illegal immigration is more of the "dey tuk der derbs" variety, wouldn't E-verify, and proper enforcement of it, solve a lot of problems? I also think allowing a lot more legal immigration (not just guest workers, we need to make a choice whether we want cheap food grown in the United States) for farm workers should be allowed, since America is in a huge need of such workers. On the other hand, you can clamp down on illegals working in construction or flipping burgers since Americans are more willing to work those jobs.

I think more strategic fencing would be great, along with more drones patrolling the border perhaps. In terms of Visa fraud, if we enforce E-verify, that problem would solve itself as well.  Institute a DREAM act so children can become citizens sooner, and enforce a long probationary period so the Republicans are satisfied that they are really, really assimilated before they start voting. Also, I would allow more streamlining of H1B visas so we can get more younger, well paid immigrants who can help with the coming entitlement spending.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies