NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:44:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned  (Read 6843 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: March 11, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »

I hope Bloomberg doesn't comply. It's a shame no executives ever go full-on Jackson on the fascists in black robes.

Fascism=not allowing the government to control things? Huh

Letting corporations control the government, as they are doing here by using the judiciary to overturn sensible regulations on soda serving sizes.

Overturning draconian regulations on how much soda I'm allowed to drink. That's not corporations wielding massive influence, it's the rare emergence of some amount of sense in government.

There are no regulations on how much soda you're allowed to drink.

There are regulations on cup size, which is just as ridiculous.

It's a good idea.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »

I hope Bloomberg doesn't comply. It's a shame no executives ever go full-on Jackson on the fascists in black robes.

Fascism=not allowing the government to control things? Huh

Letting corporations control the government, as they are doing here by using the judiciary to overturn sensible regulations on soda serving sizes.

Overturning draconian regulations on how much soda I'm allowed to drink. That's not corporations wielding massive influence, it's the rare emergence of some amount of sense in government.

There are no regulations on how much soda you're allowed to drink.

There are regulations on cup size, which is just as ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? Obesity is a huge public health problem that is only getting worse, people are still allowed to drink as much soda as they want, and the regulation makes use of the "default bias" to ensure that people will drink less calorie-rich soda.

Then why don't we focus less on allowing the government to control everything, right down to diet, and more on instilling worthwhile values in people, like health-consciousness and self-control, so our future generations aren't as terrible as the current one?

That doesn't seem to be working well in America.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies