Graham (R-SC) may be primaried by actual gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:01:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Graham (R-SC) may be primaried by actual gay
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Graham (R-SC) may be primaried by actual gay  (Read 3119 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »

GOProud co-founder Bruce Carroll is considering a run against Graham.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »

Oh, that would be spectacular. Cheesy
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »

Oh my god, south carolina might have two democrats elected to the senate in 2014.  They'd vote against a black, and a gay, if graham would lose to this guy.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »

GOProud is a thoroughly terrible organization, but I would be delighted to see this happen.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:33:17 PM »

This Carroll sounds like a fantastic person from what I've seen about him so far, but I'd really prefer he primary one of the useless House people or Scott -- Lindsey Graham has been a fantastic Senator so far and I'd much rather he stay. It's a shame Tisei didn't win in 2012 -- gay Republicans are quite underrepresented in Congress. At least we have Cantor.

So, basically just the exact opposite of what Marokai said Smiley
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »

This Carroll sounds like a fantastic person from what I've seen about him so far, but I'd really prefer he primary one of the useless House people or Scott -- Lindsey Graham has been a fantastic Senator so far and I'd much rather he stay. It's a shame Tisei didn't win in 2012 -- gay Republicans are quite underrepresented in Congress. At least we have Cantor.

I've never heard any insinuations about Eric Cantor.

Regardless, you still have David Dreier, Aaron Schock, possibly Adrian Smith.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »

Ah, that came off unfortunately. We is Republican Jews, which, like Republican gays, are about 1/3 of the community but nevertheless frequently forgotten.

There are no openly gay Republican Congresspeople. And even if Dreier is closeted, he retired in 2012.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »

This could be very problematic for Graham if someone else emerges, as then the gay-friendly vote (which isn't large to begin with in SC) would be fractured.

2 gay candidates in a GOP primary...that would be just too much to handle for South Carolinians!!! Tongue Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »

I don't care if it's someone to the right of Michele Bachmann, just please someone get rid of that useless attention whore. After all that Benghazi attention whoring with his useless pal McCain he's now out whining about the sequester...specifically BECAUSE of the defense cuts and not because of anything cut that's actually useful. That joke needs to go.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »

I don't care if it's someone to the right of Michele Bachmann, just please someone get rid of that useless attention whore. After all that Benghazi attention whoring with his useless pal McCain he's now out whining about the sequester...specifically BECAUSE of the defense cuts and not because of anything cut that's actually useful. That joke needs to go.
You continue to amaze me...

You may disagree with their views- but McCain and Graham are two of the finest Senators. They are willing to cut deals and- at least to me- seem to always shoot from the hip. They are incredibly active in every major national security issue that arises on Capitol Hill and I believe that describing the as "useless" undermines your credility
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »

This. For once, I completely agree with BRTD.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »

Graham is in more danger of being primaried from the right than from the center, though as Tmth points out Carroll could undercut Graham's centrist support. But then again if it turns into a bloody primary between Graham and a Tea Party type, Carroll will likely be a forgotten also-ran.

Despite him being a "RINO" to some, I've always liked Lindsey Graham. The Republicans in the Senate would be short one of their best without him.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »

You continue to amaze me...

You may disagree with their views- but McCain and Graham are two of the finest Senators. They are willing to cut deals and- at least to me- seem to always shoot from the hip. They are incredibly active in every major national security issue that arises on Capitol Hill and I believe that describing the as "useless" undermines your credility

Useless? No. Hypocritical? Yes. I have some sympathy for Rand and Johnson and even Ayotte for their actions on Benghazi. They might actually be there, and they can have some benefit of the doubt. I don't have any sympathy for McCain and Graham. There's the fact that there were 11 attacks on our embassies during the Bush administration, and 52 people died in those. But where were they when embassy attacks happened under a Republican? Where were the tours around national news outlets? Where were they filibustering Condoleezza's nomination for "poor security"? Where were they speaking out against Rumsfeld and Bush?

Graham has allowed himself to be reduced from a bipartisan Senate voice to exploiting the deaths of four Americans for political gain. That's why I support a primary effort.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »

Graham is in more danger of being primaried from the right than from the center, though as Tmth points out Carroll could undercut Graham's centrist support. But then again if it turns into a bloody primary between Graham and a Tea Party type, Carroll will likely be a forgotten also-ran.

I think Carroll is hoping to be the tea party candidate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »

GOProud is a thoroughly terrible organization, but I would be delighted to see this happen.

The end of DADT was facilitated a lot more quickly thanks to them, you know.  People often forget that.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »

I dunno, Margaret Hoover has her moments.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 09:15:17 AM »

Ah, that came off unfortunately. We is Republican Jews, which, like Republican gays, are about 1/3 of the community but nevertheless frequently forgotten.

There are no openly gay Republican Congresspeople. And even if Dreier is closeted, he retired in 2012.

Jews are nowhere near 1/3 of the Republican community. Neither are gays, obviously.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »

Jews are nowhere near 1/3 of the Republican community. Neither are gays, obviously.

I think he meant Republicans are 1/3 of the Jewish community.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »

I think he meant Republicans are 1/3 of the Jewish community.

This. Republicans are also about 1/3 (a little less) of the gay community. But both of these facts are forgotten very frequently and people just assume gays and Jews vote like African-Americans.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »

1/3 is being very generous. In addition to the Democratic majorities, lots of people are indies. At most 1/5 of Jews and gays are Republicans.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:07:27 AM »

Exit polls show that only about 25% of Jews and gays vote Republican. Also in the case of Jews consider that 25% also includes a contingent of cult communities that voted unanimously Republican...which means the percentage of Republicans is even smaller amongst normal Jews.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »

Many conservatives in South Carolina who view Graham as a RINO may now support him if the only alternative is gay.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »

Well, there is a reason that gay Republicans wear hypothetical paper bags over their heads, n'est-ce-pas?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »

Many conservatives in South Carolina who view Graham as a RINO may now support him if the only alternative is gay.

Doesn't really matter.  Graham was already polling favorable approval ratings from probably GOP primary voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies