NM Hispanics: Pre-New Deal.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:50:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  NM Hispanics: Pre-New Deal.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NM Hispanics: Pre-New Deal.  (Read 723 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »
« edited: March 11, 2013, 09:15:15 PM by TDAS04 »

I've read that the old-stock Hispanic population of of Northern New Mexico became heavily Democratic in the 1930s.  It's hard to find information about them before then.

It appears that they were mostly Republican.  In the elections of 1912-1924, the counties in Northern NM where these Hispanics have lived for a few centuries supported the Republican presidential nominee;  the more Anglo-Saxon counties of "Little Texas" in the Southeast voted for the Democratic candidate.

Why was this?  My only guess is that they were rivals with the mostly Democratic Texans.  It is interesting that NM appears to have been an unusual state politically at the time; it had mostly-Democratic WASPS and majority-Republican Catholic ethnics.  A reverse Massachusetts.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »

Were the NM Hispanics Unionists during the Civil War? If so, that would explain a lot. For decades virtually the only Republican areas in Texas were the German-settled Hill Country Counties, which had been Unionist strongholds during the Civil War.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »

Were the NM Hispanics Unionists during the Civil War? If so, that would explain a lot. For decades virtually the only Republican areas in Texas were the German-settled Hill Country Counties, which had been Unionist strongholds during the Civil War.

Which interestingly enough, were heavily Catholic.

If I had to guess it might have to do with simply being a disadvantaged minority in a state dominated by majority WASP politics.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »

I've read that the old-stock Hispanic population of of Northern New Mexico became heavily Democratic in the 1930s.  It's hard to find information about them before then.

It appears that they were mostly Republican.  In the elections of 1912-1924, the counties in Northern NM where these Hispanics have lived for a few centuries supported the Republican presidential nominee;  the more Anglo-Saxon counties of "Little Texas" in the Southeast voted for the Democratic candidate.

Why was this?  My only guess is that they were rivals with the mostly Democratic Texans.  It is interesting that NM appears to have been an unusual state politically at the time; it had mostly-Democratic WASPS and majority-Republican Catholic ethnics.  A reverse Massachusetts.

It was probably because the Hispanic Catholics had similar experiences with white westerners as white Catholics had with WASP New Englanders.  Manifest Destiny, after all, is reverse nativism (kicking people out of their own lands and taking it).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies