WI: Ron Johnson running for reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:28:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI: Ron Johnson running for reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WI: Ron Johnson running for reelection  (Read 2738 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
« edited: March 12, 2013, 01:50:14 PM by MilesC56 »

Its hard enough to gauge the 2014 elections this far out, let alone 2016, but Ron Johnson will be going for reelection. There had been speculation that he'd only serve one term because of the term-limits and such stuff the tea party supports.

He's already begun to fundraise, likely in anticipation for a tougher year with Presidential turnout.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:57:42 PM »

Good. It will be awesome to see him get crushed.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »

Good. It will be awesome to see him get crushed.

Please don't speak too loudly. The last time the left got prematurely overconfident, 2010 happened. Sad
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »

I'd say Johnson's probably the most vulnerable incumbent right now.*

*Okay, okay.  Kirk is.  But I can't wait to see this clown get knocked out on his ass.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

Great news!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »

*Okay, okay.  Kirk is.  But I can't wait to see this clown get knocked out on his ass.

Agreed. Kirk is more vulnerable but he actually seems like a decent guy. Johnson and Toomey are practically the faces of the Tea Party Wave, and getting then out will send a message.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »

Agreed. Kirk is more vulnerable but he actually seems like a decent guy. Johnson and Toomey are practically the faces of the Tea Party Wave, and getting then out will send a message.
Toomey isn't that bad as far as Tea Partiers go. He seems like somebody who actually gets crap done without going on TV and acting crazy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »

In wisc, johnson likely def in prez yr.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:59 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 10:00:56 PM by Vosem »

Let's keep in mind that Johnson ran a very well-managed, very well-funded campaign in 2010; that the Wisconsin Democratic bench is at a low ebb; and that he's already fundraising 3 years early. If you think Johnson will go down without a real fight, you're quite mistaken.

Obamanation
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »

Let's keep in mind that Johnson ran a very well-managed, very well-funded campaign in 2010; that he ran ahead of Scott Walker; that the Wisconsin Democratic bench is at a low ebb; and that he's already fundraising 3 years early. If you think Johnson will go down without a real fight, you're quite mistaken.

Except 2010 was the best Republican year in living memory and 2016 certainly won't be, not with Presidential turnout. Especially since Ron Johnson is to the right of Tim Scott.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »

Let's keep in mind that Johnson ran a very well-managed, very well-funded campaign in 2010; that he ran ahead of Scott Walker; that the Wisconsin Democratic bench is at a low ebb; and that he's already fundraising 3 years early. If you think Johnson will go down without a real fight, you're quite mistaken.

Except 2010 was the best Republican year in living memory and 2016 certainly won't be, not with Presidential turnout. Especially since Ron Johnson is to the right of Tim Scott.

Sure, turnout will be worse. But the Democratic candidate will almost certainly be weaker than Feingold, and Johnson will probably be even better-funded than he was in 2010, if he's starting this early. And Johnson is a proven campaigner and understands the threat. I'm not saying Democrats will can't beat Johnson, just that there are distinct disadvantages they have in an election against Johnson and it can't be treated like a gimme, because it will be a legitimately competitive race (without a wave one way or the other, that is).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »

Toomey isn't that bad as far as Tea Partiers go. He seems like somebody who actually gets crap done without going on TV and acting crazy.

He is a very professional operator and has proven his ability to move to the center, like he began to do back in 2009 when it became clear it was going to be him as the nominee. He endorsed Sotomeyer and starting talking about welcoming pro-choice Republicans into the tent. He also doesn't get himself in trouble like Santorum liked to do and has some really good numbers the last I checked. He'll also be well funded. Don't expect him to be a pushover in 2016.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:14:01 PM »

Ron Kind would be a formidable challenger and after passing on 2012, I think he'll run in 2016. Johnson will be near the top of the Democratic list for pickups, because it is a very good opportunity.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »

It's kind of stupid to point to a "weak bench" almost 4 years out.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »

Ron Kind would be a formidable challenger and after passing on 2012, I think he'll run in 2016. Johnson will be near the top of the Democratic list for pickups, because it is a very good opportunity.

Ron Kind would be the best candidate outside of Feingold to retake the seat. He is very popular in his district in Western Wisconsin and he could get those last few % points in that region that is needed for Dems to win the state. I could see the map looking something like this:

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:03 AM »

Ron Johnson is perhaps the most useless senator. I'm pretty sure Wisconsinites are kicking themselves in the butt for replacing Feingold with this douchebag (much like our own Franzl does with Kirk).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:04 AM »

The lie about serving in iraq instead of telling the truth about the reserves stateside will come back again w kirk.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 06:28:41 AM »

No he didn't. Walker won 52.29 to 46.52. Johnson won 51.86 to 47.02. Walker ran ahead by .93% of the vote. And yes, Johnson was able to run to the center last time, but he has a record now. It won't work on Wisconsinites this time in an election year.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »

Sounds a lot like Scott Brown...
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »

Glorious. Now Ron Kind can win a Senate seat and beat a TP douchebag while at it!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

I'd be cool if Baldwin can run for this seat too, and hold both Senate seats.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »

what
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »

I wish. Hopefully Feingold runs again, and if not him then Kind.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

Sounds a lot like Scott Brown...

Scott Brown at least pretended to be a moderate.  Johnson is basically Rick Santorum 2.0 without the occasional economic populism.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »

No he didn't. Walker won 52.29 to 46.52. Johnson won 51.86 to 47.02. Walker ran ahead by .93% of the vote. And yes, Johnson was able to run to the center last time, but he has a record now. It won't work on Wisconsinites this time in an election year.

Whoops, you're right. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies