Paul Ryan: "We are not going to give up on destroying the healthcare system"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:38:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Paul Ryan: "We are not going to give up on destroying the healthcare system"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Paul Ryan: "We are not going to give up on destroying the healthcare system"  (Read 1786 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dorsey/paul-ryan-accidentally-says-he-is-destroying-the-health-care

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Can't he stick to non-controversial topics that won't offend people, like rape?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »

Obviously, he meant "Obamacare."  Hey, I'll take a Bismarck system over Obamacare any day, and there are obviously a lot of flaws in ACA.  But just as a basic political calculus question, don't the Pubbies need to wait till at least 2017 to dismantle the law?  It survived a SCOTUS decision and a national election, and it isn't going to be taken down by empty waves in the House.  This is the only issue that can keep the base fired up?  It's going to give them any leverage at all in budget negotiations?  No on both counts.  What's the point?
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

We know, Ryan. We know.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:59:53 AM »

Why do people continue to believe that one person should live and another should die from common, treatable conditions based on the size of their banking account?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:16:26 AM »

So, is this what passes for wonkery in today's Republican party?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »

i bet paul ryan has a tiny dick
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:34:27 AM »

Like a bean
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »

At least he's honest about it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:26:10 AM »

Why do people continue to believe that one person should live and another should die from common, treatable conditions based on the size of their banking account?

Survival of the fittest.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »

Honestly, I don't blame them for doing everything in their power to defund it and ruin Obamacare now, because once it starts for real, the Republicans are done. I can't wait for Democratic candidates run advertisements on loop of every single Republican that opposed Obamacare and tried to repeal it with statements like Ryan's.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »

Because they're libertarians and believe in "liberty".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »

Survival of the fittest.

Yes, "fitness"=how much money you have.

Because rich people are clearly better people than poor people. Obviously, being poor is a crime that should be punished severely.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »

There's a huge difference between "Should someone help?" and "Should the state help?"
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »

There's a huge difference between "Should someone help?" and "Should the state help?"

Due to their massive bargaining power, the state is the only entity capable of helping in any real manner.  For healthcare, as with a select group of other needs (such as national defense, infrastructure, and protection of natural resources), your question is irrelevant because it is a distinction without a difference.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »

Wow that was horrific. To my party: please, please, just stop trying to destroy Obamacare. You don't have enough support to override Obama's veto. Try to actually get some real work done, to help us all, instead of trying to repeal this. And by the way Ryan, are you trying to scare people? Is that your goal?
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »

I don't know. Why do people continue to believe that one person should live and another die from common, treatable conditions because they ended up on the wrong end of a waiting list, weren't pals with the surgeon, or were considered "expendable" by the state?

As I recall, in the US the emergency rooms are required to take people in regardless of whether they can pay or not, generally took people in for free occasionally even before that, and rarely had such problems, so "one lives and another dies" is more relevant to the other "progressive" systems. The real problem is that people go in for a surgery and come out with a hundred thousand dollar bill, and that's a whole different problem that won't be solved by making everyone pay third party.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »

I don't know. Why do people continue to believe that one person should live and another die from common, treatable conditions because they ended up on the wrong end of a waiting list, weren't pals with the surgeon, or were considered "expendable" by the state?

How in the world is this related to Obamacare?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »

Do you have any proof this happens in rich, developed countries with universal healthcare?
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 12:03:36 PM »

Do you have any proof this happens in rich, developed countries with universal healthcare?

What do you consider proof to be? Whatever the case, there is the infamous problems that have been cropping up in the UK. My own country's system has a lot of problems too, but I doubt I could find anything conclusive offhand.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »

What do you consider proof to be? Whatever the case, there is the infamous problems that have been cropping up in the UK. My own country's system has a lot of problems too, but I doubt I could find anything conclusive offhand.

You made an accusation that people are actually left to die in countries with national health care in the name of cost-cutting, and that it is decided by the state. That is a ludicrous accusation and it turns out that you have no proof and were just spouting off ideology masked as facts. While there have been cases of hip replacements and procedures for other non-life threatening conditions being delayed in these countries, that does not come even close to the accusation you made.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 12:42:38 PM »

Because killing the poor is the bedrock of our social system.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

It's a shame the people aren't afforded the same kind of fanatic support our fully government-backed corporations have managed to accrue.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »

You made an accusation that people are actually left to die in countries with national health care in the name of cost-cutting, and that it is decided by the state. That is a ludicrous accusation and it turns out that you have no proof and were just spouting off ideology masked as facts. While there have been cases of hip replacements and procedures for other non-life threatening conditions being delayed in these countries, that does not come even close to the accusation you made.

Don't bother reading the post or the sources or anything, please just argue right past me.
I have plenty more sources, if you want.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 01:08:39 PM »

The rationing identified in that report seems to be attributed to the £20 billion in cuts that have to be implemented by 2015.  This is a problem everywhere isn't it...growing demand + increasing costs + budget shortfalls = rationing mechanisms in health care markets.  That's not unique to one system.  But there are big differences in how the rationing is meted out among these systems.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 01:40:55 PM »

Don't bother reading the post or the sources or anything, please just argue right past me.
I have plenty more sources, if you want.

Do you even read your own links, or do you not understand the concept of procedures for non-life threatening conditions? Your previous links did not have any evidence that government actions led to anyone's death. As for the link provided in this post, I do not know whether the procedures are necessary or not. Very old people may still be recommended for procedures that may not lengthen their life by their GP, but may die within a few months due to other reasons. By imposing a waiting time, you can ensure that some of those patients die naturally before more costly procedures are done on someone who would die anyways. Of course, this is an assumption on my part. If they are doing this for life saving procedures, that is indeed wrong. They should adopt a tiered approach in that case. If you don't want to pay anything, you need to wait. Or you pay a portion of the costs and can get the procedure done sooner. In any case, you still have not provided robust evidence that the government is killing their citizens by not providing care they need to survive.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies