If Plato was alive today and a poster on Atlas....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:32:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If Plato was alive today and a poster on Atlas....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: would everyone hate him and lots want him banned?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: If Plato was alive today and a poster on Atlas....  (Read 7401 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:07:17 PM »

Absolutely. He was an unquestionable douchebag.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »

He would be banned as a Socrates sock.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »

He would be banned as a Socrates sock.

Thread winner.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:16:20 AM »

My college philosophy teacher decided to skip Plato as he thought he was very boring.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:22:47 AM »

My college philosophy teacher decided to skip Plato as he thought he was very boring.

Oh, wow.  Which philosophers did your teacher assign?

Plato would be hated on the election boards, as his longwinded posts, featuring dialogues between semi-fictional characters, would constantly dismiss the importance of electoral politics and try to steer the conversation toward justice.  He wouldn't be at all liked on the Religion and Philosophy board either, since he would always be asking who this Jesus was.  He'd constantly by trying to act like the King of the Forum Community board.  The mods would defend him, as he would never insult anyone, but he would be pretty widely vilified.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 06:53:58 AM »

Being a candidate for being banned on here is usually not a sign of douchebaggery - rather just the opposite, BRTD.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »

Plato would complain on the FC Socrates has been ignoring him on facebook.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »

One of mitty's FF/HP polls might yield interesting results.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

He was a pederast, of course.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »

There is 3 philosophy courses in college and that one was an introduction + Antiquity. He did a lenghy introduction on what is philosophy, what it's not, argumentation, sophisms, the different branches of philosophy and covered Socrates, Epicure, stoïcism and cynics.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »

I get the impression it'd be another case where Gustaf would vigorously defend him while everyone else piled on him and made posts about how much of a douchebag he was.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09:02 AM »

There is 3 philosophy courses in college and that one was an introduction + Antiquity. He did a lenghy introduction on what is philosophy, what it's not, argumentation, sophisms, the different branches of philosophy and covered Socrates, Epicure, stoïcism and cynics.
[/quote
How do you talk about that without dealing with Plato??
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:47:02 AM »

I get the impression it'd be another case where Gustaf would vigorously defend him while everyone else piled on him and made posts about how much of a douchebag he was.

Or Americans once again failed to detect sarcarm :>
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »

I thought Plato was already here under the screen name of "Alcon."  Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »

I don't think Gustaf's said defenses of CARLHAYDEN and J. J. were sarcastic.

I thought Plato was already here under the screen name of "Alcon."  Tongue

LOL no, just look at Alcon's display name. He's quite far from an elitist douchebag.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »

I don't think Gustaf's said defenses of CARLHAYDEN and J. J. were sarcastic.

I thought Plato was already here under the screen name of "Alcon."  Tongue

LOL no, just look at Alcon's display name. He's quite far from an elitist douchebag.

You are just bogged down in the hazarai BRTD. I find some of Alcon's philosophical riffs to be just about as challenging as Plato's.  Heck, sometimes I am compelled to put down my bong, and really concentrate to get through them. Heck, it's almost elder abuse. Smiley
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2013, 07:36:18 PM by The Head Beagle »

Plato would be hated on the election boards, as his longwinded posts, featuring dialogues between semi-fictional characters, would constantly dismiss the importance of electoral politics and try to steer the conversation toward justice.

GLAUCON: Isn't it good luck that we've run into you, Socrates, on our way to the Agora. We're in the middle of a seeming intractable dispute that you can help us with.
SOCRATES: What is your dispute about?
GLAUCON: It's about who will carry North Carolina in the 2012 American presidential election.
TENDERBRANSON: I say Barack Obama will probably win. The newest poll has him leading by 3 points.
UMENGUS: Everyone knows that's just junk. That poll has a sample 7 points more Democratic than the electorate of North Carolina in 2010.
TORIES: I wouldn't put it so strongly as Umengus, but another poll from Rasmussen does have Mitt Romney leading by 2 points. We just can't be sure at this point.
SOCRATES: So one poll says that Obama is leading, and another says that Romney is leading?
GLAUCON: That's right.
SOCRATES: Now, can it be that in the real election, both candidates are the winner?
GLAUCON: No, that couldn't be.
SOCRATES: So it must be that the polls do not capture the form of the election in its true nature, but only a changeable appearance of it?
GLAUCON: That must be right.
TENDERBRANSON: Your logic is clear, Socrates.
TORIES: That's how it is.
SOCRATES: So perhaps another approach would be better. Now, would we not say that if a man is to be a lover of wisdom and have harmony in his soul, the rational and philosophical part of his soul should be in command?
GLAUCON: Clearly.
SOCRATES: So should we not look to North Carolina's most rational and philosophical citizens?
TORIES: Well, North Carolina has a lot of high-income seculars, working as computer programmers in Raleigh or bankers in Charlotte, and these I think will trend hard to Romney. This is why I think Romney will carry North Carolina.
SOCRATES: Who are these "high-income seculars" of which you speak, Tories?
TORIES: They are people like me, who've made lots of money filing suit in the court of Argon and trading with the Persians, and who don't believe that there are any gods.
GLAUCON: Wait, what? Surely we all believe in the gods atop Mount Olympus.
TORIES: No, not me.
JMFCSTES: There is only one God. Currently He is only worshiped by the Jews, but four hundred years from now he will send his only son to redeem us all. For it will be written, in a few centuries: "yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."
BRTDES: No way I'd believe that. Maybe after a couple of thousand years their services will get more interesting, but for the first nineteen centuries or so it will be just a bunch of old men talking. Why would I go for that when I could go see the hot new Oracle of Delphi predict the future while waving her hands in the air?
NATHANES: I too believe that there is just one God, but the truly sophisticated position is to realize that the importance about religion lies not in the so-called objective truth-value of whatever metaphysical theses about the external world it might be interpreted as making, but rather in its providing structure and guidance to a personal spirituality that I recognize also is present with many adherents of Olympian polytheism.
GLAUCON: Now I'm totally lost.
SOCRATES: As am I. But luckily we don't need to settle these issues about Gods, as I see another problem with these "high-income seculars". Did you not say, Tories, that they were merchants, who had obtained a lot of money?
TORIES: I did.
SOCRATES: Now, would we say of a man who was ruled by the love of money that he was wise, or that he did not recognize what was truly valuable in life?
TORIES: The latter.
SOCRATES: So we should look instead to the philosophers. How do the philosophers of North Carolina vote?
TENDERBRANSON: I'm not really sure, but I think they live in a town called Chapel Hill, where they support Obama.
MEMPHES: Wait, what? In America philosophers live outside the big city? Crazy! They must be a lot smarter than our philosophers. All our philosophers want to live right in central Athens, even though a stone hut will cost you ten drachmas a month, just because they think it's the "cradle of Western civilization" or some crap like that.
SOCRATES: So the philosophers support one candidate, and the merchants another?
TENDERBRANSON: Yes.
SOCRATES: And didn't North Carolina vote for one party the previous time in 2008 but the other party in 2004?
TENDERBRANSON: Yes.
SOCRATES: Truly a state with a disordered soul. And is not Mitt Romney likewise the candidate with the most disordered soul, given that he claims to oppose all the more liberal things he said he supported as governor of Massachusetts.
TENDERBRANSON: Yes indeed, Socrates.
SOCRATES: And does it not follow that a state with a disordered soul will vote for a candidate with a disordered soul, so Mitt Romney will carry North Carolina?
GLAUCON: Your logic is clear, Socrates. Thank you so much for settling our dispute.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »

So, wait, BRTD's latest attack on me is that maybe I would have sided with one of the greatest minds of all time rather than a bunch of autistic teen nerds with a mob mentality, defending said mind's right to free expression?

...guilty as charged?

I think I'm going to give up on trying to understand the logic of BRTD. Did you read an internet meme bashing Plato or something?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2013, 09:13:52 AM by Parks And What You Meant To Me »

So, wait, BRTD's latest attack on me is that maybe I would have sided with one of the greatest minds of all time rather than a bunch of autistic teen nerds with a mob mentality, defending said mind's right to free expression?

...guilty as charged?

I think I'm going to give up on trying to understand the logic of BRTD. Did you read an internet meme bashing Plato or something?

It's more that you frequently defend unpopular and awful posters who are extremely hackish and quite narrow minded and thick skulled for seemingly no reason at all but to be contrarian.

My dislike of Plato stems from reading his stuff in one of my Ancient and Medieval Political Philosophy classes, where he came across an extreme elitist douchebag, and his ideal "Republic" was a terrifying ideal and a horrible form of government. Just about everyone in the class hated him.

Nice going with the wormyguy/Kyle Mercado style ad hominem in the first paragraph by the way ("LOLZ ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS AUTISTIC HA HA!" was a pretty common tactic of those two.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 09:30:51 AM »

...guilty as charged?

It's more that you frequently defend unpopular and awful posters who are extremely hackish and quite narrow minded and thick skulled for seemingly no reason at all but to be contrarian.

My dislike of Plato stems from reading his stuff in one of my Ancient and Medieval Political Philosophy classes, where he came across an extreme elitist douchebag, and his ideal "Republic" was a terrifying ideal and a horrible form of government. Just about everyone in the class hated him.

Nice going with the wormyguy/Kyle Mercado style ad hominem in the first paragraph by the way ("LOLZ ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS AUTISTIC HA HA!" was a pretty common tactic of those two.)

That it is seemingly for no reason might be because you're a thick-skulled hack who can't understand logical arguments or other people very well. Just as a theory.

Well, if everyone in your class hated him I guess it's time for you to revolutionize our understanding of philosophical history. You should teach classes on these insights.

Nice going with the guilt by association ad hominem. Tongue

It's not an ad hominem. You're obsessed with picking sides and who one agrees with. I'm pointing out that pretty much everyone on this board (including myself) is basically an idiot compared to Plato. So it's amusing that you think that just because there are so many idiots they must be more correct than someone who actually has brains. That mob mentality is what I was referring to and it's fallacious and scary.

You should consider reading a book every once in a while, instead of just watching Family Guy. Maybe you would start getting things.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »

Hey Linus, that was an awesome piece of writing!  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:37 AM »

Hey Linus, that was an awesome piece of writing!  Smiley

Indeed, and I am honored to be included. He acted out my schtick most impressively. The "latter" bit was a particularly elegant touch. Linus you are an artist. Smiley
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »

Aye - Linus, it's not often that a post makes me smile. I've got to save this one. Grin
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »

That post was truly epic indeed.

That mob mentality is what I was referring to and it's fallacious and scary.

Incidentally, mob mentality is something Plato emphatically warned about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies