BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:15:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina  (Read 10586 times)
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, he's already at least slightly better than his predecessor. That's something.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »

Stomach in knots. This may affect the rest of my life.
How so? He's just a creepy old man in a cape.

As disgusted as I am with this comment, memphis' provincial sentiment is sadly common. 

Still, this is really exciting.
How do you think this pope will "affect te rest of your life?"  He's not going to cure cancer or anything. I stand by my comments.

Harry identifies with the religious group of which this gentleman is the earthly leader, you see.
Obviously. However, it has yet to be explained how it will effect his life. Perhaps this new pope will innovate. Maybe he'll declare that one should say prayers while standing on one's head or whatever. And we'll have a few Mel Gibsons who refuse to do so. There's still no impact on real life.

Religious people's religious beliefs (and, especially, practices) are part of their real lives, you see.

Indeed, Pope John XXIII certainly affected plenty of Catholic lives.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »

A Latin American social justice-emphasizing theologically conservative Jesuit for Pope? I like the sound of that.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »

I'm ok with everything but the Jesuit part.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 03:15:01 PM by memphis »

As disgusted as I am with this comment, memphis' provincial sentiment is sadly common.  

How do you think this pope will "affect te rest of your life?"  He's not going to cure cancer or anything. I stand by my comments.

Harry identifies with the religious group of which this gentleman is the earthly leader, you see.
Obviously. However, it has yet to be explained how it will effect his life. Perhaps this new pope will innovate. Maybe he'll declare that one should say prayers while standing on one's head or whatever. And we'll have a few Mel Gibsons who refuse to do so. There's still no impact on real life.

Religious people's religious beliefs (and, especially, practices) are part of their real lives, you see.

By giving up the crown and having the priest turn around while saying the mass? Doesn't impress me much. If we could find a Pope who could effectively purge the child rapists, that would be something. Not be molested would be meaningful. I'll give you that one. I won't hold my breath on that though. He also seems to be a troll per wikipedia:

"He strongly opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to allow same-sex marriage, calling it a "real and dire anthropological throwback".[14] In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."[15] He has also insisted that adoption by gay and lesbian people is a form of discrimination against children."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »

He doesn't sound like the crazy Jesuit kind though. He's "doctrinally conservative."
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »

It appears that the news of the Bergoglio fellow being elected is a hoax. The most reliable news source on Earth has confirmed that Pope Insanity MXLV has been selected:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pope-insanity-mxlv-selected,31656/
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

This is a fairly entertaining read: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=19978542&postID=3269453367203812803
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »

He doesn't sound like the crazy Jesuit kind though. He's "doctrinally conservative."

Which I do like.

How do you think this pope will "affect te rest of your life?"  He's not going to cure cancer or anything. I stand by my comments.

By giving up the crown and having the priest turn around while saying the mass? Doesn't impress me much. If we could find a Pope who could effectively purge the child rapists, that would be something. Not be molested would be meaningful. I'll give you that one. I won't hold my breath on that though. He also seems to be a troll per wikipedia:

"He strongly opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to allow same-sex marriage, calling it a "real and dire anthropological throwback".[14] In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."[15] He has also insisted that adoption by gay and lesbian people is a form of discrimination against children."

Which I agree with Francis I on totally.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »

Which I do like.

How do you think this pope will "affect te rest of your life?"  He's not going to cure cancer or anything. I stand by my comments.

His Holiness is probably going to disappoint you, JCL, for very different reasons than why he's going to disappoint a bunch of other people.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »

How clever these cards are select a latin american conservative pope. Offering surface but not institutional change. In ten yrs a new one emerges.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »

Francis may offer institutional change insofar as he may reform some of the more flagrantly corrupt elements of the Vatican hierarchy, such as its staggeringly shady bank. But he won't offer the kind of institutional change the lack of which is part of what prevents me from being Catholic.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »

Respectfully, Matt, that's naive.  The Cardinals are not going to let someone rule the kingdom that long.  Too many others want a crack at the top job.  I'd be shocked if they elect one under 70 in my lifetime.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »

Which I do like.

His Holiness is probably going to disappoint you, JCL, for very different reasons than why he's going to disappoint a bunch of other people.

His criticism of free market economics does dissapoint me. Plus I'm not a big fan of Jesuits. I like his message of humility and compassion to the poor which are just as central to the Gospel as are the moral teachings. I do have good hopes regarding his pontificate. I do believe his run will be short.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »

What is the significance of Francis being Argentinian? The last time there was a non Italian Pope, it had quite an impact on his home country.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 04:10:24 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 04:12:24 PM by Nathan »

Free market economics is inherently un-Catholic, JCL, so I don't understand why that surprises you enough to be disappointing.

What is the significance of Francis being Argentinian? The last time there was a non Italian Pope, it had quite an impact on his home country.

Relations between Church and State in Argentina are, at present, unbelievably terrible. I'm not sure about Church and civil society.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »

It sounds like Francis will be the kind of Pope I wanted... one who focuses on social justice and social outreach, someone with energy and humor and warmth and humility. I like how he started his papacy with a joke and smile!

People expecting a 180 on social issues were going to be disappointed no matter what, though, none of the cardinals would have delivered that. And the Church needs to focus on more important reforms first, like with the Vatican Bank and Sex Abuse Scandals and VatiLeaks.

Though it seems he's ok with contraception when it's used by married couples to prevent spread of diseases. So I think that would be a slight softening.

And I also think it's possible to see married priests again, though not too soon.

He'll probably only be Pope for 10 years, and no one should expect him to fix everything, but I hope he improves a lot! Definitely seems energetic and youthful, even with his age.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »

It appears that the news of the Bergoglio fellow being elected is a hoax. The most reliable news source on Earth has confirmed that Pope Insanity MXLV has been selected:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pope-insanity-mxlv-selected,31656/

Sadly, that is a hoax as well.

I have exclusive footage of the real conclave results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGBHfXPqbgI
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »

Which I do like.

His criticism of free market economics does dissapoint me. Plus I'm not a big fan of Jesuits. I like his message of humility and compassion to the poor which are just as central to the Gospel as are the moral teachings. I do have good hopes regarding his pontificate. I do believe his run will be short.

That`s equivalent to the lefties who wouldn't be satsified unless a Pope publicly endorses SSM & infanticide. The Catholic Church hierarchy doesn't really exist on our political spectrum, so we non-Catholics just hope for who's relatively close to us.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »

I thought Hugo Chavez died. Why is he the new Pope?!? Tongue

In all seriousness, I wish the best to the new Pontiff, and hope he shall have a peaceful reign.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »

The first Pope not from Europe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »

Free market economics is inherently un-Catholic, JCL, so I don't understand why that surprises you enough to be disappointing.

Think we can extend that to Christianity in general, with the exception of some of the more openly bats American fundamentalist churches.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »

Think we can extend that to Christianity in general, with the exception of some of the more openly bats American fundamentalist churches.

I did originally type 'un-Christian', but then remembered JCL is a member of one of said churches.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »

He's an Italian who is from Argentina. His background is in some ways more traditional than either John Paul or Benedict. And yet, his positions are likely to further alienate Catholics in the developed world. They need Don Draper in the worst way.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »

Nope, there were African/Middle Eastern Popes way way back in the day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies