BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:43:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina  (Read 10612 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 13, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »

I'm kind of glad the HuffPost coverage is what it is. Those were the things I was wondering about, so now I know that there's nothing positive to look for in this...as expected.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »

Wow, that was rude...I'm right here. I didn't see whatever that was about the Argentine priests and don't particularly care. Things like contraception, abortion, and gay marriage are the chief issues I care about. There's not much in my life affected by the Pope, so the broad issues surrounding perpetuated bigotry at the cost of lives take precedence for me. Not all of us drink the Kool-Aid, so the bottom line is much appreciated.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »

Like I said, those were the relevant issues for those of us not involved in the nuances of intra-Catholic goings on. I didn't see that stuff about killing priests or whatever and I have no particular interest in going back and looking at it because I don't care. The "wedge" issues, things that should have been taken care of decades ago, are the only things I find really relevant and until they make any progress on them I won't care who the pope is. Those are the things they can really change by coming into the 20th century let alone the current one.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »

'Should have been taken care of decades ago'? Do you have any understanding whatsoever of how these people think?

Yes. That's exactly why I don't care too deeply about this. I didn't expect much and those were the only things most of us care about, so the coverage was perfectly informative. That's the point I made and that's as far as I care about the pope.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »

Yeah, close enough
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »

I agree with who I agree with, I suppose. This is the first I'm hearing of these collectives I belong to though.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »

Like I said, those were the relevant issues for those of us not involved in the nuances of intra-Catholic goings on. I didn't see that stuff about killing priests or whatever and I have no particular interest in going back and looking at it because I don't care. The "wedge" issues, things that should have been taken care of decades ago, are the only things I find really relevant and until they make any progress on them I won't care who the pope is. Those are the things they can really change by coming into the 20th century let alone the current one.
No denomination of Christianity supports abortion, so I don't know what you could have possibly expected there.
Very few support gay marriage (Episcopals are moving toward gay blessings, and there are a few small denominations that have it), but how is that a 20th century issue?  Gay marriage was a fantasy in this country until 2003, which is clearly in the 21st century.

Again, that's exactly why their coverage worked well for me. Until the church does make any forward progress towards de-bigoting their teachings, then it doesn't matter much to me what other nonsense they're going on about. Gay marriage wasn't a real issue until recently largely because of major religion, obviously particularly Christianity in the US, are so dead set against even considering it that they dominate politics until they bend to the will of the church. If they were to stop force-feeding tiny, politically motivated positions that were inappropriate even 50 years ago, then I might care a little about whatever else it is they talk about that affects non-members.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »

Independently of your self-admitted lack of interest in other issues, you're presenting a strongly ahistorical and synchronic view of the LGBTQ movement itself.

How so? Also, I'm not saying that about political issues in general, just the most pressing that are related to things the pope needs to say to get people on the right page, ala abortion, contraception/AIDS relief, and gay marriage. What he has to say will drastically affect those things above any other issue he could speak on. That's why that's all I care about the pope saying. But more importantly, the question... Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies