BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:56:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: POPE FRANCIS I - Jorge Mario Bergoglio - Argentina  (Read 10570 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »

It sounds like Francis will be the kind of Pope I wanted... one who focuses on social justice and social outreach, someone with energy and humor and warmth and humility. I like how he started his papacy with a joke and smile!

People expecting a 180 on social issues were going to be disappointed no matter what, though, none of the cardinals would have delivered that. And the Church needs to focus on more important reforms first, like with the Vatican Bank and Sex Abuse Scandals and VatiLeaks.

Though it seems he's ok with contraception when it's used by married couples to prevent spread of diseases. So I think that would be a slight softening.

And I also think it's possible to see married priests again, though not too soon.

He'll probably only be Pope for 10 years, and no one should expect him to fix everything, but I hope he improves a lot! Definitely seems energetic and youthful, even with his age.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:12:57 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 11:14:48 PM by Starwatcher »

What's up with the outrage about rational people speaking out against the irrational and inhumane views someone in a position of power holds? The new pope, the last one, and probably the next one, deserve to be criticized for their oppressive views on gays and their harmful views on contraception. He may care more about the poor than previous popes, which is great, but he manifests that by criticizing capitalism? Wealth creation should be encouraged along with redistribution to the needy. I don't really see what there is to like about him and why he should be shielded from criticism.
The Catholic Church actually teaches respect of homosexual people, that simply being gay is not a sin, and that it's not a choice. They just view the sex is wrong, for the same reason they view masturbation is wrong and condoms are wrong. It's all related to one issue, the belief that all sex must be open to life. And it really does make no sense to criticize the new Pope for believing what probably 100% of the other cardinals believe.

Also, this new Pope has said in the past that contraception, when used by married couples to stop the spread of disease, is NOT sinful. And that's already a soft but significant shift.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21:29 PM »

Criticize Church teaching.

In the way Pope Francis is different than previous Popes, it's for his more progressive views. So he shouldn't be criticized for saying in the past that he strongly supports current Church teaching. It just isn't right or logical. It's not like his opening sermon was about condemning gay people to hell.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies