Opinion of internet atheists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:23:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of internet atheists
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Opinion of internet atheists
FFs

HPs

Neutral/Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Opinion of internet atheists  (Read 17313 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »

Well?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »

My main experience with them today has been them acting genuinely scandalized (as opposed to simply dismayed, which--I cannot stress this enough--is entirely appropriate and has been for a long time) by the fact that the new pope opposes gay marriage. These are supposed to be the enlightened, rational 'brights'?
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:03:31 PM »

Generally arrogant assholes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »

I like them if they are amusing and witty, like opebo. Most are just annoying bores.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:16:46 PM »

My main experience with them today has been them acting genuinely scandalized (as opposed to simply dismayed, which--I cannot stress this enough--is entirely appropriate and has been for a long time) by the fact that the new pope opposes gay marriage. These are supposed to be the enlightened, rational 'brights'?

I've noticed this trend too. They seem to have high opinions of themselves and then are astonished when others disagree, even when it's obvious that someone would, like the new Pope.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »

I'm agnostic about atheists.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »

Many of them are just "making hay" and are kind of trite, IMO. But some of them are good, it's just that many figure that since we agnostics and atheists are like 20% of the population, we'll listen to them. Not always, no.

I don't know if you could call them Internet atheists or not, but I really like Penn & Teller. They are terrific. Penn going through the plagues of Egypt with Teller pulling all those tricks has me in stitches every time I see it. Cheesy
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »

Yes, yes, I know, we're all assholes who think we're better than you religious folk, I get it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »

My problem is simply just how BORING most of them are. Never any original material. It's just like an atheist version of jmfcst's Bible verse quote fests. At least be funny, witty and original like opebo.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

Militant HPs
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 10:15:49 PM by Joe Republic »

My problem is simply just how BORING most of them are. Never any original material.

That kind of goes hand in hand with having a rational, logical approach to the world, you see.  Sorry that we can't all be batsh[inks] insane like a lot of you folks and your weird perspectives of reality.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »

Fanatic atheists are annoying like all other fanatics (though generally less harmful than religious fanatics).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »

We're all horrible people who advocate things like not stoning women accused of adultery, legalization of gay marriage, and the separation of church and state. What monstrous fiends we must seem to you all!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »

Fanatic atheists are annoying like all other fanatics (though generally less harmful than religious fanatics).

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »

The harm these people did is only marginally related to their atheism (by marginally, I mean, you might have a point for persecution of religion under communist dictatorships, even though it's arguable, but those are far from being the most horrible things communist dictatorships did).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »

BRTD, do you understand the meaning of the word "generally"? Also, I believe those you are showing were fanatic communists, something that most atheists you will ever meet are not going to be.

Also, you lack originality in this attack - do you think this was witty and original? Christians make this fallacious attack all the damn time.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

Communist dictatorships were truly awful, weren't they, Better Red Than Dead?  I totally agree.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 10:39:05 PM by Nathan »

My problem is simply just how BORING most of them are. Never any original material.

That kind of goes hand in hand with having a rational, logical approach to the world, you see.  Sorry that we can't all be batsh[inks] insane like a lot of you folks and your weird perspectives of reality.

Yes, thank you for the demonstration.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 10:44:19 PM »

Communist dictatorships were truly awful, weren't they, Better Red Than Dead?  I totally agree.

Haha, Count it and one.

This is a flawed question, probably by design.   It is like asking the opinion of Christians or blonde haired people. Ill admit, the more confrontational and condescending atheism used to get under my skin. This is likely because it ate at my own nagging doubts of faith about this whole merry-go-round. Ive come to a more mature place and conception about my belief systems. Questions and doubt are healthy parts of a faith experience. Memorizing verses by rote with no counter-balance or reflection is shallow.  Some atheists pose excellent questions and if you cannot answer them, you need to dig deeper.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »

Better than internet religiouses, but still annoying.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »

I'm an agnostic but anti-religion for the most part. Most religions (but with obvious exceptions, including within the religions)in this world have a deleterious effect on people, usually minority groups like gays and women (who aren't really a minority group). Criticizing such institutions aren't a bad thing in my book. Of course militantly shoving your belief that there is no god down someones throat is annoying.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArtifactTitle
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 12:01:50 AM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »

Those communist leaders weren't really atheists, it just was that they saw the god they wanted people to worship each time they looked in the mirror.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 04:36:50 AM »

First of all, what is an ‘internet atheist?’ I mean, I’m sure people who say they don’t believe in god are probably non believers the rest of the time too. But I know what is meant by it, because we all know that type of person online. We’ve all met them and they generally are assholes. And that’s why atheists in general are horrible etc etc. Problem is, it seems to apply to any atheist or agnostic who simply states his position partly as a way to detract credibility. It’s okay for people who are religious to talk about their faith and their belief and evangelise but if we do it, it’s arrogant or boring or fanatic. None of us on this forum are telling you ‘you must not believe in god’; we’re just saying that we don’t. If you go on Facebook and your Christian friend can’t even go a single post without saying god makes them happy, god provides for them, they’re praying for you it’s met with general silence, but say that you don’t believe and make a post then ‘whoa buddy don’t be so fanatical about it.’

I lost my faith after years of intense and down right f-cking traumatic personal reflection when I emerged into the adult world and realised people like me in one way through faith didn’t like me and actively stood against me because of something else. I’m not an ‘internet atheist’ or a ‘New Atheist’ or whatever label is used. I reached my conclusion by myself through reading, through asking and even in the early stages through prayer. Most of you in this forum experienced that with me. I can argue my position respectfully and consistently and on this forum I discuss it on this board or in any post where politics and religion overlaps; I don’t shoehorn it in to everything I say. I find immense beauty in reality, awe in the position of our sun as essentially the closest ‘godlike’ object in our presence and I’m passionate about science and human progress. If that leads you to conclude ‘internet atheists lol’ then you know what, you’re the asshole.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies