Rick Perry takes shot at McCain and Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:37:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rick Perry takes shot at McCain and Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rick Perry takes shot at McCain and Romney  (Read 4761 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8CTZ-YviaY

Rick Perry's CPAC speech is fairly entertaining. A lot of it is old hat and very on script, but some of his tone is just very odd. He pauses in weird places. Is he still taking pain meds? who knows.

The main thing I wanted to point out was his hit job on McCain and Romney. Only somewhat exciting because Romney is ACTUALLY SPEAKING at CPAC. But basically Rick Perry says:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Damn, thems fighting words. He wants Marco Rubio media or Rand Paul media.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/03/14/cpac-2013-live-coverage-of-the-conservative-political-action-conference/
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

Rick Perry's CPAC speech is fairly entertaining. A lot of it is old hat and very on script, but some of his tone is just very odd. He pauses in weird places. Is he still taking pain meds? who knows.

The main thing I wanted to point out was his hit job on McCain and Romney. Only somewhat exciting because Romney is ACTUALLY SPEAKING at CPAC. But basically Rick Perry says:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/03/14/cpac-2013-live-coverage-of-the-conservative-political-action-conference/
What's incredible about this is that it completely flies in the face of nearly all the polls out of 2010 and 2012, as well as the voting patterns since 1992.  And even if he were right, why would it matter?  Romney has already said he's not running again, and although McCain hasn't said that, I think it's a safe bet he's done with politics at the end of his next term in the Senate. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »

The rest of that speech was pretty bad too. Like the Northeasterners, I'm very happy with Perry where he is.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:05:24 AM »

What's incredible about this is that it completely flies in the face of nearly all the polls out of 2010 and 2012, as well as the voting patterns since 1992.  And even if he were right, why would it matter?  Romney has already said he's not running again, and although McCain hasn't said that, I think it's a safe bet he's done with politics at the end of his next term in the Senate. 

ugggh. I wasn't saying that Romney and McCain were RUNNING. It was merely something humorous I found on Perry. Not everything is someone suggesting someone is running.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »

Governor Perry is correct. Real conservatism was avoided like the plague by RINO McCain and RINO Romney. They avoided social issues and the few times they spoke about them they looked like they were passing a gallstone.

They couldn't bring out the base -- and that's why they lost their elections!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »

Governor Perry is correct. Real conservatism was avoided like the plague by RINO McCain and RINO Romney. They avoided social issues and the few times they spoke about them they looked like they were passing a gallstone.

Same could be said about Bush 2004, Bush 2000, Dole 1996, and on ad infinitum.  And really, it's largely the same on the Dem. side.  Neither party likes to talk much about social issues in the general election phase of presidential elections.  Social issues are sufficiently divisive that the candidates don't want to spend much time talking about them directly.  They'll dog whistle them to their base in strategic ad buys, but having the candidate talk about it directly usually doesn't help much.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »

LOL at the idea that McCain and Romney were moderates.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:34:37 AM »

LOL at the idea that McCain and Romney were moderates.

Be fair here: In terms of American politics, up until about 2004, McCain positioned himself as a moderate.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:44:25 AM »

Romney was not a moderate, he was a   left-wing liberal in my opinion -- The conservatives have been abandoned for too long. It is time for an authentic tea party conservative patriot nominee
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:47:29 AM »

Romney was not a moderate, he was a left-wing liberal in my opinion

No sir.

CountryClassSF

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 01:01:18 AM »

He wasn't a liberal? He wanted a gay military, he trashed Akin more than he trashed "nice guy" Obama, put RINOs in charge of the entire convention, socialized health care in Mass etc. Sorry, he was a liberal by any stretch of the imagination. The tea party/conservatives would have defeated the flip flopper if Santorum & Gingrich had not split the conservative vote.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 06:10:09 AM »

He wasn't a liberal? He wanted a gay military, he trashed Akin more than he trashed "nice guy" Obama, put RINOs in charge of the entire convention, socialized health care in Mass etc. Sorry, he was a liberal by any stretch of the imagination. The tea party/conservatives would have defeated the flip flopper if Santorum & Gingrich had not split the conservative vote.

Akin lost by 16 IN MO. Romney won the state "trashing" him, remember?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 06:32:56 AM »

He's obviously going to run, get some brief traction, then flop badly after the first debate and silently drop out in late summer.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »

What. Romney's sorry ass was as bigoted toward non-straights as just about 99% of his fellow Mormons. So I say again: what.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42:41 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2013, 11:47:18 AM by Wisard Ekstraordinær Maxwell »

He's obviously going to run, get some brief traction, then flop badly after the first debate and silently drop out in late summer.

Obviously this, but I don't think he even gets the brief traction after this looney speech.

My favorite pause in the speech is when he's talking about the deficit and says it is approximatly equal to our "G........... D.P."
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »

If only Rick Perry could find a way to run without talking. He is the perfect GOP candidate. White Southern Male Evangelical Conservative Gun-tottin Governor with good hair and big money backers. That is why he became the instant front-runner the day after he announced before he made any speeches or appearances. In fact speeches, appearances and especially debates are what destroyed him.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »

I do remember. He was a candidate that was starved for cash from August onward against an incumbent Senator that had $5.6 million.  Had Republicans not pulled what they had, he would have had a very good chance of winning. 
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »

I do remember. He was a candidate that was starved for cash from August onward against an incumbent Senator that had $5.6 million.  Had Republicans not pulled what they had, he would have had a very good chance of winning. 

A camel with no cash would have beaten McCaskill. The problem was not about money, it was about Akin saying what he really believes (which is absurd).
CountryClassSF

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »

Republicans are not allowed to make misstatements because the media eviscerates it and twists it their way.

Joe Biden can accuse Republicans of putting "y'all" "BACK in chains" and not hear a peep.

That being said, Democrats are a heck of a lot better at feigning outrage through the Twittersphere and social media.

McCaskill is a talented politician who is way to the left of her own constituents - but she quickly was heavily funded.

Akin was not a good candidate because he was not able to explain his comments. He made his own errors.  But Missouri is a strongly pro-life state. Being pro-life with just the mother's life exemption, in my view, is not an extreme viewpoint for the heartland.

In the process, instead of Akin's campaign and GOP establishment being critiqued, it is us pro-lifers that are being trashed
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »

Being pro-life with just the mother's life exemption, in my view, is not an extreme viewpoint for the heartland.

Ah yes, the good ol' heartland...

I really do feel sorry for you. Not just because you have such disregard for victims of rape or incest, but because you are completely oblivious to the fact that people like you are the problem and the reason your party keeps losing elections.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »

Why didn't Akin just get more money from Reid and Obama? They afterall funded his primary campaign for him. The man was third in the primary, THIRD. There is no way he would have been the nominee without the million plus they threw in for him. If you removed ideology (not hard to consider when all three were arguably tea party candidates), the idea of a candidate being planted by the Democrats should set any Republican, much less conservative, off.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:48 PM »

Wasn't Perry going to take shots at three former candidates?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »

I will stay home in this next election if we do not have a conservative tea party patriot. I have had enough RINOS
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »

You know, I've really had enough with the gay bashing. No candidate argued for a "gay military"—and if anyone did, what would be the problem? What, exactly, is wrong with having people who love their country enlist in the military to protect their nation? Sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. I get the arguments against gay marriage and I get that there's an element of social tradition, but these positions shouldn't be a guise for bigotry. We shouldn't stand around and actively discriminate for the sake of discriminating. Come on. And straight up—throwing around terms like "gay military" is exclusive. What does it gain? What's wrong with having open gay people in the army?

This is the type of shit that really bothers me. And then we get people, hard-rightists, basically saying in code that Mitt Romney lost because he wasn't a big enough bigot. How much more disconnected from the Republican Party's current slate of problems could you possibly be? We need more Mitt Romneys and John McCains, not fewer. This party should not be the party that gays, immigrants and women run from... but it is, because there are too many "Republican activists" who mask racism and bigotry with transparent "policies." Do people really think that Santorum or Perry would've been a positive figure for progress?

Bleh. How discouraging.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

I will stay home in this next election if we do not have a conservative tea party patriot. I have had enough RINOS

Oh goodness, what will the GOP ever do if you stay home.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies