How many times have you been on strike?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:39:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How many times have you been on strike?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How many times have you been on strike?  (Read 3484 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »

As a student? Never.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »

I suppose I did once participate in a one day student strike to protest the Iraq War.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 09:04:25 PM »

Never and honestly this is an issue I'm not particularly principled on, if I did have a unionized job and it called a strike over an issue I personally disagreed with it and did not agree with the strike I'd have no problem whatsoever scabbing (especially since scabbing might result in more pay to boot.) Especially if the reason for the strike wouldn't particularly affect me (like some pension thing that would only be a big factor to olds for example.) Of course if I agreed with the reason I would participate in the strike.

Granted, I'm not an expert on these things (we really don't have unions in Mississippi), but isn't that not allowed?  I thought union members were forbidden to return to work during the strike and scabs were replacements hired by the company.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »

You're sure you went to school in France?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

Never and honestly this is an issue I'm not particularly principled on, if I did have a unionized job and it called a strike over an issue I personally disagreed with it and did not agree with the strike I'd have no problem whatsoever scabbing (especially since scabbing might result in more pay to boot.) Especially if the reason for the strike wouldn't particularly affect me (like some pension thing that would only be a big factor to olds for example.) Of course if I agreed with the reason I would participate in the strike.

Granted, I'm not an expert on these things (we really don't have unions in Mississippi), but isn't that not allowed?  I thought union members were forbidden to return to work during the strike and scabs were replacements hired by the company.
No, they are allowed to "scab", but if the strike is successful, a good union will do everything possible to discipline them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »

No, they are allowed to "scab", but if the strike is successful, a good union will do everything possible to discipline them.

Of course I'd have to weigh benefits and all that, but in Harry's scenario, I'd be willing to scab if I felt a union was striking for a bad reason. Taking a position that unions are always right in all circumstances and all strikes are justified and thus scabbing is always wrong is just as absurd as the krazen position of that unions are always wrong. Also honoring a strike I disagree with kind of strikes me as equivalent to not using marijuana just because it's illegal.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »

From Better Red Than Dead antifa to a pinkerton. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »

I also just realized that I posted something based on nuance, despite the claims of Gustaf and Kalwejt that I am incapable of understanding it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »

Ironically, the best occasion for me to debut at striking came this year... while I was miles away from Sciences Po. Tongue As you may know the School has been a complete mess since Descoing's death, and the administration's procedure to select a new director has sparked some controversy. A significant protest sparked among students (and some profs) but I think it has died out now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »

Never.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »

Of course I'd have to weigh benefits and all that, but in Harry's scenario, I'd be willing to scab if I felt a union was striking for a bad reason. Taking a position that unions are always right in all circumstances and all strikes are justified and thus scabbing is always wrong is just as absurd as the krazen position of that unions are always wrong. Also honoring a strike I disagree with kind of strikes me as equivalent to not using marijuana just because it's illegal.
There is a big gap between disagreeing with the strike and scabbing BRTD>
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 12:43:20 AM »

That's like saying "There's a big difference between disagreeing with laws against marijuana and actually smoking pot."
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 12:48:50 AM »

That's like saying "There's a big difference between disagreeing with laws against marijuana and actually smoking pot."
How about this, scabbing is undermining the union.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 12:52:25 AM »

Also you should support strikes over pensions, unless it's a two tiered system BRTD, since you have the most to gain from it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 12:57:53 AM »

How about this, scabbing is undermining the union.

Yeah but if the union does stuff I don't agree with that doesn't bother me. Might I also add I usually can't afford to lose several days of pay, much less for something I don't agree with.

Really I don't have much to do with unions since I don't work in a job with one, I just support them because:

1-They organize for and give lots of money to Democrats and
2-People who hate them are almost always giant douchebags. (See krazen on forum, and Scott Walker in real life.)

Also you should support strikes over pensions, unless it's a two tiered system BRTD, since you have the most to gain from it.

That's why I said one that specifically benefited olds.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 02:21:03 AM »

And you know, there is good unions and bad unions.
(For people with Quebec knowledge, I'm talking of the FTQ, which also owns a big investment fund and routinely silence union representatives when the interests of the workers are against those of the fund.)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 04:23:51 AM »

Austrians are almost not striking.

Unless you are a metal worker or a teacher. Then you strike once in 40 years.

Basically this, just replace "Austrians" with "Swiss". I'm especially glad we're not plagued with public employees who strike every second week or so.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:11 AM »

Never, and there's basically no chance of it in the near future. The student union knows that only 5 people would show up to their strikes if they organized one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies