Rob Portman becomes only GOP Senator to endorse gay marriage.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:35:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rob Portman becomes only GOP Senator to endorse gay marriage.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Rob Portman becomes only GOP Senator to endorse gay marriage.  (Read 17512 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »

On one hand, yay for progress. On the other hand, I can't help but take issue with the fact that this sounds like "I opposed same-sex marriage until I found out my son was gay".

Hypocrisy is overrated as a vice. Some people are simply confused about what they believe in. Some people have conflicts between their sensibilities and necessities of survival.

If Senator Portman is becoming the new Voinovich... great. The GOP needs moderates to survive the Tea party craze.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:32 AM »

Well, look, here, Obama wasn't for it, now he is.  Cheney wasn't, now he is. Portman no, now he is.

Mr. Moderate is right......there's really no stopping this wave.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »

The difference between Portman and Obama is Obama never supported a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »

Let's not all think that having a gay child means that a Republican (or Democratic) legislator will automatically endorse same-sex marriage. I have heard countless times from legislators in state legislatures during debates talk about how they acknowledge and/or accept their child's sexuality, but cannot approve of same-sex marriage. And it does suck, since my parents are the same way.

Of course, sadly, this is quite true.  And I'm sorry to hear about the attitude of your parents.  But in those instances where children can change the parents' minds on gay marriage, that's a good thing. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »

Knowing gays up close and personal who are "mainstream" does more than anything else to change attitudes on this. It is one of the reasons that I came out  a couple of years after I finally figured out for sure who I was. It's the least I can do. The stereotypes need to be broken down. I agree with sbane that opposing gay marriage issue more than anything else is a proxy for animus against gays. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »

Well, look, here, Obama wasn't for it, now he is.  Cheney wasn't, now he is. Portman no, now he is.

Mr. Moderate is right......there's really no stopping this wave.

Truth.  It goes more in line with what Dan Savage has to say about why you should be angry with closeted types.  The more people realize they have a loved one who is GLBT, the more people will realize that they aren't a freaky fringe.

Also, like what Grumpy said, you see people all moving from anti- to pro, but I don't think we have an example of a politician moving from pro- to anti, do we?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »

Portman , you're on the wrong side of this issue now. Mr. Moderate, this wave will be stopped and stopped hard.
Torie, I have no animus against gay folks but I'm siding with nature and nature's God and His word is firmly against it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »

Incidentally, while Portman is the only *current* Republican US Senator to support gay marriage, I believe there was one other who came out for it while still in office, and is now no longer in the Senate.  Anyone know who it is?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »

Knowing gays up close and personal who are "mainstream" does more than anything else to change attitudes on this.

To be perfectly honest I was a lot more pro-gay before I knew so many of ya'll personally.  Now I'm a bit on the fence.  For example, the term 'gay mafia' is one that comes up almost daily round the Uni.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »

Portman , you're on the wrong side of this issue now. Mr. Moderate, this wave will be stopped and stopped hard.
Torie, I have no animus against gay folks but I'm siding with nature and nature's God and His word is firmly against it.

How do you figure Portman is on the losing side politically? I'm asking for my own amusement.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

Knowing gays up close and personal who are "mainstream" does more than anything else to change attitudes on this. It is one of the reasons that I came out  a couple of years after I finally figured out for sure who I was. It's the least I can do. The stereotypes need to be broken down. I agree with sbane that opposing gay marriage issue more than anything else is a proxy for animus against gays. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
And just the other day you were speaking so admirably about those who oppose equal rights under the dubious cover of organized religion.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »

I don't think you people understand what this means. It's not a drop in the bucket, it's a another deep painful crack in a disintegrating wall. We're far closer to equality than we realize. Best guess is that by the next time he faces election, this is a net positive in Ohio.

Agreed. This is huge.
Benj

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »

How do you figure Portman is on the losing side politically? I'm asking for my own amusement.

JCL thinks it's only a matter of time before fire and brimstone fall from heaven to burn the gay-married where they stand.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »

Portman, you're on the wrong side of this issue now. Mr. Moderate, this wave will be stopped and stopped hard.

Funny coming from someone who seems to have been on the wrong side of human progress and decency since the day he was born.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »

We can debate interpretations of the Bible, translations, theology, etc.  for stuff about homosexuality and abortion but the bottom line is that if you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.    No one else is harmed by the process(this is not the case with abortion, which I find a far more difficult issue).  As far as morality goes, no one is going to become gay because of gay marriage being legalized. We're just providing recognition for those who already are. 
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »

How does it feel to be on the wrong side of history? To be fighting a war that is already lost for your side?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2013/03/15/gay-couples-also-deserve-chance-to-get-married.html

Opposition to gay marriage isn't a proxy for animus against gays.  Many people hold to an understanding of marriage that they consider sacred, coming out of genuinely held beliefs that have their basis in centuries of intellectual and social traditions.  But when you are encountered with someone personally who is excluded from that definition and yet has the same basic aspirations, rethinking is required.  That's what's going on here, and it's a good thing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »

Hypocrisy is overrated as a vice. Some people are simply confused about what they believe in.

And this is why I like pbrower despite the strange tonedeaf botlike stuff he also posts.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »

How does it feel to be on the wrong side of history? To be fighting a war that is already lost for your side?

How does it feel to be a smug, condescending ass who believes in teleological and deterministic myths to make yourself feel better?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »

Hoping to steer away from debating religion and back to talking politics, it is really interesting that both of Ohio's senators support same-sex marriage. What other Midwestern state has two supportive senators? I can only think of Minnesota, but I'm not sure about Klobuchar. Pretty sure she supports it, though.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »

Michigan?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »

2016 will be a huge test for the Republican party, if this guy can survive the primary, then there may be hope for them. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »

Primary challenge in 2016? I'm sure the OHGOP has a more than fair share of nuts.

Every state GOP has more than its fair share of nuts.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2013/03/15/gay-couples-also-deserve-chance-to-get-married.html

Opposition to gay marriage isn't a proxy for animus against gays.  Many people hold to an understanding of marriage that they consider sacred, coming out of genuinely held beliefs that have their basis in centuries of intellectual and social traditions.  But when you are encountered with someone personally who is excluded from that definition and yet has the same basic aspirations, rethinking is required.  That's what's going on here, and it's a good thing.
You think "I was all for religious based discrimination until I realized it affects me" is an admirable position? It's better than digging in your heels and disowning your kid, but it's not exactly an impressive show of humanity either. It's a shame more Senators can't have poor children. Maybe then they'd do something about inequality.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »

Yeah.  I notice most people who are like "DIS SEKRETLY A BAD THING" are straight, to my knowledge.  Sometimes discrimination seems impossibly vague until you have a real, live example right in front of you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies