House Republicans Unanimously Vote Down Minimum Wage Hike
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:20:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Republicans Unanimously Vote Down Minimum Wage Hike
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: House Republicans Unanimously Vote Down Minimum Wage Hike  (Read 5591 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »

Wouldn't a minimum wage hike reduce the deficit significantly?  Less people would qualify for food stamps and medicaid and they'd receive smaller tax refunds.

That assumes that a wage hike would not impact jobs, which it certainly would, tho the extent and timing of that impact is of considerable debate.  Despite what opebo and possibly memphis think, it certainly is possible to raise the minimum wage too high, of which the most recent prominent example is what happened to the tuna canning industry in American Samoa when the Democrats insisted on implementing the Federal minimum wage there over the objections of the people there.  Tho to be fair, the increase in the minimum wage that was inflicted on American Samoa would be more like raising the current US minimum wage to $20/hr than to $10/hr.
I wouldn't be worried about this happening in this decade, that shouldn't even be discusses unless we get a congress full of opebos and memphises.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 08:00:43 PM »

The members of the Republican Party in Congress are either so much in their own right-wing universe/information bubble that they are truly "out of touch" with the American people (a likely scenario, considering the Romney campaign's now infamous election polls) or they are deliberately sh*tting on the people because they lost the Presidential election, failed to take the Senate, and only are in the House because of their fellow Republicans in the state legislature's efforts...yet they are still in power,so they can and will do whatever they want, the people be damned.

What are the Democrats really going to do about this, in terms of governance (not in terms of electoral politics)? More importantly, what can they do about this? The GOP may be a bunch of trolls, but they are damn good at it, gotta give em credit for that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »

Someone answer SPC's question: How high would a minimum wage have to be before voting against it doesn't make you a DINO?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »

Someone answer SPC's question: How high would a minimum wage have to be before voting against it doesn't make you a DINO?

"Higher than it was at its peak when adjusted for inflation" might be a good line to draw.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »

I'd say higher than when adjusted for productivity increases, i.e. higher than $22 an hour.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »

I'd say higher than when adjusted for productivity increases, i.e. higher than $22 an hour.

I'd say that's only possible in a world with a lot less immigration. Somewhere around $10-11/hr adjusted state by state for cost of living would be appropriate in my book.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies