If it were up to the states....? (Abortion)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:05:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If it were up to the states....? (Abortion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: If it were up to the states....? (Abortion)  (Read 7248 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 04:13:22 PM »

Blue = Illegal
Red = Legal
Grey = Legal (w/ restrictions)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 04:13:52 PM »

Legal  16
NH, VT, MA, RI, ME, NY, NJ, MD, DE, CA, OR, WA, NV, IL, HI, CT

Legal with restrictions 9
MN, WI, MI, AZ, NM, CO, MT, MO, AK

Illegal 25
WY, UT, ID, SD, ND, NE, KS, OK, TX, MS, AR, LA, AL, TN, KY, IN, IA, GA, NC, SC, FL, PA, OH, WV, VA
So basically the map would look like Bush vs. Kerry, with a few exceptions: PA, NH and NV.

How does abortion play in MA and IL?

I *think* that WV would be the only state to ban both abortion and the death penalty
Maybe PA too?  IA?  Or MN, if it actually went that far on abortion.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 04:15:04 PM »

I *think* that WV would be the only state to ban both abortion and the death penalty
Maybe PA too?  IA?  Or MN, if it actually went that far on abortion.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

PA wouldn't ban the death penalty.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2005, 04:21:29 PM »

Maybe PA too?  IA?  Or MN, if it actually went that far on abortion.

yes.  who cares what the pope says about death penalty, war and pverty.  just quote him on abortion and homosexuality!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2005, 04:26:54 PM »

A lot of states that are libertarian like South Dakota and Wyoming would be a major issue if the people decided, but with their current legislatures, would definietly make it illegal.

Montana is the exception. With the local Democratic Party kicking butt, it would be a major battle, with a big edge for the pro-choice with restrictions set.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2005, 04:31:36 PM »

yes.  who cares what the pope says about death penalty, war and pverty.  just quote him on abortion and homosexuality!

I disagree with the Pope. What's your point?
Angel of Death
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2005, 07:36:05 PM »

Perhaps Roe vs. Wade is indeed a good thing in order to avoid Dred Scott-like situations.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005, 10:36:48 PM »

North Dakota, possibly Iowa
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2005, 10:45:43 PM »

Here's the death penalty map for comparison:

blue = has it
red = does not have it
gray = has it but has not used it since the death penalty was declared constitutional (also worth noting that currently Kansas and New York do not have it at all since both their death penalty laws have been overturned by state courts)

Illinois technically has it, but it has a moratorium and clemency to all prisoners on it from former Gov. Ryan, and is moving toward repeal. For all practically purposes it should be a read state. I have also heard MD and NM are moving toward repeal
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2005, 10:58:44 PM »

Washington would almost certainly have it legal. Voters have approved it at least 4 times, dating back to the 70s.

Montana probably would, with Democrats doing well there. Not to mention medical marijuana easily passed there.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2005, 04:25:46 AM »

Next question is could a particular county in a state overturn it's restrictive laws.  Off the bat in PA I know Montgomery, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Philadelphia would do it in a heartbeat. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2005, 11:53:55 AM »

according to the Catholic Church the Pope is infallible and thus right about everything. If he said the sky is green, it's a sin to say the sky is blue.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2005, 12:44:57 PM »

according to the Catholic Church the Pope is infallible and thus right about everything. If he said the sky is green, it's a sin to say the sky is blue.
Not true.

For the Pope to issue an infallible statement four conditions must be met:
1. He must be speaking officially as the head of the entire Church. We call this ex cathedra, "from the chair" of Peter.
2. His statement must apply to the "entire" Church.
3. It must be a statement on faith or morals.
4. The Pope must intend for the statement to be a final decision on a teaching of faith or morals.

The Pope does not have any authority to originate new doctrine. He cannot alter or change a single word of scripture or divine tradition. He is strictly limited to doctrinal interpretations, to clarify or define some point of ancient tradition.

As for Catholic teaching on abortion vs. the death penalty, abortion is always wrong while the death penalty is sometimes justified.  The Pope's recent strong opposition to the death penalty only dates back to 1995.  This view has really only developed over the past few decades, while opposition to abortion has always been strong.  It is therefore understandable that most Catholic voters are more concerned with abortion than the death penalty.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2005, 01:33:07 PM »

Next question is could a particular county in a state overturn it's restrictive laws.  Off the bat in PA I know Montgomery, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Philadelphia would do it in a heartbeat. 

There isn't such thing as county rights Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2005, 02:19:20 PM »

Chester would support a ban.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2005, 02:20:31 PM »

Yeah if you knew anything, you'd realize that that's wrong. Nice try, BRTD. You're still a moron. Don't act like you know things when you really don't. Read Blue Rectangle's post.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2005, 03:40:17 PM »

Few states would ban it entirely.  Some southern states and Utah would restrict it to rape/incest, others like NM and PA it would only be first trimester.  The bulk of states would have it legal but restricted, with only a few liberal havens offering it on demand.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2005, 04:58:50 PM »

Few states would ban it entirely.  Some southern states and Utah would restrict it to rape/incest, others like NM and PA it would only be first trimester.  The bulk of states would have it legal but restricted, with only a few liberal havens offering it on demand.

That's probably right for PA.  Thing is SE Penn Democrats and Republicans (minus the NE Philly delegation) would unite in Harrisburg and fight quite hard to keep it. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2005, 05:08:36 PM »

That's probably right for PA.  Thing is SE Penn Democrats and Republicans (minus the NE Philly delegation) would unite in Harrisburg and fight quite hard to keep it. 

Doesn't mean they would win. PA is a Pro Life state. Now sit back, take a deep breath and accept that.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2005, 05:11:17 PM »

Doesn't mean they would win. PA is a Pro Life state. Now sit back, take a deep breath and accept that.

I don't think some legislators want to alienate people within their own party.  There are a lot of pro-choice Republicans in SE Penn.  Likewise there are pro-life Democrats out west.  There would likely be a bi-partisan compromise.
danwxman

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2005, 05:31:48 PM »

I don't think some legislators want to alienate people within their own party.  There are a lot of pro-choice Republicans in SE Penn.  Likewise there are pro-life Democrats out west.  There would likely be a bi-partisan compromise.

Probably. Those who are saying abortion would be outright illegal in Pennsylvania clearly aren't taking a look at the big picture. We have a pro-choice governor, the state voted for the last four Democratic candidates who were openly pro-choice, and we have one pro-choice senator who is a Republican. Sure, there are a lot of Democrats in the southwest who are pro-life. But more importantly are the Philadelphia suburbs where theres a lot of Republicans who are pro-choice. The Southwest is becoming less and less important in state politics. Rendell beat Casey, Kerry beat Bush (Southwest PA trended huge towards Bush, but the Southeast still gave the state to Kerry).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2005, 05:43:50 PM »

Probably. Those who are saying abortion would be outright illegal in Pennsylvania clearly aren't taking a look at the big picture. We have a pro-choice governor, the state voted for the last four Democratic candidates who were openly pro-choice, and we have one pro-choice senator who is a Republican. Sure, there are a lot of Democrats in the southwest who are pro-life. But more importantly are the Philadelphia suburbs where theres a lot of Republicans who are pro-choice. The Southwest is becoming less and less important in state politics. Rendell beat Casey, Kerry beat Bush (Southwest PA trended huge towards Bush, but the Southeast still gave the state to Kerry).

Prominent Pro Lifers include: Bob Casey, Jr. (D - State Treasurer), Jack Wagner (D - State Auditor), Catherine Baker Knoll (D - Lt. Governor), Rick Santorum (R - U.S. Senator), Tom Corbett (R - State Attorney Gen.) a clear majority of our Congressional delegation...  Do I need to continue?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2005, 08:29:04 PM »

And in NM, I would bet that there'd be some restrictions on the first trimester as well.
Leif Ericson
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2005, 10:01:15 PM »

Michigan would keep it, maybe with some restrictions
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2005, 12:35:04 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2005, 12:36:39 PM by nclib »

NARAL's report cards for the 50 states...

Red--grade of A or B
Gray--grade of C
Red--grade of D or F

I was surprised about Wisc., Mich., Rhode Island, and West Virginia.

Map of Governors' positions on abortion...

Red--pro-choice
Gray--mixed
Blue--pro-life

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies