If it were up to the states....? (Abortion) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:42:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If it were up to the states....? (Abortion) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If it were up to the states....? (Abortion)  (Read 7341 times)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« on: February 17, 2005, 04:13:52 PM »

Legal  16
NH, VT, MA, RI, ME, NY, NJ, MD, DE, CA, OR, WA, NV, IL, HI, CT

Legal with restrictions 9
MN, WI, MI, AZ, NM, CO, MT, MO, AK

Illegal 25
WY, UT, ID, SD, ND, NE, KS, OK, TX, MS, AR, LA, AL, TN, KY, IN, IA, GA, NC, SC, FL, PA, OH, WV, VA
So basically the map would look like Bush vs. Kerry, with a few exceptions: PA, NH and NV.

How does abortion play in MA and IL?

I *think* that WV would be the only state to ban both abortion and the death penalty
Maybe PA too?  IA?  Or MN, if it actually went that far on abortion.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:44:57 PM »

I *think* that WV would be the only state to ban both abortion and the death penalty
Maybe PA too?  IA?  Or MN, if it actually went that far on abortion.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

PA wouldn't ban the death penalty.

yes.  who cares what the pope says about death penalty, war and pverty.  just quote him on abortion and homosexuality!

I disagree with the Pope. What's your point?

according to the Catholic Church the Pope is infallible and thus right about everything. If he said the sky is green, it's a sin to say the sky is blue.
Not true.

For the Pope to issue an infallible statement four conditions must be met:
1. He must be speaking officially as the head of the entire Church. We call this ex cathedra, "from the chair" of Peter.
2. His statement must apply to the "entire" Church.
3. It must be a statement on faith or morals.
4. The Pope must intend for the statement to be a final decision on a teaching of faith or morals.

The Pope does not have any authority to originate new doctrine. He cannot alter or change a single word of scripture or divine tradition. He is strictly limited to doctrinal interpretations, to clarify or define some point of ancient tradition.

As for Catholic teaching on abortion vs. the death penalty, abortion is always wrong while the death penalty is sometimes justified.  The Pope's recent strong opposition to the death penalty only dates back to 1995.  This view has really only developed over the past few decades, while opposition to abortion has always been strong.  It is therefore understandable that most Catholic voters are more concerned with abortion than the death penalty.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 10:08:27 PM »

That shocked me, too.  So much for the claims that Democrats want to make abortion a rare occurance.  Obviously, given where abortion rates are highest, their "attempts" to reduce the number of abortions is having no effect.  The only way you get a number like 56% is if many of the women are making no effort to use birth control.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 10:31:46 AM »

If that map is accurate some new restrictions are needed urgently...

How will you pay for the increased cost to society of forcing women to be baby making machines against their will?

I suppose they never heard of birth control or something really radical, like not having sex (we're not talking rape/incest here).

Not having sex would be a poor option, as sex is generally enjoyable and a vital part of a good life.

There are alternatives, as I'm sure you are aware.
High abortion rates are an indication of abortion being used as an everyday birth control method, rather than as a last resort.  This means that condom usage is way below where it should be.  That should trouble people no matter where they stand on abortion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies