If it were up to the states....? (Abortion) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:14:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If it were up to the states....? (Abortion) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If it were up to the states....? (Abortion)  (Read 7302 times)
danwxman

« on: February 18, 2005, 05:31:48 PM »

Few states would ban it entirely.  Some southern states and Utah would restrict it to rape/incest, others like NM and PA it would only be first trimester.  The bulk of states would have it legal but restricted, with only a few liberal havens offering it on demand.

That's probably right for PA.  Thing is SE Penn Democrats and Republicans (minus the NE Philly delegation) would unite in Harrisburg and fight quite hard to keep it. 

Doesn't mean they would win. PA is a Pro Life state. Now sit back, take a deep breath and accept that.

I don't think some legislators want to alienate people within their own party.  There are a lot of pro-choice Republicans in SE Penn.  Likewise there are pro-life Democrats out west.  There would likely be a bi-partisan compromise.

Probably. Those who are saying abortion would be outright illegal in Pennsylvania clearly aren't taking a look at the big picture. We have a pro-choice governor, the state voted for the last four Democratic candidates who were openly pro-choice, and we have one pro-choice senator who is a Republican. Sure, there are a lot of Democrats in the southwest who are pro-life. But more importantly are the Philadelphia suburbs where theres a lot of Republicans who are pro-choice. The Southwest is becoming less and less important in state politics. Rendell beat Casey, Kerry beat Bush (Southwest PA trended huge towards Bush, but the Southeast still gave the state to Kerry).
danwxman

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 04:29:14 PM »

Few states would ban it entirely.  Some southern states and Utah would restrict it to rape/incest, others like NM and PA it would only be first trimester.  The bulk of states would have it legal but restricted, with only a few liberal havens offering it on demand.

That's probably right for PA.  Thing is SE Penn Democrats and Republicans (minus the NE Philly delegation) would unite in Harrisburg and fight quite hard to keep it. 

Doesn't mean they would win. PA is a Pro Life state. Now sit back, take a deep breath and accept that.

I don't think some legislators want to alienate people within their own party.  There are a lot of pro-choice Republicans in SE Penn.  Likewise there are pro-life Democrats out west.  There would likely be a bi-partisan compromise.

Probably. Those who are saying abortion would be outright illegal in Pennsylvania clearly aren't taking a look at the big picture. We have a pro-choice governor, the state voted for the last four Democratic candidates who were openly pro-choice, and we have one pro-choice senator who is a Republican. Sure, there are a lot of Democrats in the southwest who are pro-life. But more importantly are the Philadelphia suburbs where theres a lot of Republicans who are pro-choice. The Southwest is becoming less and less important in state politics. Rendell beat Casey, Kerry beat Bush (Southwest PA trended huge towards Bush, but the Southeast still gave the state to Kerry).

Prominent Pro Lifers include: Bob Casey, Jr. (D - State Treasurer), Jack Wagner (D - State Auditor), Catherine Baker Knoll (D - Lt. Governor), Rick Santorum (R - U.S. Senator), Tom Corbett (R - State Attorney Gen.) a clear majority of our Congressional delegation...  Do I need to continue?

Sure do. I bet if a poll came out, it would be close, but a majority of Pennsylvania would be pro-choice. I think it would be legal, but with a lot of restrictions.
danwxman

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 06:53:47 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2005, 06:55:41 PM by danwxman »

Prominent Pro Lifers include: Bob Casey, Jr. (D - State Treasurer), Jack Wagner (D - State Auditor), Catherine Baker Knoll (D - Lt. Governor), Rick Santorum (R - U.S. Senator), Tom Corbett (R - State Attorney Gen.) a clear majority of our Congressional delegation...  Do I need to continue?

Sure do. I bet if a poll came out, it would be close, but a majority of Pennsylvania would be pro-choice. I think it would be legal, but with a lot of restrictions.

Polls don't matter, legislators do.  Most Republicans would support a ban and I know of at least two democrats in my area who (Staback and Wansacz) would support at least a 2nd/3rd trimester ban, if not out an out right ban.

How many Republicans in the Southeast are pro-choice? As a matter of fact, Piccola was pro-choice up until he flip-flopped to run for Governor. And Rep. Smith, who I've talked to before, is a pro-choice Republican from York county of all places.

Not to mention, we have a Republican majority in the U.S. Senate, House of Representitives, a Republican President and a conservative supreme court...and nobody is trying to outlaw abortion (aside from a few wackos).
danwxman

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 07:05:21 PM »

Polls don't matter, legislators do.  Most Republicans would support a ban and I know of at least two democrats in my area who (Staback and Wansacz) would support at least a 2nd/3rd trimester ban, if not out an out right ban.

How many Republicans in the Southeast are pro-choice? As a matter of fact, Piccola was pro-choice up until he flip-flopped to run for Governor. And Rep. Smith, who I've talked to before, is a pro-choice Republican from York county of all places.

And how many Dems out west are Pro Life? It's a Pro Life state, dan. Get over it. By the way, I posted the new approval/disapproval ratings in the Gov. and Senate boards. Shouldn't we be arguing about those?  Smiley

All you ever argue is circular logic. I say one thing and you say "It's the other, get over it"

I'm dissapointed in the approval ratings. They are rather flat, nothing much to talk about. Rendell is looking safe though. I really don't think Swann could beat him. Santorum is also safe, unless Casey runs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies