Steubenville football players found guilty of rape
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:43:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Steubenville football players found guilty of rape
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Steubenville football players found guilty of rape  (Read 3972 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/17/us-usa-crime-ohio-idUSBRE92E0ZS20130317

Of course they're not the only ones responsible, even if they are the only ones guilty of any crime. Maybe the town will reexamine itself after this.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »

Town? No, no, no. This isn't just a town. This is a cultural infection.

And this is hardly going to push anyone towards a cure. Boys will be boys!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »

Good, I guess. 1 to 4 years strikes me as a pretty mild sentence, but I don't know the details of the case so I can't really say. Hopefully all the other people involved will also be brought to trial.

BTW, is AG Mike DeWine that Mike DeWine? And how the hell is he still in politics? Huh
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »

The boys got the girl drunk and unable to resist the rape. It's statutory, anyway.

Tough luck, boys: you have ruined your lives. There goes any possibility of playing for a scholarship. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »

Good, I guess. 1 to 4 years strikes me as a pretty mild sentence, but I don't know the details of the case so I can't really say. Hopefully all the other people involved will also be brought to trial.

BTW, is AG Mike DeWine that Mike DeWine? And how the hell is he still in politics? Huh

Yes that is the same Mike DeWine that once sat in the senate. Why are you surprised? DeWine isn't super unpopular or anything. Taft did him in far more than he ever did.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »

Town? No, no, no. This isn't just a town. This is a cultural infection.

Yep.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »

Yes that is the same Mike DeWine that once sat in the senate. Why are you surprised? DeWine isn't super unpopular or anything. Taft did him in far more than he ever did.

I'd have thought that for an incumbent to be defeated by 12 points after being exposed as corrupt generally marks the end of one's political career...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »

I'd have thought that for an incumbent to be defeated by 12 points after being exposed as corrupt generally marks the end of one's political career...

He got elected by four points with less than 50% of the vote in 2010. Very weak performance considering how well other Republicans did that year in Ohio (Kasich also was similarly weak.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »

Good, I guess. 1 to 4 years strikes me as a pretty mild sentence, but I don't know the details of the case so I can't really say.

They are minors, right?  The article says that one of them is 16 years old, and the crime was committed last year, so he might have been as young as 15.  I assume that has something to do with the sentences.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:23:56 AM »

For the record, I have give DeWine credit where it's due, he's rocking it with this case, also opening up a grand jury probe to look at other charges in the town. Even DU is speaking positively of him now.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 04:55:15 AM »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/the-top-5-rape-apologist-reactions-to-the-steubenville-rape-verdict/

Oh, and as others have said I'm assuming age has to do with the relatively mild sentence.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »

The effective ban from football for life (and not being able to get any football scholarships to college now) is probably a far bigger penalty than the jail time.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »

Boys will be boys!
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:35:55 PM »

CNN might as well have given them a parade with a pity party after the sentencing, good God.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »

CNN might as well have given them a parade with a pity party after the sentencing, good God.

I saw some clips of this online--it was pretty appalling.  These guys committed a terrible crime, and the coach was practically an accessory, and the media is treating them almost like victims instead of the actual victim.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »

This is getting even sicker:

http://www.upworthy.com/cnn-pays-touching-tribute-to-the-rapists-who-attacked-a-16-year-old-girl?c=ufb1

I already knew people were disgusting, but... it still hurts to see that. That journalist should be fired immediately.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2013, 11:36:16 AM by Progressive Realist »

For the record, the girl was drugged by the rapists, not drunk. And this was a pre-meditated "revenge" attack on the girl.

"Sickening" doesn't even begin to describe it...

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

http://www.theonion.com/video/college-basketball-star-heroically-overcomes-tragi,19097/
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/03/18/steubenville-rapists-released-football-games/
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »

For the record, the girl was drugged by the rapists, not drunk. And this was a pre-meditated "revenge" attack on the girl.

"Sickening" doesn't even begin to describe it...

Absolutely.  Rape is inexcusable.  That may sound like an obvious statement, but there are plenty of people who make excuses for it.  It needs to be taken more seriously.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »

This is gold and the Onion deserves a medal for it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »

I certainly can believe that a bunch of bigots would say these horrible things, but am I the only one who is just baffled at realizing that the media have the same mentality? For God's sake, we're talking about educated people who, through their job and certainly other experiences, have had plenty of occasions to understand what rape culture is! I feel like I fell in a spatiotemporal passage to one century ago.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »

I certainly can believe that a bunch of bigots would say these horrible things, but am I the only one who is just baffled at realizing that the media have the same mentality?

The media has been going downhill FAST in the past couple of years.  So it's not surprising to some because we've seen this decline.  I don't think they even have that mentality themselves; but they are now in an era where its in their best interest to present things with the same mentality as their viewers as it gets them higher ratings.  So they have this new mentality because it's what people want to hear.  Which goes to show how little we've come with the issue of rape in our culture and how it needs to be improved.

Are you saying that the average person (or the average TV watcher) agrees with this horrendous drivel?

words fail me
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »

I certainly can believe that a bunch of bigots would say these horrible things, but am I the only one who is just baffled at realizing that the media have the same mentality?

The media has been going downhill FAST in the past couple of years.  So it's not surprising to some because we've seen this decline.  I don't think they even have that mentality themselves; but they are now in an era where its in their best interest to present things with the same mentality as their viewers as it gets them higher ratings.  So they have this new mentality because it's what people want to hear.  Which goes to show how little we've come with the issue of rape in our culture and how it needs to be improved.

Are you saying that the average person (or the average TV watcher) agrees with this horrendous drivel?

words fail me

Yeah, that's a level of cynicism toward humanity that not even I can muster.

Really, this just comes down to media as a whole being as atrocious as they've always been. These outlets are all on their last legs for a reason, and by the look of things, they've completely stopped caring because they know it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »

Now two teenage girls are being charged with threatening the life of the victim:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/03/teen-girls-charged-for-allegedly-threatening-steubenville-ohio-rape-victim/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies