In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:11:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities  (Read 41952 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »

I think I've discovered what Bandit's original point was in this thread. That only people living within the city limits of a city that is one of the top 11 largest in Kentucky should have the right to vote.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »

I got the point from the get-go.

But here's what does bother me about the urban/rural voting debate: Democrats saying "the cities are where the population is!" Not necessarily.....it's just that cities vote much more lopsidedly for Democrats than rural areas do for Republicans. Obama got 85% of the vote in Philadelphia...I don't see anywhere in PA where Romney got anything close to that percentage. Or what if Obama had only won Philly with 60 or 65% of the vote?

So yeah, I'm all for democracy, but would Democrats stop trying to fool people about the reason they win states while losing more land area?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »

But here's what does bother me about the urban/rural voting debate: Democrats saying "the cities are where the population is!" Not necessarily.....it's just that cities vote much more lopsidedly for Democrats than rural areas do for Republicans. Obama got 85% of the vote in Philadelphia...I don't see anywhere in PA where Romney got anything close to that percentage. Or what if Obama had only won Philly with 60 or 65% of the vote?

So yeah, I'm all for democracy, but would Democrats stop trying to fool people about the reason they win states while losing more land area?

The city of Cincinnati was heavily for Obama - maybe 75% or so. But there are multiple precincts in Hamilton County where Romney topped 80%, and there's one where he even got 100%.

Louisville was strongly for Obama, but there's precincts in Kentucky where Romney topped 80%.

An acre or a parcel of land doesn't vote, but a person does.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »

The city of Cincinnati was heavily for Obama - maybe 75% or so. But there are multiple precincts in Hamilton County where Romney topped 80%, and there's one where he even got 100%.

Louisville was strongly for Obama, but there's precincts in Kentucky where Romney topped 80%.

Precincts aren't counties or cities though. Is there a COUNTY in PA or OH where Romney got 75% or more of the vote?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not disputing this, but I am disputing the Democratic "Cities have more people! There's no one living in those Republican areas!" talking point about states like PA, MI, IL, etc.. In fact, if I remember correctly, in the 2000 election, even though Gore won the popular vote, there actually were MORE people in the counties Bush won. It's just that Gore won his counties more lopsidedly.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »

Precincts aren't counties or cities though. Is there a COUNTY in PA or OH where Romney got 75% or more of the vote?

In Ohio, Romney topped 75% in Holmes and Mercer counties.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »

And there's actually some counties in southern Kentucky where Romney well exceeded 80%.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

Obviously winning by such a margin in a rural area will count for much less than doing so in an urban area. I was thinking more if the rural areas COLLECTIVELY voted 70-90% for Republicans, but I didn't phrase my question that way so fair enough.

I see Romney cracked 70% in a few PA counties now that I bothered to look at it, but he didn't get 85% (what Obama got in Philly) anywhere.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »

I think this has become an issue of taxation without representation.

The larger cities are paying most of the taxes, but the outlying areas are getting most of the benefits. At the same time, the outlying areas are effectively controlling all of a state's electoral votes.

I'm sure you can find the same scam in other states. I bet Obama carried each of Indiana's 7 largest cities, even though Romney got all the electoral votes.

So, a region's share of the should be weighted to the amount of tax they pay? In that case, I suggest you look at this.
Hydera

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »

I think this has become an issue of taxation without representation.

The larger cities are paying most of the taxes, but the outlying areas are getting most of the benefits. At the same time, the outlying areas are effectively controlling all of a state's electoral votes.

I'm sure you can find the same scam in other states. I bet Obama carried each of Indiana's 7 largest cities, even though Romney got all the electoral votes.

So, a region's share of the should be weighted to the amount of tax they pay? In that case, I suggest you look at this.

It also doesn't make sense since the GOP won the 100,000+ incomes.

The poorest pay the lowest in tax rates.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/states/exitpolls/kentucky.html

A similar effect is when people say Obama won wealthy counties. When he lost the $100,000K+ group who pays higher taxes rates than the poor and contribute more to tax revenue than the poorest when in regards to income taxes.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

I remember going on to the DRA and putting each precinct in the state of Ohio into "districts" based on their voting % R and D. What you end up with is that the median voter lives in an area that is around 55% R, but there are a lot of precincts that are 80% D or 90% D and few that are 80% R and 90% R (not sure if there are any 90% R on the DRA containing more than 10 people; there would be a lot in Mercer County if you use 2012 numbers but it's still miniscule compared to the number of 90% D precincts).
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »

ITT: The OP argues for disenfranchising voters who don't agree with him or meet a suitable, arbitrary population density.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »

I don't get this thread.

Cities are more liberal, so they vote for Obama (shocking!). But in a presidential election, the state's total (unless you live in Maine or Nebraska) is all that matters for the Electoral Votes. Obama was crushed by more than 20 points in this state by Romney - that's why he gets no electoral votes. If you don't agree with the EC system, that's something for another day.

BTW, what were the results of Lexington City? Out of curiosity.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 07:34:28 PM »

I don't get this thread.

Cities are more liberal, so they vote for Obama (shocking!). But in a presidential election, the state's total (unless you live in Maine or Nebraska) is all that matters for the Electoral Votes. Obama was crushed by more than 20 points in this state by Romney - that's why he gets no electoral votes. If you don't agree with the EC system, that's something for another day.

BTW, what were the results of Lexington City? Out of curiosity.

Obama won Lexington, despite it being a consolidated city-county.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »

Bandit, your argument is that suburban and rural voters should have less weight than urban voters.  Don't you believe in "one man, one vote"?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2015, 02:43:33 PM »

Why are you people even responding to this? You're talking in circles with a robot.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »

In 2014, Dick Durbin only won fourteen of Illinois's 102 counties. Despite this, he won.

Is that fair?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »

The continuation of this thread that gets into the broader issue of rural vs urban voting patterns has been split and moved. Please feel free to continue that aspect of the topic on the new thread.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies