In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:06:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities  (Read 41993 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »

Bill Brady won 98 out of 102 counties in Illinois and still lost. Is that also unfair?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »

Bill Brady won 98 out of 102 counties in Illinois and still lost. Is that also unfair?

The GOP reaps what it sows.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

Does Kentucky have cities?!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »

But Obama surely won all one vote in New America right?  Isn't that what counts?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »

But Obama surely won all one vote in New America right?  Isn't that what counts?

Don't be so sure, since Jill Stein was on the ballot.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »

The GOP reaps what it sows.
That's not really answering the question, as I could throw the exact same response back at you for Democrats.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »

Nor surprising. More and more, in most elections around the world left=city, right=countryside (through, there is exceptions like Scandinavia).

There plenty of examples. Saying  left=city, right=countryside is really an oversimplyfication.

I'm quite aware. In my home area (Val-d'Or), the city is more right-wing than the rural areas around it.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »

The rural countryside is more powerful than the 11 biggest cities in Kentucky, especially the extremely republican south central part, so yes. It's just a part of being in a state where you're the opposite party of the state. I have to deal with the fact that Milwaukee and Madison control Wisconsin's vote most of the time.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »

Baltimore bosses this entire state around.

Well, maybe it needs to.

Boone and Jackson counties boss the entire state of Kentucky around, so fair is fair.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 03:50:10 PM by memphis »

Baltimore bosses this entire state around. Do I often disagree with the result of that? Yes. Do I wish it wasn't like that? Yes. But is it stupid to claim that anyone's vote should count more than anyone else's because of where they live? Double yes.
Baltimore City and County combined are only about a quarter of Maryland's population, but it's still more plausible than claiming that Boone and Jackson boss around KY when they make up a tiny percentage of population and aren't especially wealthy.
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »

In Kentucky, Obama won 10 of the state's 11 biggest cities. In fact, he won each of the 7 largest cities.

Yet Romney gets all 8 electoral votes.

Is that fair?

What kind of question is that?

God, douse this thread in fifty shades of petrol and burn it into the ground. I know this forum has a place for left-wing hackery, but I didn't know it could get this bad.

NB If I thought the OP was having a joke I wouldn't say this. But it seems plain it's no joke
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »

NB If I thought the OP was having a joke I wouldn't say this. But it seems plain it's no joke

The cities being denied fair representation is no joke. This is an issue of taxation without representation.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »

The cities being denied fair representation is no joke. This is an issue of taxation without representation.

Dude, I didn't realize you were this stupid. Cities don't get represented in elections, people do. People represent themselves by voting. A vote in rural Appalachia counts just as much as a vote in a big city.
GaussLaw
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »

Also, Obama lost most of those counties in which those cities reside.

Metros are far more important to elections than just the city proper.

For instance, the Houston metro is very Republican, while Houston proper is not.
Dr. Liberty
RPLiberty

Political Matrix
E: 7.23, S: -4.00

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 11:26:39 PM »

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »

Dude, I didn't realize you were this stupid. Cities don't get represented in elections, people do. People represent themselves by voting. A vote in rural Appalachia counts just as much as a vote in a big city.

Devil's advocate here but this is a Presidential election. People don't get represented (directly) in Presidential elections, the states do. In that respect a vote from like West Virginia is actually worth double a vote from New York (but half a vote from Wyoming).

When you think about it but would some sort of system of electoral votes based on municipal boundaries hypothetically be more fair than one based on entire states because it'd have the same flaws but people's votes would be more likely to matter, and count for their candidate of choice
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

LOL, never change Bandit.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »

Devil's advocate here but this is a Presidential election. People don't get represented (directly) in Presidential elections, the states do. In that respect a vote from like West Virginia is actually worth double a vote from New York (but half a vote from Wyoming).

When you think about it but would some sort of system of electoral votes based on municipal boundaries hypothetically be more fair than one based on entire states because it'd have the same flaws but people's votes would be more likely to matter, and count for their candidate of choice

Oh yeah, the little thing called the electoral college that distorts the representation of popular vote. I forgot about that, but in any case the winner of the popular vote of a state wins the electoral college votes of that state. So votes do matter, just more so in some states than others.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »

In Kentucky, Obama won 10 of the state's 11 biggest cities. In fact, he won each of the 7 largest cities.

Is that fair?

What kind of question is that?

God, douse this thread in fifty shades of petrol and burn it into the ground. I know this forum has a place for left-wing hackery, but I didn't know it could get this bad.

I urge you not to judge most Forum leftists based on Bandit. His case is......."special".
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »

Is that fair?

Romney won 63 out of 83 counties in Michigan, but Obama gets all 16 votes. Is that fair?

BTW - Obama won Covington? I know he didn't take Florence, but most of Northern Kentucky is as GOP as the Ohio Cincy suburbs.

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »

Yes and it wasn't even close.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »

As a Kentuckian who has spent quite some time in Louisville as well as the rural areas in Northern Kentucky, I don't understand Bandit's claims that Kentucky would be an Atlas Red state if it wasn't for "voter fraud" or whatever.  Outside of Louisville liberals are a small minority, albeit a very vocal one.  And even in Louisville you'll find a sizable number of conservatives.  Most people outside of Jefferson County (Louisville) are conservatives or moderates.  In Oldham County, which borders Jefferson County, two thirds of voters voted for Romney.  Obama didn't even win 55% of the vote in Jefferson County, which was his best county in the state (the other 3 counties he won he won with less than 50% of the vote).   In a Republican landslide, I would not be surprised to see every county in the state go Atlas Blue.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »

As a Kentuckian who has spent quite some time in Louisville as well as the rural areas in Northern Kentucky, I don't understand Bandit's claims that Kentucky would be an Atlas Red state if it wasn't for "voter fraud" or whatever.  Outside of Louisville liberals are a small minority, albeit a very vocal one.  And even in Louisville you'll find a sizable number of conservatives.  Most people outside of Jefferson County (Louisville) are conservatives or moderates.  In Oldham County, which borders Jefferson County, two thirds of voters voted for Romney.  Obama didn't even win 55% of the vote in Jefferson County, which was his best county in the state (the other 3 counties he won he won with less than 50% of the vote).   In a Republican landslide, I would not be surprised to see every county in the state go Atlas Blue.

Oldham County doesn't have nearly as many people as Jefferson County.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »

Oldham County doesn't have nearly as many people as Jefferson County.

But with about 1/6 of the population, if Jefferson goes 55-45 for the Dem in the two-party vote, the rest of the state only has to break 51-49 for the Pub to win the state.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies