In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:39:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In 2012 Obama won 10 of Kentucky's 11 largest cities  (Read 42062 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« on: August 19, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »

I got the point from the get-go.

But here's what does bother me about the urban/rural voting debate: Democrats saying "the cities are where the population is!" Not necessarily.....it's just that cities vote much more lopsidedly for Democrats than rural areas do for Republicans. Obama got 85% of the vote in Philadelphia...I don't see anywhere in PA where Romney got anything close to that percentage. Or what if Obama had only won Philly with 60 or 65% of the vote?

So yeah, I'm all for democracy, but would Democrats stop trying to fool people about the reason they win states while losing more land area?
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »

I got the point from the get-go.

But here's what does bother me about the urban/rural voting debate: Democrats saying "the cities are where the population is!" Not necessarily.....it's just that cities vote much more lopsidedly for Democrats than rural areas do for Republicans. Obama got 85% of the vote in Philadelphia...I don't see anywhere in PA where Romney got anything close to that percentage. Or what if Obama had only won Philly with 60 or 65% of the vote?

So yeah, I'm all for democracy, but would Democrats stop trying to fool people about the reason they win states while losing more land area?

The city of Cincinnati was heavily for Obama - maybe 75% or so. But there are multiple precincts in Hamilton County where Romney topped 80%, and there's one where he even got 100%.

Louisville was strongly for Obama, but there's precincts in Kentucky where Romney topped 80%.

Precincts aren't counties or cities though. Is there a COUNTY in PA or OH where Romney got 75% or more of the vote?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not disputing this, but I am disputing the Democratic "Cities have more people! There's no one living in those Republican areas!" talking point about states like PA, MI, IL, etc.. In fact, if I remember correctly, in the 2000 election, even though Gore won the popular vote, there actually were MORE people in the counties Bush won. It's just that Gore won his counties more lopsidedly.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

Obviously winning by such a margin in a rural area will count for much less than doing so in an urban area. I was thinking more if the rural areas COLLECTIVELY voted 70-90% for Republicans, but I didn't phrase my question that way so fair enough.

I see Romney cracked 70% in a few PA counties now that I bothered to look at it, but he didn't get 85% (what Obama got in Philly) anywhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies