William Shakespeare, Quentin Tarantino or Lena Dunham
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:32:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  William Shakespeare, Quentin Tarantino or Lena Dunham
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Who is the best scriptwriter?
Shakespeare

Tarantino

Dunham

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: William Shakespeare, Quentin Tarantino or Lena Dunham  (Read 7090 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 01:25:24 PM »

It's threads like these that make me wish the "No rules" rule applied to all Forum Community threads instead of just the Update thread...

Can I give permission to enact such a rule in this thread?

I'd be more interested in you answering the inconsistencies in your story about how the Orange St. Patrick's Day shirt thread got deleted.... I think I know the answer, but let's play this out just for funzies.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »

Like I said, I don't know, it could've either been pruned or I deleted it awhile ago for whatever reason, in the past browsing archives I have thought "wow that was kind of dumb" and deleted a thread. Google's caches stay around for a long time (hence the warning sometimes given that if you post something here you can't just expect to delete it later and have it be gone forever.) If you're implying I deleted it and then made the new one it would've been less work just to bump the old one you know (and you all know I'm certainly not prone against bumping old threads.)

Anyway my point is I don't care what anyone says in this thread. Say what you wish. I think as Torie noted the last couple days show that I am quite thick-skinned.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »

A big reason Shakespeare comes across as boring is that it has often been performed so boringly.

I think very few people can understand the language today.  Its rather like listening to people from the North of England talking - you get some very rough idea what is going on, but it isn't fun after about five minutes.
^^^^^^^
Biggest waste of high school. And that says a lot. He gets crazy respect because he's old.  The iambic pentameter is an impressive feat, but it's also a pretty stupid literary device that I find very distracting. It's like somebody is dribbling a basketball during every play. His storytelling isn't all that imaginative. He took a lot of ideas from others, as the idea of plagiarism wasn't yet a thing.  
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

Like I said, I don't know, it could've either been pruned or I deleted it awhile ago for whatever reason, in the past browsing archives I have thought "wow that was kind of dumb" and deleted a thread. Google's caches stay around for a long time (hence the warning sometimes given that if you post something here you can't just expect to delete it later and have it be gone forever.) If you're implying I deleted it and then made the new one it would've been less work just to bump the old one you know (and you all know I'm certainly not prone against bumping old threads.)

Well we know it wasn't auto-pruned.  That doesn't happen to 2-year-old threads.

So your story is that at some point, you thought "Wow, that's a dumb poll", and deleted it, only to later repost a poll that was basically the same thing?  You're beginning to sound like Bushie... that just doesn't add up, unless you're bipolar when it comes to your views of your own polls.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »

So your story is that at some point, you thought "Wow, that's a dumb poll", and deleted it, only to later repost a poll that was basically the same thing?  You're beginning to sound like Bushie... that just doesn't add up, unless you're bipolar when it comes to your views of your own polls.

Actually being "bipolar" on polls might be a good description, since my views can change on them based on a lot of things, including alcohol consumed before making them. I'm sure this isn't the first time I deleted a poll in the archive and made a similar one later.

What's also quite likely is that I wasn't bothered by the poll itself but rather something incredibly offensive that I said later in it (considering the things I said about Irish at the time you're stating it wouldn't be surprising). I know I deleted a lot of stuff with such stuff in it around late 2011/early 2012, my whole finding Jesus time. Around that era wasn't it common that I accused Irish-Americans of being Gaddafi sympathizers? That might've been it actually.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

Do you often go back and read through your old polls randomly, weeks after they were made?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

The language of Shakespeare is so similar to what's spoken now that (famously, gloriously, etc) if something sounds dirty, then it always is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »

Do you often go back and read through your old polls randomly, weeks after they were made?

Yes actually. Or more likely I just do a search for a certain query on a whim and if it was mentioned in a poll I've made I'm more likely to delete it. I actually deleted one last night through while doing this (something about Serb secessionists in the early 90s)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »

A big reason Shakespeare comes across as boring is that it has often been performed so boringly.

I think very few people can understand the language today.  Its rather like listening to people from the North of England talking - you get some very rough idea what is going on, but it isn't fun after about five minutes.
^^^^^^^
Biggest waste of high school. And that says a lot. He gets crazy respect because he's old.  The iambic pentameter is an impressive feat, but it's also a pretty stupid literary device that I find very distracting. It's like somebody is dribbling a basketball during every play. His storytelling isn't all that imaginative. He took a lot of ideas from others, as the idea of plagiarism wasn't yet a thing.  

You must have a terminally dull mind. Of course that was an established fact already, but there's nowt wrong with additional confirmation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »

And BTW Inks, if it was on the Off Topic board, it could've easily been autopruned. See the timestamps: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=26.1680

I should also point out that while the poll still appears a result, none of the replies do and it's not readable as a cache. I've seen people report pulling up Google caches of deleted blog entries and the like from weeks later.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »

^^^^^^^

You must have a terminally dull mind. Of course that was an established fact already, but there's nowt wrong with additional confirmation.
My goodness. You are ever so clever. Roll Eyes
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »

^^^^^^^

You're doing most of his work for him.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »

^^^^^^^

From whom did he plagiarize?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »

Yes actually. Or more likely I just do a search for a certain query on a whim and if it was mentioned in a poll I've made I'm more likely to delete it. I actually deleted one last night through while doing this (something about Serb secessionists in the early 90s)

And why do you delete those polls?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »

^^^^^^^

Yes. By definition, anybody who dislikes Shakespeare must have a dull mind. You guys are ever so smart. Nobody else deserves to live on the same planet as the two of you.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »

^^^^^^^

Yes. By definition, anybody who dislikes Shakespeare must have a dull mind. You guys are ever so smart. Nobody else deserves to live on the same planet as the two of you.

Would you answer my question, please?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »

As just one example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tragical_History_of_Romeus_and_Juliet
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »

I see what you did here :/
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

I pretty much agree with Dibble.  I've never heard of Lena Dunham, and I generally like Tarantino's work (except for Inglorious Basterds), but Shakespeare's too revolutionary to dismiss.  I'd even say that without him, we probably wouldn't have all the great screenwriters we do today.  Though I know you won't agree with that sentiment, BRTD.

I'm not saying Skakespeare sucks, but following the logic of this wouldn't that also mean that the Cro Magnon is the greatest man, since his discovery of fire influenced generations of man afterward?

I mean, how would society survive without fire?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »

^^^^^^^

Anybody who speaks English as a first language and bitches about iambic pentameter at the very least has a tin ear for anything resembling poetry. It's literally the most generic form of English scansion that there is. It's called 'blank verse' for a reason.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »

Actually being "bipolar" on polls might be a good description, since my views can change on them based on a lot of things, including alcohol consumed before making them. I'm sure this isn't the first time I deleted a poll in the archive and made a similar one later.

What's also quite likely is that I wasn't bothered by the poll itself but rather something incredibly offensive that I said later in it (considering the things I said about Irish at the time you're stating it wouldn't be surprising). I know I deleted a lot of stuff with such stuff in it around late 2011/early 2012, my whole finding Jesus time. Around that era wasn't it common that I accused Irish-Americans of being Gaddafi sympathizers? That might've been it actually.

And you are not hostile to Irish Americans now?!

If there is one achievement I could give you, Zachary, it's your ability to make me understand how black people feel when idiot white racists spout off Ku Klux Klan talking points.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »

If there is one achievement I could give you, Zachary, it's your ability to make me understand how black people feel when idiot white racists spout off Ku Klux Klan talking points.

You can own him all you want, dude, but he will never understand. More likely, he'll accuse you of loving the IRA.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »

And why do you delete those polls?

Because I'm embarrassed or ashamed of something in them (not necessarily the original poll itself.)

I get along with plenty of Irish Americans. I get along with Nathan and apparently he is, and as I mentioned one of my best friends in real life is. I get along with patrick1 most of the time. I even get along with actual Irish people like oakvale sometimes. Not all Irish Americans are obnoxious douchebags, nor even a majority. It's just the minority is REALLY vocal.

And you don't see me accusing all Irish Americans of being Gaddafi supporters, do you?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2013, 05:32:51 PM by Parks And What You Meant To Me »

You can own him all you want, dude, but he will never understand. More likely, he'll accuse you of loving the IRA.

As I stated in another thread, one of my best friends in real life, who I go to shows with all the time, is Irish. Do you think I have ever accused him of loving the IRA?

Also Mecha is from a Protestant family anyway so it would make even less sense for him to love the IRA than it would for me (his family would be Unionists in Northern Ireland.)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »

As I stated in another thread, one of my best friends in real life, who I go to shows with all the time, is Irish. Do you think I have ever accused him of loving the IRA?

Also Mecha is from a Protestant family anyway so it would make even less sense for him to love the IRA than it would for me (his family would be Unionists in Northern Ireland.)

Regardless of how I would be if I was in Northern Ireland, that doesn't change the fact that you've made some very dumb and ignorant statements in the past.  Like this:

IRC Chatlog, sometime last year:

BRTD: "LOL, I can imagine the "scene" in Ireland is miserable."
Mechaman: "BRTD, have you even been to Ireland?"
BRTD: "No, but from what I've witnessed from the diaspora I'm guessing it must be a pretty miserable place."
Mechaman: "That's kinda racist, ya'know?"

Of course, this isn't the exact words (which nevertheless sound pretty stupid), but you still said something very close to that effect.  Now sure, I don't hate you and in fact consider you a forum buddy.  With that said, I think that doesn't prevent me from having the ability, in fact the right, to call you out for your stupidity.
Just saying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies