SC-1 special election - May 7th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:28:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC-1 special election - May 7th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Author Topic: SC-1 special election - May 7th  (Read 78249 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 07, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

Karen Tumulty ‏@ktumulty 33m
Interviewed about a dozen voters at @ColbertBuschSC home polling place in Mt Pleasant. All but one had voted for @MarkSanford #sc

No kidding. So a handful of SC-01 voters are voting for Sanford just like a 'handful' of Billy Long's constituents don't like sequestration! 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #376 on: May 07, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »

Interviewed about a dozen voters at @ColbertBuschSC home polling place in Mt Pleasant. All but one had voted for @MarkSanford #sc

No kidding. So a handful of SC-01 voters are voting for Sanford just like a 'handful' of Billy Long's constituents don't like sequestration!  

This is a confusing theory, because in a few hours, Sanford will have acquired thousands of votes.

Eh, I'm only making inferences from what you've posted.

And I'm sure there are likewise  thousands of voters in MO-07 who don't want sequestration.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #377 on: May 07, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2013, 01:21:30 PM by BigSkyBob »

Sanford: 51%
Colbert Busch: 47%
Platt: 2%

Assuming the accuracy of the RRH and PPP polls, I would add a point for Sanford due to momentum, and a few points for turnout converging towards the norm as Republican enthusiasm increases. That would be about,

Sanford 51.5%
Colbert Busch 46.5%
Platt <2%

BigSkyBob

« Reply #378 on: May 07, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »

This is a confusing theory, because in a few hours, Sanford will have acquired thousands of votes.

Eh, I'm only making inferences from what you've posted.

And I'm sure there are likewise  thousands of voters in MO-07 who don't want sequestration.

There might very well be residents of MO-7 on all sides of the sequestration debate. What belies the narcissism of the political class is your jumping from the fact that some folks in MO-7 are for cutting government spending to the conclusion that MO-7 is lousy place to live. Most people who aren't obsessed with politics judge a location on things like the weather, the cost of living, the availability of jobs, and the cultural and recreational opportunities.  MO-7 has grown faster than the national average for a number of decades now. That is people have voted with their feet, and vote they have cast has been for the desirability of the Missouri Ozarks.  Are these hundreds of thousands of people wrong? Or were you, Miles?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #379 on: May 07, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »

There might very well be residents of MO-7 on all sides of the sequestration debate. What belies the narcissism of the political class is your jumping from the fact that some folks in MO-7 are for cutting government spending to the conclusion that MO-7 is lousy place to live. Most people who aren't obsessed with politics judge a location on things like the weather, the cost of living, the availability of jobs, and the cultural and recreational opportunities.  MO-7 has grown faster than the national average for a number of decades now. That is people have voted with their feet, and vote they have cast has been for the desirability of the Missouri Ozarks.  Are these hundreds of thousands of people wrong? Or were you, Miles?

I already said that there were other factors that shape my perception of Missouri. If I judged places solely on politics, I don't think I'd be living where I do now, Bob.

I think you're reading too far into this, as you usually do. I was just floating an idea. No need for you to attack me.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #380 on: May 07, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »

There might very well be residents of MO-7 on all sides of the sequestration debate. What belies the narcissism of the political class is your jumping from the fact that some folks in MO-7 are for cutting government spending to the conclusion that MO-7 is lousy place to live. Most people who aren't obsessed with politics judge a location on things like the weather, the cost of living, the availability of jobs, and the cultural and recreational opportunities.  MO-7 has grown faster than the national average for a number of decades now. That is people have voted with their feet, and vote they have cast has been for the desirability of the Missouri Ozarks.  Are these hundreds of thousands of people wrong? Or were you, Miles?

I already said that there were other factors that shape my perception of Missouri. If I judged places solely on politics, I don't think I'd be living where I do now, Bob.

I think you're reading too far into this, as you usually do. I was just floating an idea. No need for you to attack me.

Now, I didn't read anything into what you wrote. I read what you wrote, so did Krazen. You simply weren't "floating an idea," you were attacking on a personal level an entire class of people simply because you didn't like the politics of some of those folks.

Whether the fact that you don't judge the folks in Louisiana by the same standard you judged the folks in the Missouri Ozarks is evidence of your innocence or your hypocrisy is itself an interesting question.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #381 on: May 07, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »

Now, I didn't read anything into what you wrote. I read what you wrote, so did Krazen. You simply weren't "floating an idea," you were attacking on a personal level an entire class of people simply because you didn't like the politics of some of those folks.

Whether the fact that you don't judge the folks in Louisiana by the same standard you judged the folks in the Missouri Ozarks is evidence of your innocence or your hypocrisy is itself an interesting question.

Do you still not understand? Some people in Missouri are in favor of sequestration. Good for them. Its not a place I'd want to live myself because of other factors.

A handful of people in SC are voting for Sanford just like a handful of people in Missouri don't like sequestration. I was trying to compare those groups using krazen's logic. Thats all I was doing.

I don't have different standards. You pulled that out of your ass.

Its quite a shame you'll take any chance you can to cheap shot me.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #382 on: May 07, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »

We have these things called elections and the number of voters that support Mr. Sanford will be reasonably well counted and may yet well be a majority. The number of voters that oppose sequestration in Missouri's 7th district is an unknown number in which any fellow can make whatever assumption they choose to suit whatever goal that they have in mind.

Ah! Thanks, krazen. We've only been election-watching together now for a few years, but thanks for giving me the memo!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, I was seeing how far I could go with it. I was...curious.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #383 on: May 07, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »

I'll go my traditionally super pessimistic route and say Sanford wins this comfortably with 55%ish.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #384 on: May 07, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »

I haven't been following this closely, but I think Sanford wins by at least 5 points.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #385 on: May 07, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »

3 point Sanford win is my guess. Or a recount that gives Sanford a very narrow win.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2013, 05:46:24 PM by JerryArkansas »

Does anyone have a website were we could get live results from.++

Edit, I found a website.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #387 on: May 07, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »

Politico usually has the quickest results, polls close at 6.

Recounts: It would start on Friday and be completed "ASAP." <1% margin required.

This being SC, there's been an anti-ECB push poll: "Would you vote for her if you knew she had an abortion?"

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113133/elizabeth-colbert-busch-abortion-push-poll-contemptible-smear
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #388 on: May 07, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »

The results page on the State Elections Commission's site.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #389 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »

All this pettiness and crap for a meaningless special in a heavily Republican congressional district.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #390 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »

All this pettiness and crap for a meaningless special in a heavily Republican congressional district.

Seems to be what happens when a race gets nationalized. I hope those calls backfire, because that's really disgusting behavior.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #391 on: May 07, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »

Polls are closed.

http://www.politico.com/2013-election/results/house/south-carolina/?hp=lb
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #392 on: May 07, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2013, 06:26:32 PM by ajc0918 »

ECB 42.7%- 331
Sanford 56.8%- 441

Less than 1% in
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #393 on: May 07, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

HuffPo seems to be updating faster.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #394 on: May 07, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »

1st District
0.3% Reporting
M. Sanford   GOP   56.8%    441
E. Colbert Busch   Dem   42.7%    331
E. Platt   Grn   0.5%    4
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #395 on: May 07, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »

Up to 61-38 Sanford with Berkeley and Colleton only reporting.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #396 on: May 07, 2013, 06:29:10 PM »

From twitter:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I believe I read somewhere that ECB camp wanted 40% or more of the votes to come from here.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #397 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:37 PM »

<1% REPORTING
Colbert Busch
47.5%

Sanford
51.9%
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything