Oregon considering automatic voter registration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:30:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oregon considering automatic voter registration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oregon considering automatic voter registration  (Read 3875 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2013/03/oregon_secretary_of_state_want.html

This is what Democrats should be pushing, not just online and election-day registration.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »

Freedom State.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2013, 10:45:32 PM by greenforest32 »

I was getting jealous with Connecticut and California (and Maryland?) recently passing election-day registration but hopefully we can up the entire game.

I'll be surprised if it gets Republican votes.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »

Is that basically what North Dakota has?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2013, 10:58:50 PM by greenforest32 »

Yeah, North Dakota's system is similar to automatic registration in that you shouldn't be turned away due to lack of registration (provided eligible = registered).

http://www.nd.gov/sos/electvote/voting/voter-qualifi.html

Though I wonder how you would handle postal (early) voting with no registration?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

Yeah, North Dakota's system is similar to automatic registration in that you shouldn't be turned away due to lack of registration (provided eligible = registered).

http://www.nd.gov/sos/electvote/voting/voter-qualifi.html

Though I wonder how you would handle postal (early) voting with no registration?

Well, I guess it is a little different in that there is actual registration here. Anyways, this is a good idea. I assume it's easy to check for citizenship with the Social Security number that the DMV probably has. If so, opponents won't have any valid reason against this.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:12:57 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:01:57 AM »

A no-brainer measure, which is why Republicans will bitterly oppose it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:43 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 05:43:15 AM »

They're just defending their monopoly on no-brains. Cheesy
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »

Yup, the election-day registration abolishing (Maine in 2011, Montana in 2011, Montana in 2013, Wisconsin "considering") and early-vote cutting (Ohio, Florida, etc) party is morally opposed to expanding voter registration through automation:

http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2013/03/republican_lawmakers_express_c.html

It would be nice if Democrats unanimously supported this but even in that best case scenario Republicans could still have leverage to stop it via the 3/5 supermajority requirement to raise taxes in Oregon. Democrats don't have a 3/5 supermajority in either chamber and the state's hospital provider tax (partially funds Medicaid) is due to expire this year with legislators wanting to extend it which apparently falls under the 3/5 rule meaning that Republican votes will be required.

That will be separate but tied in to the Medicaid expansion which I don't think will fall under the 3/5 rule since the the federal government provides 100% funding for the first three years meaning no offsets such as increased taxes are required in 2013.

We'll see what happens from now (the legislative session ends on July 13).
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »

Democrats really should pass this wherever they're in power. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 01:37:27 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 01:48:55 AM »

A few other notes:

Because the US does not have a uniform address-based CRR (Central Residence Registry), which we have here, that tracks every move in and out of a city, what about the following solutions ?

The OR Sec. of State wants to use several registers to automatically register most people like the driver license database etc.

But: This won't register all people, just about 90-95%.

So, do you think it would be possible in the US if the government sets up a centralized database in which all hospitals register every newborn baby in the US automatically to vote ?

After 120 years, virtually everyone would be registered to vote automatically.

Some experts would have to figure though what would happen with updates in the database status if the person moves, or dies or is born outside the US etc.

Also, persons who are given citizenship by the US must be added by the Ministry automatically to that database.

Of course, the US registration system right now and even with the above changes is a big mess and would be much better off if they installed the system we have where everyone is automatically registered and sent election information cards ahead of the election with the precinct name and address on.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:14 AM »

So, do you think it would be possible in the US if the government sets up a centralized database in which all hospitals register every newborn baby in the US automatically to vote ?

I mean, for anyone who didn't already fall into the 90-95% with DMV records, that baby would have an 18-year-stale mailing address by the time she was eligible.

But automatic voter registration based on public records in a vote-by-mail state would be pretty awesome.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:21 AM »

I mean, for anyone who didn't already fall into the 90-95% with DMV records, that baby would have an 18-year-stale mailing address by the time she was eligible.

But automatic voter registration based on public records in a vote-by-mail state would be pretty awesome.

Of course, but there could be some provision that parents notify the government agency of an address change or face a penalty.

Isn't that the law in CA already, that drivers have to inform the DMV within a certain period if they move to another address ?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 02:10:14 AM »

Of course, but there could be some provision that parents notify the government agency of an address change or face a penalty.

Isn't that the law in CA already, that drivers have to inform the DMV within a certain period if they move to another address ?

I think the law about reporting change of address exists in most states (I may be wrong) but it's not enforced.  People would freak out if it was seriously enforced.  People would also freak out if you required them to report when their children changed address for the sake of voter registration.  Introducing major additional bureaucracy/cost would make universal registration a losing issue pretty much instantly, I think.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:20 AM »

I think the law about reporting change of address exists in most states (I may be wrong) but it's not enforced.  People would freak out if it was seriously enforced.  People would also freak out if you required them to report when their children changed address for the sake of voter registration.  Introducing major additional bureaucracy/cost would make universal registration a losing issue pretty much instantly, I think.

How about an encrypted hash key of their DNA for identification?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »

How about an encrypted hash key of their DNA for identification?

I'M ON BOARD!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 05:26:28 AM »

Um... wot?

Well, I guess the registered individual's "right" is "more powerful" if he essentially casts additional fragments of votes for unregistered people.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 02:47:31 AM »

Provided this would only register those who would have been otherwise able to register on their own, what exactly is a legitimate reason for opposing this? I think it's absurd that anyone otherwise eligible to vote be denied the right to vote solely because they are not registered. Election Day registration does a good job to fix that, but this proposal is quite a bit better. So long as Republicans continue to be the party of voting restrictions, Democrats should pass proposals like these wherever possible.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »

Interesting article on the Oregon proposal and automatic registration in general: http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/gov-oregon-considers-automatic-voter-registration.html

The legislature didn't act on the automatic registration bill at the initial hearing and there's supposed to be another hearing in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, the state house did pass that aforementioned bill allowing 16-year-olds to register to vote[1] (the voting age remains 18). And only one Republican supported it so you can guess how the vote would fall on automatic registration.

[1] http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2013/HB2988/
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »

BRAVO, OREGON!!!
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »

Wise move. Should happen nation-wide.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 01:18:35 AM »

Interesting article on the Oregon proposal and automatic registration in general: http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/gov-oregon-considers-automatic-voter-registration.html

Another reason to dislike that smarmy little troll.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies