How do you pronounce ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:13:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How do you pronounce ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Julia Gillard ?
Chill-aaaaaar

Chill-ard

Gill-aaaaaaar

Gill-ard

Other (please post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: How do you pronounce ...  (Read 7755 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:07:11 AM »

Options 1 or 2 for me, since it sounds kinda French.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:13:57 AM »

Sometimes I pronounce it even as "chill-uhd", without the "R".

Almost similar to "chillout" ... Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:19:12 AM »

Gill-ahrd
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:11 AM »

Option 4.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2013, 06:31:47 PM by Mr. Morden »

In Gillard's address to the US Congress, Boehner mangles the pronunciation of her name, mostly the "Julia" by putting undue emphasis on the second syllable, saying "Joo-LEE-ah" at about 2:30 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K8CYsKr9XA

Which is kind of ironic, since I've twice heard one of the news readers on an Australian radio station mangle the pronunciation of "Boehner", referring to him as John Boner.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »

Eh, he mangles it himself so he's fair game.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »

freedom fighter.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »

I would think with a proper Aussie accent, you wouldn't pronounce the R either. So it would be "GILL-awd"
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2013, 11:17:24 AM by Χahar »

I speak American English, so I pronounce it [ˈd͡ʒʷuli.ə ˈgɪlɚd̥]. The final consonant is only partially voiced.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »

What the hello is that?  Arabic?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »

I don't think I ever have.

I guess if I had to, I'd pronounce it the way it's spelled.  Julia as in Julia Child, and Gillard with the first syllable as in the aftershave Gillette and the last syllable the same as the last syllable as in a crusty sourdough batard.  

But I've never seen her talking on TV so I suppose I have no idea how it should be pronounced.  For that matter, outside this forum I can't imagine ever discussing her, and since it's a text only forum, not an auditory one, I can't really see why or how it matters.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »

Gill-ard - Option 4.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »

International Phonetic Alphabet.  Arabic looks nothing like that...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »

Pushtoon then.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »

I have no idea how the "oe/ö" sound came to be pronounced as a long a sound in (American?) English. It's very weird. And I have no idea what kind of weirdo pronounces "Julia" like that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »

Still no.  Pashto is pretty close to the Arabic alphabet, with a few changes.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »

I have no idea how the "oe/ö" sound came to be pronounced as a long a sound in (American?) English. It's very weird. And I have no idea what kind of weirdo pronounces "Julia" like that.

It's not just "Boener"' either. Maybe a German speaker can help me out here... My mother's maiden name is "Frobel" (from Froebel/Fröbel) and I've been told it's pronounced in German similar to FREW-buhl. However, her family pronounces it FRO-buhl. Anyways, never would I pronounced it FRAY-buhl.  However, names like Boener and Toews use the "AY" sound. What's up with that? Are they spelled that way in German, or do they use the umlaut.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »

I speak American English, so I pronounce it [ˈd͡ʒʷuli.ə ˈgɪlɚd̥]. The final consonant is only partially voiced.

Really?  I've always pronounced it in my head as /d͡ʒuliə gɪˈlɑɻd/.  I guess I haven't been watching enough TV to hear how her last name is pronounced Undecided
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

It's not just "Boener"' either. Maybe a German speaker can help me out here... My mother's maiden name is "Frobel" (from Froebel/Fröbel) and I've been told it's pronounced in German similar to FREW-buhl. However, her family pronounces it FRO-buhl. Anyways, never would I pronounced it FRAY-buhl.  However, names like Boener and Toews use the "AY" sound. What's up with that? Are they spelled that way in German, or do they use the umlaut.

Fröbel would be pronounced here like "Frö-bl" or "Frö-wö" (Salzburg/Bavarian dialect).

John Böhner (the original name of what is now "Boehner") would be pronounced as "Böh-ner" or "Böh-na".

Of course you would have to learn how to pronounce the "ö" first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09goWsYJ4EY
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

Really?  I've always pronounced it in my head as /d͡ʒuliə gɪˈlɑɻd/.  I guess I haven't been watching enough TV to hear how her last name is pronounced Undecided

The stress is certainly on the penultimate syllable. /ɻd/ strikes me as an odd combination. Would that be [ɻɖ]?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »

laziness and ignorance.  Even prior to importing German proper nouns into English, the transition from bo to bö in Old High German stemmed from laziness.  Maybe some linguist (ilikeverin?) can put a better spin on it, but I think languages evolve through laziness and ignorance.  The official line is that the sound is moved to the front of the mouth to accommodate another syllable.  Lohr becomes Löhrer, for example.  The prefix Um- means something like the English prefix para- and the laut is loud, so umlaut is basically "sound nearby" or "sound around."  But I really think that in Old German the process of the umlaut is the product of laziness, just like elision in French and Arabic probably evolved via laziness of the speakers.  (Umlaut can also refer to the actual diaresis, the diacritical mark above an a, o, or u, but I'm talking about the act of the umlaut.)  Ilikeverin can probably clarify this if he wants to.  I think he's our resident language geek.

I call him boner.  He calls himself behner.  Neither are proper German pronunciations--as Tenderbranson points out, hochdeutsch is non-rhotic and the sounded-nearby Ö is something the English just don't have.  If it helps, my second-grade German teacher said to make your mouth in the shape of an O ("long-O" in English) and your tongue in the shape of what English-speakers call the "schwa."  I find that to be a pretty reasonable facsimile.  In any event I still prefer to call him Boner, but I suppose if I met him in person I'd probably pronounce it the way he likes to.  

I don't call Julia anything.  Can't imagine why I would ever need to call her anything.  I do know that if I were called upon to formally introduce a person to an audience I'd damned sure learn how he or she likes his or her name pronounced.  Then again, there are many things that I'd do differently than Boner does.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 02:12:29 PM »

He knows.  Opebo claimed at one point to have a Masters in English.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »

What does having a Masters in English have to do with learning those little squiggles?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »

Spellings of personal names with oe instead of ö exist in Germany - ö being originally a ligature of o and e.

If you unround the ø (this the IPA sign for the sound you want), you do get the first half of what you describe as ay (rendered e in IPA... it's certainly not in any way related to anything describable as an "a".) So what he's doing makes sense - it's what you get when you pass down the correct pronounciation to descendants who can't speak German. It's mangled as opposed to simply mispronounced, which is what your mother's people seem to be doing - comparable to the pronounciations of the many French-derived American river names.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »

With a burr. There would also be a risk of a weirdly harsh 'a' sound, though that wouldn't be certain.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies