University of Tennessee defunds "Sex Week"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:44:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  University of Tennessee defunds "Sex Week"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: University of Tennessee defunds "Sex Week"  (Read 3973 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »

This story is just plain bizarre

By Todd Starnes

Organizers of the University of Tennessee’s first-ever “Sex Week” will have to find a new source of funding after embattled university officials reversed course and announced they will not fund the controversial program with state tax dollars.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »

Prude country.  Of course the fact that a 'sex week' is needed/attempted is evidence of the underlying prudery just as much as the fact that is has been quashed.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

Prude country.  Of course the fact that a 'sex week' is needed/attempted is evidence of the underlying prudery just as much as the fact that is has been quashed.

Yeah, this is what I agree with.....I mean c'mon, by colllege these kids need training.  Jesus.  Prude country indeed!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »

Yeah, this is what I agree with.....I mean c'mon, by colllege these kids need training.  Jesus.  Prude country indeed!

However, I do think it is in fact needed, alas.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »

Yet another sensational non-issue brought to the public's attention by Fox News to rile them up and distract them from a substantive debate over real issues. It's too early in the year for the War on Christmas so we get this drivel.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »

Love the top comment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Your biological urges can be reversed in just one week or your money back!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

It's a waste of taxpayer money.  If someone wants to go to a workshop on how to perform oral sex, they should do it on their own dime...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »

Love the top comment:

Hey now. A week-long abstinence course seems like it could have great comedy value.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »

It's a waste of taxpayer money.  If someone wants to go to a workshop on how to perform oral sex, they should do it on their own dime...

That's crazy.  The rich don't have to go down on anybody.  This is a job skill for the poor, Inks.  
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »

Next week they will defund "Plan B Week" and in a month they will defund "Obtain a Safe and Legal Abortion Week".

Then they will ask where all the student pregnancies came from.
Link
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »

C'mon now.  You know full well that wasn't the bulk of what was being taught.  And seriously considering how many taxpayer funded universities have a rock climbing wall this seems an odd place to draw the line for activities you should do on your own dime.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »

Yet another sensational non-issue brought to the public's attention by Fox News to rile them up and distract them from a substantive debate over real issues.

Accurately describes the corporate backed media in its entirety.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »

Why? Surely a nation of husbands and boyfriends whose wives and girlfriends know how to give a good blowjob (and vice versa) would be more productive and happier. Many divorces are caused by sexual incompatibility or infidelity due to problems in the bedroom. Shouldn't we want fewer divorces and stronger families in this country?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »

C'mon now.  You know full well that wasn't the bulk of what was being taught.  And seriously considering how many taxpayer funded universities have a rock climbing wall this seems an odd place to draw the line for activities you should do on your own dime.

This is a student-run event.  Rock climbing walls are often used for actual classes.  If you want to debate the issue of having such classes, that's a different story.

Many universities also require their students to pay for recreational equipment and activities.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »

Love the top comment:

Hey now. A week-long abstinence course seems like it could have great comedy value.

I technically had one at Catholic high school.  Three days at the end of freshman year at Catholic church retreat.  Thankfully, though, the high school was run by people who didn't want us to be idiots.  "Coincidentally" our school taught biology freshman year and the teacher decided to make the last month of school about human biology, pretty much setting us all up to think everything we heard on the retreat was a huge joke and to not take it seriously.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »

Why? Surely a nation of husbands and boyfriends whose wives and girlfriends know how to give a good blowjob (and vice versa) would be more productive and happier. Many divorces are caused by sexual incompatibility or infidelity due to problems in the bedroom. Shouldn't we want fewer divorces and stronger families in this country?

I'm guessing the types of people who go years in a marriage performing poorly in the bedroom are not the types of people who would attend a free university class on sex.
Link
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »

It's a waste of taxpayer money.  If someone wants to go to a workshop on how to perform oral sex, they should do it on their own dime...

C'mon now.  You know full well that wasn't the bulk of what was being taught.  And seriously considering how many taxpayer funded universities have a rock climbing wall this seems an odd place to draw the line for activities you should do on your own dime.

This is a student-run event.  Rock climbing walls are often used for actual classes.  If you want to debate the issue of having such classes, that's a different story.

Many universities also require their students to pay for recreational equipment and activities.

Isn't sex a recreational activity?  I pretty sure some public funds are used to support recreational activities.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »

I don't care if public funds are used for recreational activities or sex classes.  If public funds were  used to get this going, and people were charged so that the money was made back, I'd say go for it.  But that's not what's happening here.
Link
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »

I don't care if public funds are used for recreational activities or sex classes.  If public funds were  used to get this going, and people were charged so that the money was made back, I'd say go for it.  But that's not what's happening here.

The amount of public grants that go into universities that are not paid back is gigantic compared to the pittance spent on this event.  That can't be the reason you are objecting.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »

If public funds were  used to get this going, and people were charged so that the money was made back.

As a fiscal conservative, that is the opposite of what you should support.  Public money should only be used on that which the free market cannot support.  Subsidizing a profitable sex fair would be waste, an unnecessary government intrusion into the market.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »

If public funds were  used to get this going, and people were charged so that the money was made back.

As a fiscal conservative, that is the opposite of what you should support.  Public money should only be used on that which the free market cannot support.  Subsidizing a profitable sex fair would be waste, an unnecessary government intrusion into the market.

If it's private, I'd agree.  If it's turned into a university event that brings money back to the university, thus requiring less tax dollars, I'd object.

But here, where it's solely student-run, taxpayer money shouldn't be used.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »

The amount of public grants that go into universities that are not paid back is gigantic compared to the pittance spent on this event.  That can't be the reason you are objecting.

Then what's the reason for my objection?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »

I agree with opebo.  In the end, this is just prudery.  America is so immature when it comes to sex it's unbelievable. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »

I agree with opebo.  In the end, this is just prudery.  America is so immature when it comes to sex it's unbelievable. 

How is it "prudery" to say that you don't want to pay for other people's sex classes?  Will you send me a check to pay for part of an oral sex class?  How does $5 sound?  That's not too much.... I'm sure you can afford it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies