Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:51:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 61
Author Topic: Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog  (Read 174170 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »

The competition is slightly better in the House - 22 of 105 seats have candidates from both parties.

Dark red - Unopposed D
Dark blue - Unopposed R
Purple - Unopposed I
Red - No R running
Blue - No D running
Green - Both major parties have candidates

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #351 on: September 29, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »

Thanks, Miles!

Yes, i noticed that too...  The run-off in November will be almost formality: probably no more then 5 Senate seats and about 10-12 in House... What about an ideological orientation of candidates (mainly Democrats, because you can never realistically expect more then "pragmatic conservative" from Republican candidates in Louisiana, and even that - rarely..)?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »

Thanks, Miles!

Yes, i noticed that too...  The run-off in November will be almost formality: probably no more then 5 Senate seats and about 10-12 in House... What about an ideological orientation of candidates (mainly Democrats, because you can never realistically expect more then "pragmatic conservative" from Republican candidates in Louisiana, and even that - rarely..)?

Republicans control the LA legislature...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »

Thanks, Miles!

Yes, i noticed that too...  The run-off in November will be almost formality: probably no more then 5 Senate seats and about 10-12 in House... What about an ideological orientation of candidates (mainly Democrats, because you can never realistically expect more then "pragmatic conservative" from Republican candidates in Louisiana, and even that - rarely..)?

Okay- correct.

I think he's asking about races that have members of the same party but from different factions running against eachother. Yes, I'm putting together a few races to watch for those too.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »

Thanks, Miles!

I know that....
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »

Thanks, Miles!

Yes, i noticed that too...  The run-off in November will be almost formality: probably no more then 5 Senate seats and about 10-12 in House... What about an ideological orientation of candidates (mainly Democrats, because you can never realistically expect more then "pragmatic conservative" from Republican candidates in Louisiana, and even that - rarely..)?

Okay- correct.

I think he's asking about races that have members of the same party but from different factions running against eachother. Yes, I'm putting together a few races to watch for those too.

Exactly)))
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #356 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »

Is that a common problem in American state legislatures? Seems ... very poor for state democracy.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:22 PM »

^ Yeah, its not that uncommon. In NC last year, for example, 20/50 Senators were unopposed and 60/120 House members were (at least in the general election).
gespb19
United States

« Reply #358 on: September 30, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 11:54:00 PM by gespb19 »

Quick question on HD98 - why is Neil Abramson running unopposed? He has some favorable ratings from conservative groups (Louisiana Right to Life, NFIB, Louisiana Family Forum, etc). It looks like that district takes in some of the more liberal neighborhoods (Uptown, Carrollton, Audubon, etc) plus Tulane and Loyola. I would have thought there'd be a more progressive type in that district, although I may be reading too much into the ratings from those organizations.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #359 on: October 01, 2015, 12:09:28 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2015, 12:13:33 AM by smoltchanov »

^ Don't know anything specific for this particular district, but, looking at filings data, i got an impression that a lot of possible challenges were "delayed" until 2019, when about 35-40% of Legislature will be term-limited. For example - Republicans left Jerry Gisclair and Mike Danahay unopposed in (approximately) R+33 and R+31 districts  (HD-54 and HD-33) (and if Danahay is a conservative (even more then few Republicans) Gisclair is a "centrist" (by Louisiana standards, not national one)). At the same time Democrats left Bryan Adams and Tom Willmott (both - "pragmatic conservatives") unopposed in HD-85 and HD-92, despite even Obama winning about 49 and more then 50% of vote there... May be Abramson case is among them too - he is term-limited in 2019, possibly - entrenched, and potential candidates simply decided to wait..

P.S. After looking at filing data i see only 3-4 Democratic House districts endangered HD-41 (almost sure flip), HD-32, HD-39, and (considerably less likely) may be HD-60, but even less -  Republican (may be - HD-103 and few other)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #360 on: October 01, 2015, 01:48:38 PM »

Sabato moves this race from Safe Republican to Likely Republican
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #361 on: October 09, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »

The RGA is spending $1M in ads comparing Edwards to Obama. I never could have seen that coming.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #362 on: October 12, 2015, 01:55:01 AM »

The Times-Picayune, New Orleans' major paper, in something of a surprise, endorsed Vitter.

The Gambit, which is also a popular New Orleans paper, endorsed Dardenne.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #363 on: October 12, 2015, 02:08:51 AM »

The Times-Picayune, New Orleans' major paper, in something of a surprise, endorsed Vitter.

The Times-Picayune Editorial Board endorsement is the most mystifying thing I have ever read. They basically give credit to Vitter for Landrieu's New Orleans recovery bill, say that he works with his opponents in Congress, and that we can trust him at his word. This from the man that solicited prostitutes in diapers.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #364 on: October 12, 2015, 04:47:07 AM »

Surprise. I never considered this newspaper to be especially right-wing. And i can't imagine anyone, except right-wing, to support Vitter. Dardenne - yes, Angelle - may be, but Vitter?Huh
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #365 on: October 15, 2015, 03:54:27 AM »

I checked legislator's voting records against Shor-McCarty database for 1993-2014 period looking for ideological orientation of candidates (many of whom were legislators at some moments of this period) (in fact - this is the only almost complete "ideology oriented" data base for state legislators, that i know). Edwards (who, frequently is characterized as "conservaDem" (especially on sites like DKE)) is, in fact, THE  most liberal of present day WHITE Democratic legislators of Louisiana with rating -0.25 ("somewhat left-of-center"), despite rather conservative record on social issues (100% rating from "ProLife Louisiana" for example). So, he seems to be more of the old school "southern populist" type (they almost always were considerably more liberal on economy then on social issues). Vitter has 0.746 (solid conservative, but far from being THE most extremist among Louisiana politicians), Dardenne -  0.721 (only slightly less conservative). Angelle, alas, was parish president, Lt. Governor, PSC member, but never - legislator (IMHO - his rating would be similar).

Among Lt. Governor candidates Holden has very liberal -0.725 (many black legislators are considerably less liberal then that), Young and Nungesser never served in legislature (one is current, another - former parish president), Guillory was rather conservative (0.187) Democrat before becoming even more conservative (0.623) Republican. For SoS Schedler is slightly more "moderate" then Republican  governor candidates (2 ratings for different years give him 0.691 and 0.494 correspondingly), while Tyson has no ratings.

For AG only Landry has ratings for his congressional (he never was a state legislator) service, and it's well-known, that he is VERY conservative. Donelon (Comm. of Insurance) has rather typical for Republican candidates 0.728, Kennedy (Treasurer) never served in Legislature AFAIK, but usually is listed among relatively "moderate" Republican candidates (by THEIR standards of course..). And, finally, "Mike" Strain (Comm. of Agriculture) belongs to roughly the same camp, scoring 0.585 during his legislative service...

Of course - these numbers can't give a complete picture of ideological views of statewide candidates, but at least - they give some food for thought...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #366 on: October 16, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »

Even with the recent polling that suggests Edwards could make the runoff?

Sabato's predictions and analysis are garbage.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #367 on: October 16, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »

Correct, this should be a toss-up.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #368 on: October 18, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »

You guys say this every damn year...
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #369 on: October 18, 2015, 08:00:46 PM »

If they want to run ads comparing Edwards to Obama, then why isn't the DNC running ads screaming from the hilltops that David Vitter is a John with a diaper fetish who told a hooker he knocked up to have an abortion?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #370 on: October 18, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »

If they want to run ads comparing Edwards to Obama, then why isn't the DNC running ads screaming from the hilltops that David Vitter is a John with a diaper fetish who told a hooker he knocked up to have an abortion?

Because they want to face him in the runoff.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #371 on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »

Oh, some random PAC has been running ads about Vitter's diaper fetish, not necessarily the Dems though.  Vitter has plenty of enemies.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #372 on: October 22, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »

RRH has a good preview of the elections tomorrow...I haven't really had time to put together anything substantive about the downballot races, so I'll defer to them!

Statewide races.
Legislative races.
JMT

« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »

With each day that passes it is looking more likely that Democrats may end up with a surprising win here with John Bel Edwards. I bet Mitch Landrieu wishes he ran for governor now...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »

^ I actually think that Democrats were better off running a fresh face. Landrieu has become somewhat less popular as mayor. Vitter would still be unpopular and it would probably still be close, but I think Landrieu would be doing worse.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies