Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:06:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 61
Author Topic: Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog  (Read 173766 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: November 19, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »

Going to stick with my 6 point Edwards win.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1026 on: November 19, 2015, 09:33:22 PM »

Reminds me of what happened a few days before Kentucky...

Anyway, I'm maintaining my 55-45 Vitter win prediction.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1027 on: November 19, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »

Edwards won't govern as a liberal if he's elected, we can be pretty sure about that. I'm not sure he'll be the conservadem people claim that he is, though. I'm guessing he'll be more moderate than most Democratic governors, but still clearly a Democrat.

I'm predicting about a 4.5% victory for Edwards, but my concern is that the recent focus on national security will help Vitter, and might just be enough for him to sneak past Edwards. I'm still guessing Edwards will win, but I'm not extremely confident in that prediction.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1028 on: November 19, 2015, 09:56:34 PM »

General Russel Honore', who was considering running for Governor (but obviously decided not to) endorsed Edwards. Honore' is known for major role in reigning in the chaos in New Orleans directly following Katrina - he's since been a vocal advocate for coastal restoration.

Yep!

I have to work so I am going to miss the fun. Sad

Anyway, still backing Edwards here. I hope he wins.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1029 on: November 19, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »

This thing is in two days. Final thoughts?

Vitter creams Edwards by 5 to 8 points.

So what's the "Texas Democrat" part of your username?  It can't possibly mean you identify as a socially conservative Southern Democrat because you'd probably, you know, be supporting the socially conservative Democrat in the race...
Talleyrand be trollin'.

Anyway I'm a bit nervous here now, but more because I worry Vitter's dog-whistling and a move towards national security is working rather than #analysis that Louisiana is deep red and Dems can't win those sort of states. Will still say Edwards wins....but I'm less confident now than I was a week ago.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1030 on: November 19, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »

The thing that's giving me confidence is that Edwards is still polling over 50% overall. Unlike Conway in KY who struggled to cross the mid-40s.

I'm predicting a ... 52-48% Edwards win.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1031 on: November 19, 2015, 10:28:06 PM »

"Prostitutes over Patriots"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/19/john-bel-edwards/phone-records-voting-record-back-claims-attack-ad-/
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1032 on: November 20, 2015, 12:26:08 AM »

This thing is in two days. Final thoughts?

Vitter creams Edwards by 5 to 8 points.

So what's the "Texas Democrat" part of your username?  It can't possibly mean you identify as a socially conservative Southern Democrat because you'd probably, you know, be supporting the socially conservative Democrat in the race...

My friend, I am no longer a Democrat, having quit the party 2 years ago. Even if I did identify as one, there's no way I'd back an Obama-coddling liar like John Edwards, who is 100% pro-choice. David Vitter has a proven record of fighting tax-and-spend Washington establishment dinosaurs and getting real, tangible results. Anyone with even only half a brain would back him over the awful iguana!

Absolute and outright lie. Prolife Louisiana (which surely knows better) gave Edwards 100% rating year after year. So, you are a liar. End of story..
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1033 on: November 20, 2015, 02:10:01 AM »

Have you guys been following the 500 million dollar budget hole fiasco? Jindal's plan to fill the hole he has dug is so odious, and it is going to remind Louisiana voters just what 8 years of Republican leadership has gotten them. Not good for Vitter certainly, even if Jindal is his enemy.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1034 on: November 20, 2015, 02:18:48 AM »

Great article about the Edwards' family and the current state of the race:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/20/louisiana-s-mudslinging-governor-s-race-can-blue-dog-democrat-john-bel-edwards-whip-david-vitter.html
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1035 on: November 20, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »

If Vitter wins, this would probably be the biggest polling failure of the last decade at least.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Get ready for history to be made!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1036 on: November 20, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »

If Vitter wins, this would probably be the biggest polling failure of the last decade at least.

You really think he will lose?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1037 on: November 20, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »

I'm not confident at all that he'll win. It's the South.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1038 on: November 20, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »

I'm not confident at all that he'll win. It's the South.
^^^^^^^^^^
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1039 on: November 20, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »

Comparing it to Kansas is a poor comparison, because Kansas is a traditionally Republican state up and down the ballot. Davis only polled above 50% in one poll, which was Rasmussen and that was an outlier from other polls, which pushed the average overall toward him. With this race, there has been more consistency and Vitter has been in a tougher position than Brownback.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1040 on: November 20, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »

JMC (whoever they are) has Edwards up by 5%, a drop from 16% per the same polling outfit 3 days earlier. What's going on?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1041 on: November 20, 2015, 12:12:48 PM »

The two basic differences between Kentucky and Louisiana this election cycle are:

1)Nothing comparable in Louisiana to coal in Kentucky (an isolated utterly dependent region is losing their only source of jobs--and of course Obama is to blame)

2) Bevins had party unity, endorsed by all his primary opponents and even campaigned on the theme the last week.

In Louisiana the two largest Parishes are East Baton Rouge and Jefferson.  In East Baton Rouge the largest Republican vote getter (by more than 2-1 over Vitter) has endorsed Edwards.  In Jefferson Parish a whole raft of elected Republicans, led by the Parish Sheriff have endorsed Edwards and are actively working against Vitter.  Now, I don't know how politics works in your state, but around here if you go to the trouble to break party ranks you want to finish the job, you don't that person in a position of power.  

Beyond that you have concrete information like the early vote numbers which show a strong upward trend in Urban voting, including urban whites and a downtrend in rural counties that Vitter would have to dominate.  

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1042 on: November 20, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »

Vittermentum!

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1043 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »

With the new JMC poll, I'm switching my prediction to Vitter.

50.5 Vitter
49.5 Edwards

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm over compensating for what happened in Kentucky, but it looks like Vitter is getting the necessary swing from white voters that he needs to win. Hopefully Edwards banked enough votes in the early period to overcome the swing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1044 on: November 20, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »

50.5 Vitter
49.5 Edwards

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm over compensating for what happened in Kentucky, but it looks like Vitter is getting the necessary swing from white voters that he needs to win. Hopefully Edwards banked enough votes in the early period to overcome the swing.

Except that that RRH poll had Vitter winning the early votes.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1045 on: November 20, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »

50.5 Vitter
49.5 Edwards

That polls seemed off.

Here is a link to the RRH poll, in case it was not put it. The most interesting thing is that of the close to half of the voters who have already voted, Vitter leads 48% to 44% over Edwards. The poll has those who have not yet voted, but likely to vote, going 52% to 36% for Edwards. That strikes me as a rather amazing discrepancy.

They way oversampled early voters.

21% of the primary electorate voted early, which was the highest early vote share in any recent statewide election.

Hmmm. That seems like a major flaw doesn't it?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1046 on: November 20, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2015, 12:38:17 PM by Torie »

50.5 Vitter
49.5 Edwards

That polls seemed off.

Here is a link to the RRH poll, in case it was not put it. The most interesting thing is that of the close to half of the voters who have already voted, Vitter leads 48% to 44% over Edwards. The poll has those who have not yet voted, but likely to vote, going 52% to 36% for Edwards. That strikes me as a rather amazing discrepancy.

They way oversampled early voters.

21% of the primary electorate voted early, which was the highest early vote share in any recent statewide election.

Hmmm. That seems like a major flaw doesn't it?

It certainly seems off as to the relative proportion of the voters who voted early, but whether it is also off as to how the probably smaller proportion of the early voters actually voted, is another matter. In any event, the JMC poll seems to be reasonably in sync with the RRH poll. Of course, both polls could be junk. We shall find out. Polls in general are getting less and less reliable. In time, maybe polls in general will become things of the past. There is just no way to get a reliable sample anymore. So it becomes more of an art than a science.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1047 on: November 20, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »

I'm staying with my earlier 52-48 Edwards prediction, but I have new predictions for the other races:

Nungesser 56
Holden 44

Landry 52
Caldwell 48
BigSkyBob

« Reply #1048 on: November 20, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »

50.5 Vitter
49.5 Edwards

Well, the JMC poll had Edwards winning the early vote 51% to 44.% If RRH's poll of early voters was correct, and, its assumption of a 26% Black total turnout is correct, Vitter is actually leading.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1049 on: November 20, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »

I could have added several more, but I did an AOS article looking at 8 parishes to watch.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies